Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1159 Views 4 Replies Latest reply: Jun 16, 2011 6:44 PM by lenzlaw RSS
keepinupwithkids Rookie 2 posts since
Jun 15, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Jun 15, 2011 2:11 PM

How do I increase my stride length?

I just started training with a group and our goal is to run a whole 5k on August 6. We are now doing 4 min easy pace jogging/45 seconds walking, alternating for total distance of about 3.3 miles.

It seems I take sooooo many steps compared to the rest of the group- how do I increase my stride length?

thanks for any ideas-

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,332 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    1. Jun 15, 2011 5:16 PM (in response to keepinupwithkids)
    Re: How do I increase my stride length?

First, don't worry about increasing your stride length.  You're too early in your running "career" to worry about it.  Second, count your strides per minute (both feet).  Something around 180 is considered ideal.  Maybe everyone else needs to shorten their stride!  At any rate, run at your own pace, with your own stride rate and length.  Do what works for you.  Avoid overstriding - reaching out in front of you with your foot.  Plant your foot under your hips.  If that means a short stride, so be it.

Len

Len

• squilky Pro 91 posts since
    Jul 18, 2007
    2. Jun 16, 2011 6:06 AM (in response to lenzlaw)

I have short legs, and often wonder how much faster I could finish if I had longer legs. When I watch most of these mid to long distance runners at track events, they all seem to be blessed with long legs. Their strides look so smooth and effortless. However, I think the advice above is good advice. I think over striding can result in hyperextension of your knee, twisting an ankle etc. Better off playing it safe so you don't have to stop running due to an injury.

Couch to 5k completed: 7/15/2011

USPTO 5K 10/16/2011; 29:14 110/238

Bull Run Festival of Lights 5K 12/31/2011; 31:30 324/683

Primal Mud Run 4/14/2012; 1:29:29

Cody's Crew 5k 9/16/2012 31:15

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,332 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    4. Jun 16, 2011 6:44 PM (in response to squilky)

Leg length does not necessarily have much to do with stride length or speed, because you never have both feet on the ground at the same time, like you would with walking.  More important is how much force you generate as you push off with your back foot at the end of each stride, which helps determine how far you go before your front foot plants.

Len

Len

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points