Skip navigation

1139 Views 3 Replies Latest reply: Jun 29, 2011 4:04 PM by Pawner69 RSS
tori1148 Rookie 2 posts since
Dec 23, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Jun 8, 2011 9:56 PM

Meeting other cyclists?

I'm new to biking and I don't really have anyone in my life who also does it. I've trained for charity rides on my own, but I would love a partner. The only problem is I currently ride a intensely heavy bike bike from the early seventies (it's not a vintage cruiser, the guy at the bike shop who tuned it up said it was a "mixie") and I'm pretty slow. I don't know where to meet other people who are at the same level I am. I'm not a total beginner, I've routinely do long rides of 30+ miles, but I'm no where near where it seems the people in my local bike club are. Anyone have any suggestions?

www.bigfatbiker.com I'm kind of ok with the first two as long as I can keep doing the last one.

• Richard Linda White Rookie 5 posts since
    Oct 20, 2010
    1. Jun 9, 2011 7:25 PM (in response to tori1148)
    Re: Meeting other cyclists?

first question is where are you.

There are lots of groups out there.  meetup.com may have a cycling group in your area.  Check for your local biking association, and often bike shops have weekly rides.

• Gotta Ride Today Amateur 26 posts since
    May 25, 2007
    2. Jun 19, 2011 7:16 AM (in response to tori1148)

I bet if you get on a modern bike with index shifting, a lighter frame, an skinny tires you will find your are right in the middle of the folks you see riding around you.  Keep doing the charity ride/ club ride events in your area and you will meet cyclists to ride with. Many of the same folks ride those events week in week out and you can take the opportunity to network.  Also ask around at your local bike shop (LBS) and I'm sure you'll meet some like minded folks. Good luck and ride often! 

Gotta Ride Today

aka Chuck Faulkner

Tazewell, TN 37987

http://www.jeffrothcyclingfoundation.org/

• Pawner69 Rookie 1 posts since
    Jun 29, 2011
    3. Jun 29, 2011 4:04 PM (in response to tori1148)
    My advise...just get out there and join a bike club.  You sound exactly like me and I was very worried about slowing everyone down but my club has different rides during the week...slower no-drop rides (which are for me) and then the faster more intense rides for the more advanced riders.  I have learned so much just in the short time being a member and I have made new friends.  I even have my "absolutly no way will I ever ride bike after a long day of work" husband considering buying a bike and joining too.  Good luck to you!  Believe me...a club is a fantastic idea! :)

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points