Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

30765 Views 192 Replies Latest reply: Aug 23, 2011 9:10 AM by mkayc Go to original post 1 2 3 4 5 ... 13 Previous Next
  • Alder2011 Legend 203 posts since
    Apr 8, 2011
    Currently Being Moderated
    30. Jun 14, 2011 7:22 AM (in response to Katie21784)
    Re: From C25k to B210k

The PALA Active Trainer 10K Program has runs and intervals, kind of a combination of B210K ad OHR.  I have decided to do both, or all 3, however you want to put it.  I have printed the B210K and the OHR, side by side, and day to day, I will decide if I want to do intervals or a continuous run.  The online PALA program has it's intervals and things, but I will just log what I do, even if it doesn't line up with what the program tells me to do.  That way, at least my mileage log will continue to lengthen.  Right now, I am at 77 miles toward my goal of 100 miles.

100_Miles.jpg

Here is my weird "multiple choice" workout plan.

OHR_vs_B210K.jpg

Each day, I choose from the left menu, or the right menu.......... I like choices.  Ha Ha.  It will also depend a lot on if I'm on a treadmill or outside.

Race Results:

2011 Fun Fourth 2.2 Mile Run : (22:08)

Beat The Heat 5K : (33:14) "The Bar Is Set"

Upcoming Tentative Plans:

No Race plans.  Just running for now.

My Running Blog:

http://joggingproud.wordpress.com/

My Virtual Life

http://www.facebook.com/Alder2000

My fundraising for MS Society:

http://main.nationalmssociety.org/goto/Alder2011

• SiberMom Pro 104 posts since
    Mar 28, 2011
    31. Jun 14, 2011 7:27 AM (in response to Alder2011)

Simon, I tend to agree that the intervals worked well with the C25K program so I think I am going to stick with the B210K program for now.  Thank you for setting the two side by side for comparison.  Our family is signing up for another 1/2 marathon in October (The Maine Marathon).  Our goal is to run the whole thing this time.  In preparing I think we are going to change some of our 5K races to 10K slots.  I still want to build slowly.  I am so thankful to make it this far with no injuries...lol

Katie, thanks for the update on your first run W1D1.  I plan to begin tonight, and I won't be discouraged if it seems tough. 

Bayley, how are your legs feeling today? 

Keep trekkin'

Denise

Cooter 5K completed May 28, 2011 in 34:05!

Lake Placid Half Marathon  June 12, 2011 in 2:48:06!

Madrid Bluegrass Ramble 5K completed  June 25, 2011 in 34:38!

Massena 5K completed July 2, 2011 in 34:48 with casualites...LOL!

Tour de Potsdam 5K completed July 14, 2011: untimed

Maine Half Marathon scheduled October 2, 2011

• TSRunner Pro 85 posts since
    Jun 6, 2011
    32. Jun 14, 2011 8:14 AM (in response to baymacae)

sorry for the dumb question, but what is "b210k"? and where can I find that program? I just started c25k and I want to keep going when I'm done.....

"The Greatest pleasure in life, is doing the things people say we cannot do." - Walter Bagehot

http://onbecomingarunner.blogspot.com/

• Katie21784 Pro 128 posts since
    Apr 5, 2011
    33. Jun 14, 2011 8:20 AM (in response to TSRunner)

It's Bridge to 10K.  It's to take the C25K graduates to a 10K distance.  Here is a link with the plan broken down:  http://www.sparkpeople.com/myspark/team_messageboard_thread.asp?board=0x46058x37057505

Follow me on Twitter: @KatieRUNning

Race Results

6/4/11 - Salvation Army Dash From Disaster 2 Mile Run - 18:55.5

6/25/11 - Tomato Festival 5K - 28:15

7/4/11 - The Great Commission 4 Miler - 37:30 (2nd place in my age group)

7/9/11 - Swinging Bridge 5K - 31:12

7/16/11 - Hit The Bricks 5K - 28:36

8/6/11 - Run For The Son 5K

Find me and follow my training on www.mapmyfitness.com by searching for katie21784@gmail.com

• TSRunner Pro 85 posts since
    Jun 6, 2011
    35. Jun 15, 2011 4:26 AM (in response to Katie21784)

Thanks Katie, for answering my question and posting a link!

"The Greatest pleasure in life, is doing the things people say we cannot do." - Walter Bagehot

http://onbecomingarunner.blogspot.com/

Apr 5, 2011
    36. Jun 15, 2011 6:51 AM (in response to baymacae)
    Re: False Start

Bayley, let me know how the paid app works and which one you bought.  I had problems with my free app working properly as well which is why I ended up just having to keep checking my watch.  I was using splits to keep up with how long I'd been running or walking, but it still meant I was constantly having to look at my watch.

I ran yesterday and let's just say it wasn't pretty at all.  The heat index was a lot higher than it has been lately and I think it just drained me because I ended up having to walk most of the time and still felt really sluggish!  Hopefully today will go better and I can actually count it as my W1D2!

