Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

24990 Views 192 Replies Latest reply: Aug 23, 2011 9:10 AM by mkayc RSS Go to original post 1 2 3 4 ... 13 Previous Next
  • Alder2011 Legend 203 posts since
    Apr 8, 2011
    Currently Being Moderated
    15. Jun 13, 2011 5:06 AM (in response to MichaelS75)
    Re: From C25k to B210k

Great job Michael.  I see you conquored your First 5K, and with a very good time.  Nice Job.  Look forward to doing the B210K with you.  If you don't want to do intervals, Trainer.active.com has a free program called the Active PALA 10K Training Program.  I don't think there are intervals in that one.  I have considered that one too.

Race Results:

2011 Fun Fourth 2.2 Mile Run : (22:08)

Beat The Heat 5K : (33:14) "The Bar Is Set"

Upcoming Tentative Plans:

No Race plans.  Just running for now.

My Running Blog:

http://joggingproud.wordpress.com/

My Virtual Life

http://www.facebook.com/Alder2000

My fundraising for MS Society:

http://main.nationalmssociety.org/goto/Alder2011

• MichaelS75 Pro 168 posts since
    Apr 29, 2011
    16. Jun 13, 2011 6:00 AM (in response to Alder2011)

Thank you Simon and likewise. 

I'll have to check out that plan.  Right now I'm leaning towards the Bluefin software B210K plan, only because it's the same company that I used for C25K and I'm familiar with it. 

C25K Graduate 6/15/11

Gibson Guitars 5k (6/11/11, first 5k, 34:58)

Comcast Firecracker 5k (7/3/11, 31:13)

Forrest Spence 5k (8/27/11, 28:15)

Chick-Fil-A 5k (9/5/11, 29:26)

Cooper Young Festival 4-Miler (9/16/11, 36:30)

Camp Good Grief 5k (10/2/11, 28:45)

LeBonheur Pumpkin Run 5k (10/8/11, 27:09)

Home Run 5k (10/23/11, 27:55)

Turkey Trot 4-Miler (11/24/11, 36:50)

St. Jude Half Marathon (12/3/11, 2:22:33)

Apr 8, 2011
    17. Jun 13, 2011 6:46 AM (in response to MichaelS75)

I used Suzi's Podcasts for the C25K, and I just downloaded all the podcasts from the B210K facebook page for the B210K intervals.

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/pages/The-Bridge-to-10k-Running-Plan/145242572169075

Race Results:

My Running Blog:

My Virtual Life

• Katie21784 Pro 128 posts since
    Apr 5, 2011
    18. Jun 13, 2011 7:07 AM (in response to baymacae)

So when is everyone actually starting B210K?  I'm really considering starting with y'all, but wanted to try to be on the same week as everyone (or at least the majority) because I know I'm going to need accountability to stick with the program and not just go out for my run like I've been doing    I'm also trying to figure out the best way to approach this as I didn't see a good free app for the Droid (maybe I overlooked it, or maybe I'm going to have to suck it up and pay for an app).

Follow me on Twitter: @KatieRUNning

Race Results

6/4/11 - Salvation Army Dash From Disaster 2 Mile Run - 18:55.5

6/25/11 - Tomato Festival 5K - 28:15

7/4/11 - The Great Commission 4 Miler - 37:30 (2nd place in my age group)

7/9/11 - Swinging Bridge 5K - 31:12

7/16/11 - Hit The Bricks 5K - 28:36

8/6/11 - Run For The Son 5K

Find me and follow my training on www.mapmyfitness.com by searching for katie21784@gmail.com

• jliller3 Pro 119 posts since
    May 6, 2011
    19. Jun 13, 2011 7:23 AM (in response to baymacae)

Hey Michael - I've been researching 10K programs too.  There are 2 that I found that don't do intervals.  Hal Higdons and One Hour Runner.  Most people are doing B210K so I am leaning toward that one since we will all be in it together again.  That seems to really help me.

