Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

2612 Views 4 Replies Latest reply: Jun 14, 2011 7:51 PM by EmState04
FLkayakgrl Pro 60 posts since
Feb 18, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Jun 12, 2011 1:17 PM

Best iPhone apps for beginning runner?

I recently completed C25K and an starting to work on increasing speed and distance slowly.

I just switched from Blackberry to iPhone, and would like to know what everyone considers the best apps for running.

Thanks!

Age 52

Started C25K Feb 2011

Graduated C25K (time) April 2011

Run for the Arts 5k - 5/7/2011 Lake Worth FL, 44:08 pace 14:14....not last!

Stress fracture

Holiday Fantasy of Lights 5k- Coconut Creek FL 11/12/2011

PB United Way Turkey Trot 5k 11/24/2011 - 42.48 pace 13.48 - 19 of 30 in age group

• Trollybus Rookie 3 posts since
    Jun 12, 2011
    1. Jun 12, 2011 2:15 PM (in response to FLkayakgrl)
    Re: Best iPhone apps for beginning runner?

HI

Runkeeper is just brilliant. You can set your own workouts. It logs everything, you can set your own promtps. Gives you a complete breakdown of your run inc  map, elevation/ pace/ speed graph.  You can set playlists to certain workouts. It even emails you to let you know when you break your own records etc....just excellent.

Dawn

• Trollybus Rookie 3 posts since
    Jun 12, 2011
    3. Jun 13, 2011 3:54 AM (in response to FLkayakgrl)

I think it will do everything you want and more   It can even post your runs to Facebook!  And let you see your friends runs too.  I have tried a few but for me it's the best without a doubt.  I did the C25K last year then gave up when the hot weather hit (i like the rain and mud of the trails!) so I am now back on the program! Week 4 so I have a C25K app and Runkeeper runs alongside it....it's excellent.  ALso - it can log walks and bike rides etc - anything really.  You can even take pics along the route and add them to your log

• EmState04 Rookie 1 posts since
    Jul 27, 2010
    4. Jun 14, 2011 7:51 PM (in response to FLkayakgrl)

I also love RunKeeper. I have an Android phone and I find I need to let the GPS "warm up" for 5-10 minutes before I head out, otherwise my tracking is off. It runs in the background without disturbing anything else and I love that I can save my runs and pick them up on the website to compare. I also LOVE getting emails with stats about personal bests- extremely motivating!

I use Easy Phone Tunes as well to sync my iTunes playlists to my phone. I'm not as big a fan of this app because it doesn't have much features at all. Perhaps someone out there has another recommendation??

From the couch to 13.1 miles in one year...

http://justhalfcrazy.blogspot.com

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points