Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

84762 Views 705 Replies Latest reply: Oct 16, 2011 4:55 PM by cindy1019 RSS 1 2 3 ... 48 Previous Next
sarah7825 Amateur 26 posts since
Jun 10, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Sep 3, 2011 5:41 AM

Mid-June Beginners (C25K)

Who is with me?!! Anyone starting today or sometime close to today (June 10) - please post! I've never done ANYTHING like this before! I have a lot of FB friends who are doing it (or have done it) and I just downloaded the iPhone app and I'm actually excited to start! My husband and I are gonna do it together. I even found a 5K that is 11 weeks out - that's the best I could do - so I'm hopeful we can maintain or even improve after we complete the 9 weeks. My name is Sarah (34) - my hubby is Duncan (34) and we have 2 kids who are 5 & 2!

Sarah (Started C25K June 10. Finished August 31. 5K with hubby on Sept. 17)

SAHM to Rachel (5) & Jack (2)

• akaerock Pro 120 posts since
    Apr 7, 2010
    1. Jun 10, 2011 10:35 AM (in response to sarah7825)
    Re: Starting TONIGHT! (June 10)

Hi Sara, Duncan welcome to active.com.  Im training for  my first marathon so I wont be joining but Ill be watching this thread to see you progress.  What program are you doing the C25k?

Good luck and have fun!!! AND KEEP US POSTED!

Try different things, until you find a routine that works for your physique, metabolism, time constraints, etc. Then train smart, with consistency and intensity, and you will be successful.” Iron Charles http://bodyspace.bodybuilding.com/IronCharles/

2012 AKAEROCK'S EVENT SCHEDULE

Training Log at Daily Mile

My Facebook Page

• ThinBound (Jaime) Pro 113 posts since
    May 31, 2011
    2. Jun 10, 2011 10:41 AM (in response to sarah7825)

Hi Sarah! I started on Monday so I figure that's close enough. Like you, I've never done anything like this and being a mom  to 4 yr old doesn't make it any easier. If you want, I'll do the program with you.

• Alder2011 Legend 203 posts since
    Apr 8, 2011
    3. Jun 10, 2011 11:07 AM (in response to ThinBound (Jaime))

Congrats Sarah, Duncan, and Thinbound, for making the decision to become more active and change your lives for the better.  I am actually getting ready to finish C25K, just having done W9D1 yesterday.  My first event in a 2 mile run in 2 weeks, and my first 5K is in July.  When I started, I couldn't even run a minute without getting wore out and gasping for air.  I learned to slow down and just take my time, and now I am running for 30 minutes straight, very slowly, but I'm moving, and that's all that matters.  Take your time and follow the program, and I promise you it will work.  Simon Says, so it has to be true.  Ha Ha.  You will have bad days, and you will have sore muscles, but just keep moving.  The bad days come and go, but in the end, you will be a better person, for yourself, your husband, your kids, and your friends.  Let me tell you, it's addictive.  I had to leave my gym clothes at home today just to force myself to take a day off.  I hope your journey is as fun and successful as mine has been.  I will keep an eye on you.  I have a group that has been with me the whole journey, and we are all starting the B210K next week.  Watch for a new thread and you can follow us, or you can follow my blog with the link below.  Good luck and I look forward to hearing your stories.

Take care.

Simon

Race Results:

2011 Fun Fourth 2.2 Mile Run : (22:08)

Beat The Heat 5K : (33:14) "The Bar Is Set"

Upcoming Tentative Plans:

No Race plans.  Just running for now.

My Running Blog:

http://joggingproud.wordpress.com/

My Virtual Life

http://www.facebook.com/Alder2000

My fundraising for MS Society:

http://main.nationalmssociety.org/goto/Alder2011

• PerformanceCoachingLLC Amateur 39 posts since
    Feb 7, 2011
    4. Jun 10, 2011 1:51 PM (in response to sarah7825)

Welcome!

Congrats on making a commitment.

What area are you from? What's your fitness base right now?  Are you walking? Do you two have a jogging stroller?

