Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

62210 Views 481 Replies Latest reply: Oct 12, 2011 12:37 AM by SingingPilgrim RSS Go to original post 1 ... 24 25 26 27 28 ... 33 Previous Next
  • khouppert Amateur 11 posts since
    Jun 18, 2011
    Currently Being Moderated
    375. Jul 19, 2011 11:31 AM (in response to 422lrw)
    Re: Starting Couch to 5K week of June 20th!

Finished week 4 yesterday and i couldnt believe it, i actually ran the furthest and i thought i was sticking to the same pace. I never really struggled until the last 2-3mins of the 5 min run was left. The one thing i couldn't believe was the amount of pain i was in around my knee. It felt like sereve sharp pains in and around the outside of my knee and it was really uncomfatble to sit or even lay down. I finally couldn't stand the pain and took some advil and put ice-hot on it. And now today it feels fine. This is something i never struggled with. I've played soccer and softball just a year ago and it never bothered my then. Anyone have any other suggetions so I can continue on to week 5 tomorrow pain free.

• Padvali Amateur 32 posts since
    Jul 1, 2011
    376. Jul 19, 2011 11:43 AM (in response to SingingPilgrim)

khouppert, I am sorry, I have no ideas other than ice.  I am sure others will have some great ideas and hopefully you can have your run tomorrow pain free!

I skipped my run today, woke up not feeling 100% and with being under extreme heat warning, and really high humidity, I just went back to bed.  Woke up totally regretting it.  I did do some walking video indoors to ease part of my guilt.  Funny how, prior to C25k, I didn't really get any form of exercise other than the occasional walk, now 6 weeks later, I feel horrible if I take a day off...

• Maria Does Life in VA Expert 52 posts since
    Jun 2, 2011
    377. Jul 19, 2011 12:12 PM (in response to khouppert)

I'm actually going to an ortho doc on Friday about my knee.

I noticed my stride is impacted b/c of the pain - that pain you mentioned is a bit similar and I am finding when I walk sometimes my knee buckles.  So I'm going to make sure I didn't ruin anything.

Ran again this morning - doing the r/w intervals - 4 min run, 2 walk to 155 bpm music - I completed 4.87 miles with a pace of 15:13.  Was happy with that b/c I didn't think I could even come close to t5hat considering how my knee is acting.  Not where I was about 2 weeks ago pace-wise but my knee wasn't hurt then.

Lost 2 lbs too which is good - I need to adjust my diet though - I don't think I'm really adjusting for my activity level well and I need to stop munching on the candy when I'm at work.  Kind of defeats the purposes.  All in all though it was a good run.  Another short run on Thursday, and then one more 5K on Saturday.

Also signed up for Boot Camp on the beach 2 days a week (Groupon was 80% off the cost) - so that will be my cross training days for a few weeks.

http://mariadoeslife.tumblr.com

Finished C25k: 7/28/2011

Races run:

CHKD Charity Run - 7/9 - 5K - 36:20 personal best on a mile 10:24

Allen Stone Braveheart Memorial 5K- 7/16 - 5K - 35:38 personal best on 5K

Operation Homefront 5K - 7/23 - walked - 51:55

Military Challenge (3.5 miles/obstacles) - 7/30 - ran/jumped over hurdles haha/walked - 64:55

RocknRoll 1/2 marathon - 9/4 VA Beach - 3:48:58

Freedom Run 9/11/2011 Chesapeake 49:11

Races entered:

Beach Ford 5K - VA Beach - 10/8/2011

Komen 5K - Chesapeake VA - 10/15/2011

Run Like a Girl 10K - 10/23/2011

Blue Moon Wicked 10K VA Beach - 10/29/2011

Outer Banks 8K (Kitty Hawk HS) - 11/12/2011

Freedom Half Marathon - 11/13/2011

Surfing Santa 10 miler VA Beach - 12/3/2011 - debating

Walt Disney World Marathon - 1/7/2012 - (run thru Epcot and Magic Kingdom)

• Padvali Amateur 32 posts since
    Jul 1, 2011
    378. Jul 19, 2011 8:46 PM (in response to SingingPilgrim)

we have been dealing with really hot, 115*+ temps this week, and I originally chickened out on my run this morning and felt guilty all day... Decided to give it a go tonight since the sun was down and there seemed to be a breeze.  Should of started week 7 with a 25 minute run, but I opted for the shorter 20 minute run in week 6 or 5. 

Of course, the minute I start to run the wind dies down, but I managed to do it.  I have never had any problems with my breathing but I found it difficult tonight.  I wonder if it is because of the humidity being at 85%...  I also ran 1.6 miles in the 20 minutes, as opposed to my 1.4 miles on my last 20 minute run.  I was rather proud of that. 

