Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1804 Views 8 Replies Latest reply: Jul 5, 2011 10:35 AM by JasonCR
PerformanceCoachingLLC Amateur 39 posts since
Feb 7, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Jun 15, 2011 1:50 PM

Running with Allergies

For those of you that suffer with allergies. How do you survive during your runs?

I have a couple of clients that are really suffering and have a full marathon coming up.

Have you found a certain time of day is better?  Are there any natural remedies out there?

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,400 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    1. Jun 15, 2011 1:49 PM (in response to PerformanceCoachingLLC)
    Re: Running with Allergies

I have gotten mine under control with Flonase and Zyrtec.  It doesn't have to be those particular brands, but the nasal spray has made a huge difference for me.  My allergies probably aren't as bad as some, but I would end up severly congested for weeks using just an antihistamine.  And I would usually get a sinus infection because of it.  The nasal spray has made all the difference.

Len

Len

• ThinBound (Jaime) Pro 113 posts since
    May 31, 2011
    2. Jun 15, 2011 1:54 PM (in response to PerformanceCoachingLLC)

Zertec works best for me but it takes an hour to kick in and doesn't last near as long as it should. I'm considering allergy shots because they get so bad..worse is sinus pressure though. Really hard to have nice breathing with you can't breath through your nose.

• NRDgirl Pro 194 posts since
    Nov 30, 2007
    4. Jun 16, 2011 3:49 PM (in response to PerformanceCoachingLLC)

I have allergies and asthma which makes running in the Spring almost unbearable. What has helps me cope is using Allegra, a nasal spray and my inhaler. I found that running in the morning or evening is best for me and I had to stop running my favorite park for a while because grass seems to be what I'm most allergic to. Running with allergies is tough, especially if you're in a place with a lot of trees and greenspace. I saw a woman at one of my races that had on a sophisticated looking surgical mask. She said she has severe allergies and it's the only way she can run outside during the spring. You can get them from achooallergy.com. I considered getting one and may make the investment next year.

PR's

Atlanta's Finest 5k: August 3, 2013 (26:06; 5K PR)

Big Peach Sizzler 10k (51:04; 10K PR)

13.1 Atlanta (My 1st half!): October 2, 2011 (1:46:44)

Atlanta Marathon Relay (4th leg, 7.2 miles): October 30, 2011 (Team time: 3:44)

Chicago Marathon (my 1st full!): Oct 7, 2012: 4:19:19

2013 Highlights/Upcoming:

Bermuda Triangle Challenge: Jan 18-20, 2013

Marine Corps Marathon: Oct 27, 2013

Anthem Richmond Marathon: November 16, 2013

• madams1975 Amateur 8 posts since
    Jul 13, 2010
    5. Jun 17, 2011 8:30 AM (in response to PerformanceCoachingLLC)

I agree with the nasal spray and Zyrtec. I would also add using a Neti Pot after runs. I use the neti after outdoor runs to clean out the gunk, and if I am really congested to start then it helps before runs as well.

• redrunner32 Pro 151 posts since
    Sep 29, 2010
    6. Jun 21, 2011 9:44 AM (in response to PerformanceCoachingLLC)

I have allergies and asthma.  The person you are trying to help should really get with their allergist to get their allergies under control with whatever meds work for that person - everyone is different as far as which sprays/antihistamines, etc works.  I take Claritin through the allergy seaons and I am also on shots.  I carry an inhaler with me and when I am having trouble breathing on particular days, I use my inhaler 20 minutes before going running (this was suggested by my allergist and works). 

The shots are a natural remedy, because they build up your immunity to the things you are allergic to over a period of years.

Also, the NeilMed sinus rinse is awesome.  You can use it twice a day, but especially after coming in from running and breathing in the bad stuff.  It rinses all the allergens out. 

• Angela25127 Rookie 4 posts since
    Apr 16, 2009
    7. Jun 28, 2011 9:20 PM (in response to PerformanceCoachingLLC)

They could try homemade honey, but it has to be made locally, due to that what allergens they have a problem with. I myself take an allergy shot twice a week, and it takes care of my allergies.

• JasonCR Pro 70 posts since
    Aug 30, 2008
    8. Jul 5, 2011 10:35 AM (in response to PerformanceCoachingLLC)

Zyrtec generic, avoid all stimulants like caffeine and chemicals like diet sodas, might try avoiding nuts.

Just Do It!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...