If anyone has good info on why to choose one over the other, I'd love to hear it.  I will be starting next week, doing C25K W9D1 today.

Congrats on graduating everyone.  I'll see you over here next week.  :)

Happy running

Jeannette

"Spectacular achievements are always preceded by unspectacular preparation" ~Roger Staubach

Started C25K - April 18, 2011

Graduated C25K - June 17, 2011

Started Hal Higdon's Half Marathon Program - June 19, 2011

First 5K - July 2, 2011  Time:  34:21

2nd 5K - August 13, 2011   Time:  33:18

Apr 8, 2011
    20. Jun 13, 2011 7:39 AM (in response to jliller3)

It looks like my link worked.  I'm glad the newbie crowd is starting to find us over here in the 10K section.  Nevermind, no need to move back.

Katie, I am doing W9D3 of C25K, so as of lunch today, I will be officially ready for B210K.  Ask my C25K crowd, or look through our old thread, Today is W2D1, and you will see that I have a history of doing consecutive days.  So maybe I will start B210K tomorrow, but maybe Wednesday.  As long as we stay pretty close to each other, they support will not be far away.  Accountability is here, don't you worry.  Denise, Marcy, Bayley, Laura, and myself are very good at stepping on heels to get you moving........ LOL.   Our group stuck together through C25K.  The front runner changed a few times, but we all stuck together, and that's all that matters.  My dental surgery knocked me out of the lead, and Denise didn't think twice around pushing ahead and leaving me in the dust..........and not look at her..........1/2 Marathon graduate..........Wow.........and she's gettng ready to do a 5K in the town I grew up in.  Now that I am caught back up, I will try to stick to the program.  Just don't get too far ahead of us, or I will be forced to sneak up on you and tie your shoes together........ha ha ha.  Wouldn't be the first time, right Denise?

Welcome to our world, as twisted as our humor can be.  I hope you stick around, and we will do our best to keep you going.  I'm talking to you also Jeanette and Michael.  Let's get running.

What part of the country are you guys in?

I'm in hot hot hot North Carolina.  I am have be force to use the treadmill at work, but last night, I finally got back outside, even though I got rained on. LOL.  It felt good though. Treadmill today for my graduation.

Happy running team.

Simon

Race Results:

My Running Blog:

My Virtual Life

Apr 5, 2011
    21. Jun 13, 2011 7:50 AM (in response to Alder2011)

Simon, I run consecutive days too (Mon-Thurs, Fri is off day, Sat, and occasionally on Sundays as well).  Although, what I did when I did C25K was just stay on the current week longer, instead of going ahead and moving up to week 2 after I completed 3 days worth of training.  It helped me keep track of where I was a little better and especially towards the end once the length of running started picking up, it helped me to get better adjusted before moving on.  I'm trying to decide whether to go ahead and start B210K today or wait a week or two.  I've got my first 5K in two weeks so I just want to make sure I stay on track with it, but I'd definitely like to be along the same place in the 10K training as y'all for the accountability.

I'm from Mississippi and have apparently gone crazy because I run at 3:00 in the afternoon and I run outside!  Yes, it's VERY hot, but I'm getting used to it as that's my only time to run, and I don't have anywhere inside to run

Race Results

Find me and follow my training on www.mapmyfitness.com by searching for katie21784@gmail.com

• manybcs Expert 45 posts since
    Apr 14, 2011
    22. Jun 13, 2011 8:43 AM (in response to Katie21784)

I'll finish C25K on Wednesday and will start B210K on Saturday.  I do follow the every other day with two days rest between weeks because I am petrified of getting hurt and so far, knock wood, have been injury free except for the angry toe.  Running didn't make the toe angry, though, it was my own stupidity.  I also have a, well, no other way to put it, rather substantial amount of weight that I need to lose so I've starting doing water running on off days to speed things up without pounding joints.  If everyone goes faster than me I'll still hang around because of a) accountability b) great stories c) support and d) the warped senses of humor.