Got home, checked the weather, our temp is 99 and I am starting to get a headache.  Probably should of done less

• Carolhnc2 Amateur 11 posts since
    Jun 20, 2011
    379. Jul 20, 2011 1:20 PM (in response to SingingPilgrim)

Finished w5d3 yesterday- the 20 minute run that I couldn't imagine actually doing.  I had butterflies before going out, as if it were some kind of public performance that I knew I would screw up.  Got a grip, went out and did it, although it wasn't pretty.  But that doesn't matter- completing it and living to tell the tale does.  Which brings me to the heat wave coming our way here in DC; I know many of you have already been dealing with 100+ temps with high humidity.  Has anyone researched safely running in these conditions?  I don't use a treadmill, so air conditioned comfort is not an option.  I plan to go out early to avoid the worst of it and focus on hydration, but I'm wondering if there is some kind of heat/humidity threshhold beyond which I just shouldn't consider going out...

• jmcd630 Amateur 18 posts since
    Jun 19, 2011
    380. Jul 20, 2011 7:02 PM (in response to SingingPilgrim)

No dreadmill for this girl!!  Did W6D2 outside - 94 degrees at 8:45pm.  I actually felt GREAT!  I am so surprised I have made it this far in 6 weeks.  For the first time I am looking forward to the 25 min run on Friday!  Keep it up everyone!  I am actually contemplating a 1/2 marathon run/walk on September 24 --- we shall see. 

• Phillip Senter Pro 48 posts since
    May 3, 2011
    381. Jul 20, 2011 7:40 PM (in response to SingingPilgrim)
    Re: W5D2 Completed

The 8 minute sets weren't too bad.  Of course I'm not burning up the road, but it was more of a jog than a shuffle, so I guess I am improving.  Can't wait for the 20 minute run Friday.  I think I'm going to make the warm up walk 10 minutes so I'm good and loose and then try to set a good pace.  I measured off 5K today on a straight road and man, it's longgggggggggg.  It's amazing to me that there are a lot of people who can run this under 20 minutes.  I know I'll never get that fast but I would like to get around 25 minutes eventually.  I think this would give me a chance of placing in the top 5 in my age group in a lot of races.  Of course, I've got to enter a race first.

http://community.active.com/people/triggerracing/blog/2011/06/21/w1d1

• Phillip Senter Pro 48 posts since
    May 3, 2011
    382. Jul 20, 2011 7:42 PM (in response to jmcd630)

jmcd630 - When the goin gets tough, the tough get goin........

http://community.active.com/people/triggerracing/blog/2011/06/21/w1d1

• Maria Does Life in VA Expert 52 posts since
    Jun 2, 2011
    383. Jul 21, 2011 5:43 AM (in response to SingingPilgrim)

Ugh - I hate the heat for running - at 5:45 am the humidity was outrageous.

But I chugged along - going to see the doc on Friday to get this knee looked at

Starting the "bridge to 10K" program to get my endurance built up further - the first run is 10 run, 1 walk for 4 repetitions.  So I'm going to do one more week of my 30 minute intervals (now up to 35 minutes) before I tackle that.

http://mariadoeslife.tumblr.com

Finished C25k: 7/28/2011

Races run:

CHKD Charity Run - 7/9 - 5K - 36:20 personal best on a mile 10:24

Allen Stone Braveheart Memorial 5K- 7/16 - 5K - 35:38 personal best on 5K

Operation Homefront 5K - 7/23 - walked - 51:55

Military Challenge (3.5 miles/obstacles) - 7/30 - ran/jumped over hurdles haha/walked - 64:55

RocknRoll 1/2 marathon - 9/4 VA Beach - 3:48:58

Freedom Run 9/11/2011 Chesapeake 49:11

Races entered:

Beach Ford 5K - VA Beach - 10/8/2011

Komen 5K - Chesapeake VA - 10/15/2011

Run Like a Girl 10K - 10/23/2011

Blue Moon Wicked 10K VA Beach - 10/29/2011

Outer Banks 8K (Kitty Hawk HS) - 11/12/2011

Freedom Half Marathon - 11/13/2011

Surfing Santa 10 miler VA Beach - 12/3/2011 - debating

Walt Disney World Marathon - 1/7/2012 - (run thru Epcot and Magic Kingdom)

• RIFelicia Rookie 7 posts since
    Jun 21, 2011
    384. Jul 21, 2011 7:02 AM (in response to SingingPilgrim)

Did W4D1 this morning before meeting w/my trainer. I can't decide if it was a success or a failure, so my coworker suggested I post for feedback. I was moving along fine w/the podcast until the last 5 min run. I started walking w/1min, 10 seconds left of the run. Part of me feels that because of this, I failed. Another part of me is amazed that not only did I run for 5 straight minutes the first go round, but I did the 3 minute runs before and after that 5 min run, and then I ran 3m50sec. I can't decide. What do y'all think?

