Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

2037 Views 6 Replies Latest reply: Sep 11, 2011 9:52 PM by Mikala_SF
Tremaine Family Rookie 7 posts since
Apr 4, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Jun 11, 2011 11:34 PM

Completed C25k ~ still not at 30/35 minutes

I've completed the C25k program, and can run for 35 minutes straight, but I can't complete a 5K in that time...I'm still at about a 14:00 minute mile, and I've almost been running a year....I've done sprint work, etc. and my 2 and 3 mile are always faster than my first mile...should I just keep going and 1) accept that this is where I'm at and worry more about building time rather than speed or 2) go out faster and see what happens or 3) ???.  I run 3 to 4 days a week, and usually go for about 1 hour.  After my solid 35 minute run, I do  interval walk/runs to get the time in.  I'm a 51 year old female who also suffers from Fibromyalgia, so that might be part of my issue as well.  Any feedback would be appreciated.  Thanks!  Denise

• BowieLinda Pro 136 posts since
    Jul 8, 2010

Hey Denise,

I was wondering whether or not you are still on Cool Running?  I keep starting and re-starting, and was reading your older posts, about trying to build a good base and doing C25K, and I found them a lot like my own experience, or at least, my own frustration.

I may just have problems because I am still running on the treadmill, and get bored easily, dunno.  I've done a 5K, but somehow that was not really an "aha" moment for me.  I love running, and love the way I feel after a run.  I just can't seem to truly get to where I'd call myself a runner.

Hope things are going well for you  and maybe you've just gotten so much in the groove of running, that you aren't posting that much!

Linda

C25K Training begun (Treadmill) 6/1/10); restarted 7/11/12

First run OUTDOORS - Club Fun Run 1.75 mile circuit time 26:06:72 on 7/29/10

Proud C25K Grad, 8/7/10

College Park Cares 5K Sponsored by Vecna Technologies, Inc. 9/25/10 44:04.4

Fell off of the regular running routine, experienced the DC Derecho Disaster, and now aiming to get back on track!

Future:

Jug Bay Run for Wildlife 5K 11/3/12

• RocketPoweredFeet Rookie 5 posts since
    Sep 7, 2011

It is hard to advise without more knowledge of your physical condition.  If you're weighing in at 260 lbs it's likely your lack of speed is weight-related.  On the other hand, if you've been running for a year and you keep a pretty consistent weight of 135 lbs you probably need to push harder on training runs.  I can tell you that when I was running in high school (when I was in shape) my times improved a lot from just getting my mileage up.  We did do track work, hill work, and fartlek, but if you're still running 14-minute miles I'd stick with the basics, which is mileage.  What's your weekly mileage looking like? 

• dwm082 Community Moderator 1,063 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007

Bear in mind that the c25k program is designed to get you to the point that you can run EITHER 5k OR for 30 minutes. It's absolutely not designed to get you to run 5k in 30 minutes. It's just fine that you can't cover the full 5k in 30-35 minutes.

As you build a greater mileage base, you'll find that you get faster at shorter distances. After a while, you'll find that you can handily cover the 5k in 30 minutes -- maybe faster. Speed will come after endurance, so be patient!

Good luck with your continued running.

Don

2012 Race Schedule

Providence Marathon (4:48:55)

Buffalo Half-Marathon (2:03:16)

Chicago Marathon (October 7)

• Travisruns Rookie 2 posts since
    Jul 7, 2011
    4. Sep 9, 2011 3:58 PM (in response to Tremaine Family)

Do not worry about speed at this point. Keep adding 5-10% to your weekly mileage while taking fewer walking intervals. After you get to 30 or so miles a week the speed will be easier to get for your 5k.

• Ian_Moone Amateur 23 posts since
    Apr 5, 2011
    5. Sep 10, 2011 4:09 PM (in response to Tremaine Family)

I wouldn't worry about speed until you can do the distance. there is a saying that I totally believe in " Get Good at what you are doing before you get fast" . I think that the most important thing is to just get out and doit but also Enjoy it. when I am out running ( actually still walk running ) I don't listen to anything but my suroundings it is pretty amazing at what is in a part all the smells and birds singing fish jumping in the lake frogs all sorts of things going on and before I know it my walk run is done.

Years ago I used to run abbout 6-7k every other day and the days off I would run between 2 -4 k I was always worried about my time always . now I just enjoy it make it so it isn't a Job.

• Mikala_SF Pro 87 posts since
    Apr 14, 2008
    6. Sep 11, 2011 9:52 PM (in response to Tremaine Family)

You've been at this for a year I sort of like going out there faster and seeing what happens.  Have you been running at this pace because it's what you've always done or because you've tried to go faster but couldn't?  I'm curious to know what would happen if you pushed yourself.  That said, choice #1 is probably the best advice.

My weight loss blog, pictures, etc (started in 2007):

http://diaryofanaspiringloser.blogspot.com

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...