For the record, I'm having SO much fun.  It's not a case of me getting back into shape.  I have to admit that at 43, I'm finally getting into shape for the first time.  Who knew that running could be this addictive???

Laura

Oh yeah....forgot to add that I'm going with the Bluefin app, bridge to 10k.  I think that's the best option for where I am and where I want to go.  I thought about the Ease into 10K program, but figure I'd go with bridge and just repeat any weeks if I run into trouble.  It'll be interesting to compare notes with those that choose different options.

Apr 8, 2011
    23. Jun 13, 2011 10:49 AM (in response to manybcs)

All done.  I did W9D3 during lunch today and ran an entire 5K in 32 minutes and 7 seconds.  Watch out Denise and Bayley, here I come.  Yeah!!!

c25k-grad.jpg

Race Results:

My Running Blog:

My Virtual Life

• SiberMom Pro 104 posts since
    Mar 28, 2011
    24. Jun 13, 2011 12:58 PM (in response to Alder2011)

Welcome Katie, Michael, and Jeanette.  I'm looking forward to doing B210K (or whatever program we choose) with you all!!!  In case you haven't read through the other thread, I am 49 and live in northern NY.  I have NEVER in my life been a runner, but I have completed a 5K and a half marathon since beginning C25K.  Now I'm looking to improve my times!

Simon, congratulations on your graduation!!!!!!!!!!!  Bayley and I both completed our first 5Ks before completing the program.  So watch out...we are looking to better our times every time we hit the asphalt!  My next adventure is on June 25th!

Laura, you are doing such a great job.  Keep on trekkin'.  That angry ole toe can't stop you!  Can you believe how hard grooming dogs is?  School gets out here at the end of next week and grooming the 8 Siberians is at the top of my agenda.  Do you use a grooming table?  My guys don't like it, but it is so much easier on my back.  I'm thinking of investing in a portable doggie tub, too.  Think are around $200.  I wonder if my boys will stay in there...lol.  Right now I do them with the hose on the ground.  I get wetter than they do.  If I weren't in such a remote area and wasn't quite so cheap, I'd just find a good groomer in the yellow pages...haha

Marcy, I look forward to hearing about your adventures in the water.  That sounds interesting.

Keep trekkin' team!

Denise

Cooter 5K completed May 28, 2011 in 34:05!

Lake Placid Half Marathon  June 12, 2011 in 2:48:06!

Madrid Bluegrass Ramble 5K completed  June 25, 2011 in 34:38!

Massena 5K completed July 2, 2011 in 34:48 with casualites...LOL!

Tour de Potsdam 5K completed July 14, 2011: untimed

Maine Half Marathon scheduled October 2, 2011

• manybcs Expert 45 posts since
    Apr 14, 2011
    25. Jun 13, 2011 2:07 PM (in response to SiberMom)

Denise, 8 sibes is a monumental task!  Yeah, I have a grooming table and actually wash them on the table...easier on the back.  Then I used a forced air dryer and blow the snot out of the coats.  It's helping since my borders decided blowing coat last month wasn't enough...they found a bit more undercoat to drop.  I used to have a metro dryer but it died.  I now have Chris Christensen box dryer that I love.  Instead of two speeds you can dial anything from barely on to full gale.  It's nice to tone things down a bit for faces and for the 6 lb. rescue poodle.  If I'm not careful he can blow right off the table. 

I've seen those tubs you can buy and they look really neat.  At this point I'll stick to my grooming table method, though.  I get almost as wet as the dogs.

Laura

• MichaelS75 Pro 168 posts since
    Apr 29, 2011
    26. Jun 13, 2011 5:49 PM (in response to Alder2011)

Alder2011 wrote:

Welcome to our world, as twisted as our humor can be.  I hope you stick around, and we will do our best to keep you going.  I'm talking to you also Jeanette and Michael.  Let's get running.

What part of the country are you guys in?

Happy running team.

Simon

Humor?  Twisted?  Count me in!

I'm in North Mississippi, Southaven to be exact, which sits just minutes away from Memphis.