I jumped right into training w/Jen after C25K was complete. I'm trying things differently because my original plan was to run W4D1 on Tuesdsay, but then Jen thrashed me w/a leg workout. I'm hoping if I can get up early enough and run before meeting up w/her on Tues/Thurs, then training and C25K won't conflict.

Very excited because I've worked out, run, walked, ellipticalled (I know, it's probably not a verb and I'm making up my own words), etc for 8 days straight. I'm noticing that if I do something everyday then it's easier to do something the following day. Unfortunately, if I don't do something it then becomes easier not to do anything the next day as well.

Going camping this weekend and babysitting a 5 yr old little boy. I have my podcasts saved on the ipod so I'm hoping I can run while I'm there. If not, I'm going to introduce Braden to the joys of walking.

It's going to be hot though so I might get lucky and have my daughter watch him after he falls asleep, which will allow me to run in cooler temps. I just have to be careful not to trip and fall; other than that, I think this could work

• Guayquilwriter Legend 511 posts since
    Mar 18, 2011
    385. Jul 21, 2011 8:52 AM (in response to RIFelicia)

RIFelicia

I really hate the term "failed" here. You didn't fail. You completed the workout, although you were not able to finish all of it running.

The goal in the C25K is to be able to complete the runs comfortably, especially the D3 workouts. You can be proud you did the whole distance. However since you were not able to complete the whole workout by finishing the last interval, it probably would be better if you repeat the workout so you can complete all intervals before moving on to the next week.

I point out the "Failed" term because it is really irritating to me and a source of a lot of negative self talk to a lot of people. As a runner you have some so-so runs, some bad runs and some fantastic runs. Fantastic runs are not victories. They are simply experiences to cherish. Bad runs are not failures. Things happen and we have a bad run - wind, rain, heat, stress, not enough sleep or the first stages of a cold or just a day that for whatever reason is you don't have it. Maybe it is because we are trying something as an experiment and our fitness is not quite there yet. These days are not failures.

Focusing on "victories" can be good in motivating you to get out the door, but be careful labeling things as "failures." What happens if you have a couple of bad runs in a row - does that mean you are a failure? No. Are you failing? HELL NO! The only way you fail is if you stop running. So if you have a bad run how can it be a failure? A lot of poeple struggle a couple of runs, decide they are "failing" and go away from our sport. I think that is incredibly sad.

You may not be taking it this way. If so, fine. But be careful how negative self-talk can creep up on us and undermine all the wonderful things we are accomplishing!

OVER 50 PRs

5K - 31:50 5K La Joya 2011 - Aug 2011

10K - 1:14:30 at Guayaquil Half Marathon - Jul 2011

Half - 2:32:22 at Guayaquil Marathon - Oct 2011

2012 Races

InterAmerican Family Fun Run (5k) 36:04 (Previous Year 39:22)

Emelec 5K 33:16

Upcoming Races

15 June - 5K Ciudad Celeste

22 June 5K por los Ninos

1 July - Guayaquil Half Marathon

5 August - 5K La Joya

2 September - 30K Milagro

7 October - Guayaquil Marathon

18 November - 5K Villa Club

2 December - 5K DM3

• 422lrw Amateur 14 posts since
    Jun 27, 2011
    387. Jul 21, 2011 10:47 AM (in response to SingingPilgrim)

Singing Pilgrim:  I am keeping you and your situation in my prayers.  I will pray for good results from your recent procedure

and medicine.  Praying too that you will sense a peace of mind and comfort from everyone that is supportive of you.

Lisa

Jun 27, 2011
    388. Jul 21, 2011 10:55 AM (in response to SingingPilgrim)

RIFelicia:  I agree with everything Richard said.  I just wanted to add that I have found it helpful

to do my C25K runs alternately of the days I strength train.  Weekends are good cross training

days for me to do Yoga, Cycling, or Swimming.

I found it too intense for my muscle recovery to do weights before or after running.

Just a thought.

You are doing so good.  You should be so proud of how far you

have come.

Keep on Running!

Lisa 

Jun 27, 2011
    389. Jul 21, 2011 11:12 AM (in response to SingingPilgrim)

OK, this morning at 9am I Finished W5D3!!!

So happy to get that 20 min run under my belt!!!

Yes, I used the DREADMILL....but I knew I was not going

to make it in 105 degree heat.  My legs were sore for awhile afterward

and my face was SO beet red!  Iced my legs right away.  Really glad I did.

Breathing rhythm was fine. I just have a hard time geting used to the runners high.

Once that wears off and I get all calm and laidback, the run feels good.

Keep On Running

Lisa

1 ... 24 25 26 27 28 ... 33 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...