Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

499 Views 0 Replies Latest reply: Jun 13, 2011 9:27 PM by zerolikeice RSS
zerolikeice Amateur 9 posts since
Jun 6, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Jun 13, 2011 9:27 PM

Running at Altitude

Hi all,

I just started a C25K program last week (I'm into week 2 now) and was wondering if any of you others out there are running at altitude, and how you feel your experience may differ from other beginning runners'. I read somewhere that you're supposed to set a pace where you could comfortably carry on a conversation with someone, but this would be nearly impossible for me-- even at a slower pace I still suck wind. I'm at roughly 6,500 feet. I don't typically have problems with muscle soreness/stiffness/burning when I exercise. My biggest issue is breathing. I've lived at elevation for nearly 25 years, so I'm accustomed to the air being thinner and all the accoutrements (greater radiation, easier dehydration, etc.) but this is the first time I've really given running a go, and was just wondering if it's normal while running at altitude to fight with breathing.

Who else out there is running up high?

~Zero

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...