Race Results

Find me and follow my training on www.mapmyfitness.com by searching for katie21784@gmail.com

Apr 8, 2011
    37. Jun 15, 2011 12:43 PM (in response to Katie21784)
    I started something today...

I'm not sure what program is any I am doing yet, but I ran today and that's what matters right?  I didn't have the time to do all of the 53 minute B210K W1D1, so I decided to just do a 30 minute run today, which is Day 1 of my Active Trainer program.  But once I started, I knew that my pace was too quick to sustain for 30 minutes, so I decided, since I am competing in a 2 mile race next week, I would just try to keep my 10 min/mile pace for an entire 2 miles.  I did, and it wasn't too bad, but I am glad I wasn't trying to go another 10 minutes........not just yet anyways.   So with my 2 minute warm up walk and my 5 minute cool down walk, I ended up doing 2.35 miles in 27 minutes.  2 miles in 20 minutes isn't bad for me I think.  Now I just gotta work on my endurance.  Maybe next time, I will slow it down to an 11 minute pace and try to do the 30 minutes.  I also decided to start the G Series Strength Training Program tomorrow.  That way, my upper body and core can get the workout my legs are getting during the runs.

Keep up the Good work team.  I might not be doing the Bridge - To - 10K, but I'm connected to that 10K somehow........maybe a rope swing......... LOL. 

Race Results:

My Running Blog:

My Virtual Life

Apr 5, 2011
    38. Jun 15, 2011 12:56 PM (in response to Alder2011)
    Re: I started something today...

I think pace is a lot of my problem.  I'm used to running around a 9:30 pace and I think I need to slow that down to more of a 10:30 or 11:00 pace to be able to run the whole time.  I have a HARD time slowing my pace down though because it's just not as comfortable for me.  I'm about to head out in the sweltering heat though, so we'll see how it goes.  As of right now I'm just not "feeling" it so it may end up being pretty rough

Race Results

• jliller3 Pro 119 posts since
    May 6, 2011
    39. Jun 15, 2011 7:08 PM (in response to baymacae)

Hey Simon, I love your little goal thingy that you posted.  Is that through active?  I think 100 is a great goal, can I borrow it?  I just did W9D2 of C25K, so I'll be over here in the 10K section next week.  See you then.  :)

Happy running,

Jeannette

"Spectacular achievements are always preceded by unspectacular preparation" ~Roger Staubach

Started C25K - April 18, 2011

Graduated C25K - June 17, 2011

Started Hal Higdon's Half Marathon Program - June 19, 2011

First 5K - July 2, 2011  Time:  34:21

2nd 5K - August 13, 2011   Time:  33:18

• SiberMom Pro 104 posts since
    Mar 28, 2011
    40. Jun 15, 2011 7:37 PM (in response to baymacae)

Bayley, don't get discouraged.  Remember that there are good runs and bad runs!  Just chalk this up as a bad day and move on.  You have been doing an amazing job with many back to back days.  Your body is probably just going through an adjustment.  Give yourself a day or two and you'll be as good as new.

Jeanette, you will see that Simon finds all the neatest toys and graphics...LOL  He keeps us laughing!!  Since the running sessions are longer with this program, I opted not to use a podcast.  I just use the heart monitor watch and time the intervals while I listen to my favorite music on my Ipod.  I find it less stressful, and I get to choose the music.  When I look at my watch and see that I have only a couple minutes of the session left, I tell myself, "I can do anything for 2 minutes."  LOL 

Simon, you got a head start on me.  I didn't start until tonight.  I groomed four of the dogs last night instead of running. 

Tonight I got out to do W1D1 of B210K.  It was warm (around 80), but the humidity was low so I waited until after dinner and laced up.  I was afraid of being sore after Sunday's 1/2 marathon, but I was surprised that I didn't notice any difference from any other run.  My first 10 minute session was all uphill, and I thought about stopping a couple of times.  Mr. Siber didn't go with me so who'd know...right?  Well, I thought of my cyber-team working hard...and that is what kept me going.  I finished all four running sessions, and felt pretty good at the end.  Not that I wanted to run any further mind you...LOL  I am attempting my first back to back run tomorrow.  Our son invited us to run with him around a golf course near his apartment.  It is FLAT so I am excited!!! 

Laura, I have 4 dogs done and 4 to go.  My boys don't run with me ... just too warm for them.  I sure would love their company though.  I guess the upside is that I'm not carrying water, bowls, and poop bags while I run. 

Marcy, how is your foot feeling?  Did you see the new doc?

Keep trekkin' cyber team!

Denise

Cooter 5K completed May 28, 2011 in 34:05!

Lake Placid Half Marathon  June 12, 2011 in 2:48:06!

Madrid Bluegrass Ramble 5K completed  June 25, 2011 in 34:38!

Massena 5K completed July 2, 2011 in 34:48 with casualites...LOL!

Tour de Potsdam 5K completed July 14, 2011: untimed

Maine Half Marathon scheduled October 2, 2011

• MichaelS75 Pro 168 posts since
    Apr 29, 2011
    41. Jun 15, 2011 8:02 PM (in response to SiberMom)

SiberMom wrote:

Well, I thought of my cyber-team working hard...and that is what kept me going.

