Skip navigation

NEED HELP?|

2883 Views 17 Replies Latest reply: Jul 7, 2011 9:20 AM by DawgDays 1 2 Previous Next
Mike_CVUA Legend 593 posts since
May 25, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Jun 9, 2011 8:08 AM

LL 60' - SOLO - Tough Call!

There I was....... [The beginning of every fighter pilot story!]

I was doing a LL 60' game solo.  R1, R2.  No outs.

B3 hits what looks like a nubber that jumps towards the line.  F5 charges and hopes to retire F2 at the bag.  F6 is husting over, so F5 throws to F6 (a great down-and-out pass!), and then F6 tags R2 well before the bag!  I call, "On the tag, he's out!"

The 3B coach (OM) in a polite and tempered manner asks if I had seen the ball hit B3 in the leg while he was in the box.  I pondered if that's why the call took the funny hop that it did toward F5.  I had no options except to ask B3 (who was stating on 1B.)  "Show me where the ball hit you."  A loaded question!  I guess he was gimping a little and pointed to his thigh.

I reversed the call to a foul ball.

I felt that if I were not sure if it were a foul, then I should let the play continue, as it's easy to unring that bell.

But if I had incorrectly ruled "foul", then no play would have taken place, and my incorrect call clearly would have affected the play, and you can't unring a call of foul!

Clearly, had I had a FU, he would have set me straight.  Don't know what else I could have done.

Suggestions?  Discussions?

Thanks.

Mike CVUA

• LarryS Expert 57 posts since
    May 13, 2000
    1. Jun 9, 2011 9:02 AM (in response to Mike_CVUA)
    Re: LL 60' - SOLO - Tough Call!

Its a real pickle.  I've been there.

The general rule of thumb is to never ask a batter if the ball hit him.

Or, on a pitch, did the ball hit the arm before the bat or the bat before the arm.

Not having been there, my gut would have been to stay with the out on the tag, and explain that you did not see the ball hit the batter in the box, and you can only call what you see.

(you could add, if you want a second opinion, there would have had to be 2 blue on the game)

Getting information from a coach or a batter in your situation is affecting a JUDGEMENT call.

tricky slope.

larry

• beowulf37 Legend 219 posts since
    May 25, 2007
    2. Jun 9, 2011 12:36 PM (in response to Mike_CVUA)

Two things:

1. I would NEVER ask a player to make a call, which is exactly what you did.  This isn't like asking a fielder to show you the ball adter a tag play.  You didn't see it hit him.  Have you ever asked a kid if he offered at a pitch? 
    2. That's what you get when you work alone.  I'm not saying it's your fault, but those are the hardest calls for the plate ump to make and the teams are going to have to live with your decision. 
  • MyTwoSons Community Moderator 224 posts since
    May 30, 2007
    3. Jun 9, 2011 9:43 AM (in response to beowulf37)

Connie Mack game...My son is mowing down batters, who were swinging just trying to make contact.  One kid has 2 K's on him when he makes a big ugly swing on a nasty 2 seam that was tailing in.  The pitch missed his bat (or vice versa) on a full swing and hit the batter on top hand inside forearm.  Batter whined that he was hit by the pitch (some words were exchange between the teams that can't be posted here).   I yelled out that it was a swinging dead ball strike. Umpire didn't think he went around and gave him the base.  It was the only base my son gave up.  It really didn't matter because my son struck out the next batter.  My son K'd  7 in 3 innings to get the save.

• HugoTafurst Legend 515 posts since
    May 25, 2007
    4. Jun 9, 2011 11:04 AM (in response to LarryS)

I agree with Larry and Beowulf:

Don't ask a player what happened!

Man up - tell the coach you are sory, but you didn't see the ball hit the batter.

oops

May 30, 2007
    5. Jun 9, 2011 12:03 PM (in response to MyTwoSons)

@ Beowulf37   Well this is the place to talk about it.  This where we discuss Little League & Youth Baseball,  Sports Discussions, Etc.  My son is not a little one either.

YOU PLAY NICE TOO- MODERATOR

May 30, 2007
    6. Jun 9, 2011 2:49 PM (in response to MyTwoSons)

Earlier in this same game, the umpire rang up batter runner saying the lead runner did not slide and was not in the vincinity of 2nd base trying to break up a 4-6-3 play.  My son was the SS; he smiled and took the double play gift.

• Frank_B Legend 1,324 posts since
    May 30, 2007
    7. Jun 9, 2011 3:33 PM (in response to Mike_CVUA)

"There I was.....[The beginning of every fighter pilot story!]

With your hands outstretched, palms down, is your air-craft the left hand or the right hand as you track both pilot's manevuers? 

Frank!

• Mason_Dixon_Blue Legend 250 posts since
    May 25, 2007
    8. Jun 9, 2011 5:05 PM (in response to Mike_CVUA)

The 3B coach (OM) in a polite and tempered manner asks if I had seen the ball hit B3 in the leg while he was in the box.

In my opinion, the only correct answer is:  No I didn't.  If I would have I would have called it foul.

• DarrenS Amateur 31 posts since
    May 25, 2007
    9. Jun 10, 2011 4:28 AM (in response to Mike_CVUA)

Mike - I would have to agree with those who say reversing the call without having seen it was not the correct thing to do.  I had the exact same thing happen to me, working solo, 2 weeks ago.  OM comes out and says a ball that I saw and heard hit the bat also hit the batter in the leg after it hit the bat.  I tell him I'm sorry, but I didn't see it (or hear it) hit him and there is no one I can ask for help, so the out at first stood.  It probably did hit him, but I can't call what I didn't see or hear.

Sorry man.

• HugoTafurst Legend 515 posts since
    May 25, 2007
    10. Jun 10, 2011 6:12 AM (in response to Frank_B)

Frank_B wrote:

"There I was.....[The beginning of every fighter pilot story!]

With your hands outstretched, palms down, is your air-craft the left hand or the right hand as you track both pilot's manevuers? 

Frank!    

I thought every fighter pilot story begins with:

"I swear, this really happened, no sh1t"

oops

• Michael_Taylor Community Moderator 318 posts since
    May 25, 2007
    11. Jun 10, 2011 11:33 AM (in response to HugoTafurst)

I'm 100% with Bill, no, if I had I would have called it foul. At that point any further discussion is met with me telling the coach to go to his box.

Michael S. Taylor

• trexonu Pro 163 posts since
    Feb 22, 2009
    12. Jun 13, 2011 9:44 AM (in response to Mike_CVUA)

Simple equations here: 

See it . = . call it

Don't see it. = .don't call it

• NathanQ Legend 378 posts since
    Nov 12, 2008
    13. Jun 14, 2011 8:24 AM (in response to Mike_CVUA)

I am curious - why not work behind the pitcher if you are solo?  Or better yet pull a parent from the stands to be BU?

• Michael_Taylor Community Moderator 318 posts since
    May 25, 2007
    14. Jun 14, 2011 10:07 AM (in response to NathanQ)

I am curious - why not work behind the pitcher if you are solo?  Or better yet pull a parent from the stands to be BU?

Nooooooooooooo! Never, ever go behind the pitcher unless you get caught with no gear. Pulling a parent is OK but a complete wild card. When you behind the pitcher, your ability to call balls and strikes is seriously hampered, your ability to call fair/foul is nil, the ability to call catches is decreased. No chance at all to watch leaving early. Your safe/outs on the bases are somewhat better. So you take 90% of what you need to do and decrease the accuracy from 60% to 0% to increase calling bases slightly.

Michael S. Taylor

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...