Katie, which part of MS do you live in?

C25K Graduate 6/15/11

Gibson Guitars 5k (6/11/11, first 5k, 34:58)

Comcast Firecracker 5k (7/3/11, 31:13)

Forrest Spence 5k (8/27/11, 28:15)

Chick-Fil-A 5k (9/5/11, 29:26)

Cooper Young Festival 4-Miler (9/16/11, 36:30)

Camp Good Grief 5k (10/2/11, 28:45)

LeBonheur Pumpkin Run 5k (10/8/11, 27:09)

Home Run 5k (10/23/11, 27:55)

Turkey Trot 4-Miler (11/24/11, 36:50)

St. Jude Half Marathon (12/3/11, 2:22:33)

Apr 8, 2011
    28. Jun 14, 2011 4:24 AM (in response to baymacae)

Great Job everyone.  I am taking a well deserved and needed rest day today.  I really pushed for that 32 minute 5K yesterday and now my legs are feeling it.  I left my gym bag at home again so as not to get tempted by the sounds of the fitness center behind the walls near the mailboxes.  I might start B210K tomorrow, right on Bayleys heels.  who else is starting this week?  I need to put up a calendar app on here so we can keep track of each other.  Ha Ha.  My only dilemma between the different programs is that B210K is 6 weeks long and the PALA Active Beginner 10K training program is 9 weeks long.  I have not yet looked up the One hour runner program to see what it's like.  I guess I will at least stat with b210K since I already have the pod casts, and four 10-minute intervals doesn't seem too bad.  I don't mind the intervals.  You got to remember how well they worked during Week 5 of C25K.  We went from 8 minute runs to 20 minute runs, in a snap.  Intervals work.  I think the B210K intervals can work too.

Since it's a rest day for me, I will spend my lunch time researching the different programs for 10K training.  Instead of chasing the control panel on the treadmill.......LOL.

Have a great day everyone.

Happy trails.

Simon

Race Results:

My Running Blog:

My Virtual Life

Apr 5, 2011
    29. Jun 14, 2011 6:14 AM (in response to MichaelS75)

@Michael - I live in Brookhaven, which is about an hour south of Jackson.  However, I work in the Jackson area so that's generally where I get my runs in.  Maybe one day we can meet up at a race somewhere in the middle of us!

@Bayley - Yes, I've been told by quite a few people that I'm crazy haha.  I think this whole running thing really has effected my brain, BUT I will say that it's amazing how quickly you get used to the heat when you're out in it every day.  I also try to make sure when I AM in the air conditioner, I don't keep it too cool so that it's not as bad when I leave work and go run (for instance, I keep my window open at work, granted this is partly to just keep from freezing because they keep it so cold here, haha)

I guess I'm officially along for the ride...I started W1D1 last night!  I couldn't get my app (finally found a free one) to work correctly though so I had to keep a fairly close eye on my watch.  I hate having to keep checking my watch, but I didn't mind the app not working because I tend to skip the 5 minute warm up walk and cool down walk.  I've just gotten used to stretching really good before and after and getting out there and running without having a warm up or cool down.  When I saw it was just 4 10 minute intervals, I really thought it was going to be pretty easy, but boy was I wrong.  I don't know if I was just having a bad running day or what, but I was struggling even on the first 10 minute run.  It was REALLY humid last night when I finally got my run in so I think that had something to do with it.  I pushed through the first run and the second run wasn't as bad, however, I only did half of the third run before I needed to talk a walking break.  I ended up walking the rest of that interval and picking back up with the fourth run and completing it.  I guess I just did my cool down walk a little early, lol   Since I run 5-6 days a week, I'll repeat that again today and hopefully be able to complete all the runs without shorting any of them.

Glad y'all started this thread and were all starting around the same time.  I'd been thinking about upping my training, but without the extra little push of knowing other people were doing the same thing I probably would have ended up just keeping on doing the same thing I was doing.  So thanks for the push to jump on into B210K!

Race Results

1 2 3 4 ... 13 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...