Keep trekkin' cyber team!

Denise

This!  I can't tell you how many times this has gone through my head.  Although many of you don't realize it, you all help me when it's hot, and I'm tired, and my breathing is heavy, and I just want to take a 30 second break.  I will say to myself, "Well, so and so just finished WxDx so you can too" or something along those lines.  Bad thing is I'm stubborn enough that I would continue to run until I passed out rather than cut it short.  Which I guess has it's good points and bad points. 

C25K Graduate 6/15/11

Gibson Guitars 5k (6/11/11, first 5k, 34:58)

Comcast Firecracker 5k (7/3/11, 31:13)

Forrest Spence 5k (8/27/11, 28:15)

Chick-Fil-A 5k (9/5/11, 29:26)

Cooper Young Festival 4-Miler (9/16/11, 36:30)

Camp Good Grief 5k (10/2/11, 28:45)

LeBonheur Pumpkin Run 5k (10/8/11, 27:09)

Home Run 5k (10/23/11, 27:55)

Turkey Trot 4-Miler (11/24/11, 36:50)

St. Jude Half Marathon (12/3/11, 2:22:33)

• manybcs Expert 45 posts since
    Apr 14, 2011
    42. Jun 16, 2011 3:58 AM (in response to MichaelS75)
    ready to go at last

C25K done....with not my best run, but I kept running so I guess that's what's important.    I will start B25K on Saturday.  I don't know if it's because we've all been talking about it so much and that I knew others had started, but I found I wasn't as motivated to do this last one.  What I REALLY wanted to do was day one of the next program!  I could have skipped this one, I suppose, but I wanted to do them all.  It's been an interesting 9 weeks with a few setbacks...cold from hell (still have a bit of a cough) and broken toe, but now I'm moving on.

I went out last night and did some of C25K W1D1 with my 9 year old daughter and my 4 year old son.  The Tortoise and the Hare came to mind...and they LITERALLY ran circles around me....but eventually pooped out.  We couldn't finish due to lightening but my daughter did say that she probably shouldn't have started off by running as fast as she could.  They really want to do the 4th of July fun run with me so I think it'll be a family affair.  With that said, especially with the 4 year old coming along, we'll more than likely walk/run, but it'll be fun.

Denise..I'm impressed!  That's not an easy breed to wash!    I can't imagine living with the coat.  I'm off today to find a hydration belt so I'll be prepared with water, a bowl, paper towels, poop bags, etc. etc. for this Saturday.

Laura

Apr 8, 2011
    43. Jun 16, 2011 4:37 AM (in response to jliller3)

Jeannette wrote:

Hey Simon, I love your little goal thingy that you posted.  Is that through active?  I think 100 is a great goal, can I borrow it?

Jeannette,

Yes you can.  It's from trainer.active.com and it's in the goal section.  They have all sorts of goals you can log and things like that. And you can follow your C25K program too.  They don't have one for B210K, but I am using the Active Beginner 10K program and just treaking it a little bit.  I can still log my actual miles, even if they are different from the 10K program schedule. This site is also where I got the G Series Strength Training Program.  I start it today.  Take a look at this pics.

This is the program I am starting today.  It's going to be tough, but I need it.

GseriesPlan.jpg

These are the goals I have set through Active Trainer.

My Goals.jpg

These are the programs I am doing through Active Trainer. I am actually only doing one of the 10K programs, but I can't figure out how to get rid of the other one.  They are all free, so it doesn't really matter.... LOL..

PlanStatus.jpg

Hope this helps.  Let me know if you need any help setting it all up.

Good luck.

Simon

Race Results:

My Running Blog:

My Virtual Life

Apr 8, 2011
    44. Jun 16, 2011 4:53 AM (in response to manybcs)
    Keep up the good work!!!

Great job on finishing Laura.  On to the next one.  We look forward to you and Jeannette joining the 10K training crowd.  Michael, I am glad you are staying motivated by us.  My run yesterday was anything but motivated, and that's why I opted for the 20 minute tempo run rather than the 30 minute straight run or the 40 minutes of intervals.  And it was too busy for the 40 minutes anyways.  Today, I am motivated, because of the new strength training I am about to start.  You can see from my "fun graphic" above, that I have 13 stations to do today, and that's going to be tough, but hopefully get me going.  I'm glad to hear that you are trying consecutive days Denise, but just remember to listem to your body.  I don't think I could run today, even with a bear on my heels.  My legs are really sore from the fast paced 2 miles I did yesterday.  The legs need a day off.  Good things my strength training is all upper body and core training.  I may spin or walk for 5 to 10 minutes just to warm myself up, or maybe i will just sit in the sauna.  That should do the trick....... LOL.  Now that I am doing longer runs, I probably won't be doing many consecutive days, not to mention that my schedule is pretty full now that I am doing strength training on my running off days.   And my wife and I still have to find time to kayak, bike, and play tennis.........Ha Ha.  It's going to be a busy summer.........I love it....

Race Results:

My Running Blog:

My Virtual Life

1 2 3 4 5 ... 13 Previous Next