Questions, questions and more questions

• NurseAshley Rookie 1 posts since
    Jun 10, 2011
    5. Jun 10, 2011 6:25 PM (in response to sarah7825)

I'll join, I plan on starting tomorrow. I would love to "love" running, but I don't, but I'm going to try   I know a lot of runners that look fabulous, and are in great shape, and they actually love it and do it for enjoyment which is just weird to me right now, lol, but I'm the exact opposite, so here we go. I've been quite sedentary for the last few years. I've got a 4yr old and a 2yr old and I've been in nursing school for the last 2 years (actually 5yrs but 2yrs of the difficult full time program), I graduate with my RN in 8wks and I want to be lighter and to look and feel better by then. I'm really overweight, and I think that has been part of the reason I've avoided this for so long because I'm afraid of hurting myself. I know my ankles and knees are probably very strained and not very strong right now, so I'm nervous but I really want to do this. I'm going to be careful to warm up and cool down, and to eat healthy and try to fuel for the sessions though.

• TSRunner Pro 85 posts since
    Jun 6, 2011
    6. Jun 10, 2011 7:24 PM (in response to NurseAshley)

Hi Sarah! I started this week, but it kicked my butt, so I'm repeating week one, starting Monday. I'd love to do this with you too. I'm a mom of 5, 40 yrs old, and oh so out of shape! I've wanted to be a runner for decades, but this is my first time going for it. My daughter is doing it with me. Good for you and your hubby for taking on the challenge together. I'm sure this is going to be an awesome ride!!!!!!!!!

"The Greatest pleasure in life, is doing the things people say we cannot do." - Walter Bagehot

http://onbecomingarunner.blogspot.com/

May 31, 2011
    7. Jun 11, 2011 5:08 AM (in response to sarah7825)

So how did everyone's first run go?

• oldohioron Pro 113 posts since
    Jun 11, 2011
    8. Jun 11, 2011 5:59 AM (in response to sarah7825)

Hi Sarah and Duncan, I'm in. I just finished W1D3 and it is going well. I used to run but it has been 40 years ago. I am 63 and in fair shape, but my knees have always kept me from running again. I am sure that I just tried to do too much too fast (the old body used to be able to do that). But I am going to try. Then when I was doing W1D2 my wife (Liz) decided she was going to try it too. She has never run a day in her life. But she is going to try. That is all anyone can do. I am planning to do a 5k in mid August even if I have to walk!

Ron

Age 65

Started C25K June 6, 2011

Completed C25K August 6, 2011

Lions Club 5K August 13, 2011........................... 25:54

Sole to Soul 5k March 31, 2012.......................... 23:52

Home Run for the Homeless April 28, 2012 ..........24:15

May in Bay May 26, 2012................................... 22:43 1st in AG

Fat Little 5k June 16, 2012.................................. 22:39.6

Lions Club 5k August 11, 2012............................ 21:51 1st in AG PR

North Coast Challenge Sept 1, 2012.................... 40:30 PR

May 31, 2011
    12. Jun 11, 2011 8:18 AM (in response to sarah7825)

My run went really well, much better than it did at the beginning of the week since I ran W1D3 last night. I thought about re-doing the week but decided I'll stick with the schedule since I have about a month after the entire program is done before me event to make up any time. I really wish I had a jogging stroller but that's not it the budget right now so I guess I'll just beat up my regular one. I'm not making anywhere close to the time per mile that I want but that comes with practice.

• PerformanceCoachingLLC Amateur 39 posts since
    Feb 7, 2011
    14. Jun 11, 2011 9:43 AM (in response to sarah7825)

It's great to see you motivated!  The early phase of a walking/running(jogging) program is very important.  You are incorporating new muscles, tendons and ligaments in a manor they are not used to and it takes time for them to build the proper strength for running.  You cannot rush this process.  Adaption is important for injury prevention.

All of you are not the same   You will progress at different levels.  Life has a way of side tracking us.  Being consistent with your program is important but we all know things come up.

Finding that "time" to do your workout might be a challenge but it looks like you are finding it.

Happy Saturday!

1 2 3 ... 48 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...