Skip navigation

NEED HELP?|

956 Views 1 Reply Latest reply: Jun 13, 2011 10:59 AM by jalamander
jalamander Amateur 10 posts since
May 30, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Jun 13, 2011 7:32 AM

Was it interference? CWS (Ariz. St. vs Texas)

Was at the local diner last night. I could barely see the screen. Couldn't hear a thing, but was sorta kinda watching the CWS semi-final. It was Arizone State vs Texas. Arizona was up by 1 run. I beliee the score was 2-1.

Top of 4th, Unknown nbr of outs, R1, 3-2 pitch. R1 is stealing. the pitch is high for ball 4. However, the catcher makes a throw to 2nd on the stealing runner. As the runner slides into 2nd the thrown ball hits the runner's right hand and is deflected into center field. R1 then runs to 3rd, arriving safely. So now you have R1 on 3rd and batter-runner on 1st.

A coach complains and the next thing I see is a huddle of four umpires. The huddle last a lot longer than I ever thought a huddle should last.

Eventually, they put R1 back on 2nd and batter-runner stays at 1st.

Closed Caption was on so I could see the announcer indicating, I think, the call was interference on R1, but because of the walk (he was entitled to 2nd) the umpires did not call an out, but simply sent him back to 2nd. And...if it had been a "true" steal situation, R1 would have been out on interference. And then, I see them discussing possible batter interference, and applyiong the same logic. Well, that's announcer talk. I don't know of anyone who would believe that but the two talking heads in the booth.

Soon after that, we left the diner. So, I have no clue as to what really happend.Can anyone fill me? What kind of call did the umpires make? Did they call inteference on R1? Why did he have to go back to 2nd base?

Jalamander

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points