Skip navigation

4329 Views 18 Replies Latest reply: Jun 23, 2011 3:12 PM by baller98 RSS 1 2 Previous Next
baller98 Pro 116 posts since
Apr 6, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Jun 17, 2011 9:55 AM

JUMP MANUAL??

hey everyone,

i just wanted 2 kno if any of u hav tried the Jump Manual...?? If u hav, plz let me kno if i worked or not....

thnx

~if u wanna be a somebody in basketball, u gotta work hard~

• apwarrior99 Amateur 13 posts since
    Jan 9, 2011
    1. Jun 17, 2011 3:50 PM (in response to baller98)
    Re: JUMP MANUAL??

Yes it does work. I have a friend who was on it and his hops increased, but it didnt come fast or easy. Everyone has different body types. However, you dont really need a vertical jump program to improve your hops but if u feel it will give u an advantage, then go for it. I'm not saying it doesnt work. I improved my hops by weight lifting and focusing on proper technique. However, just make sure you balance with your skill, conditioning and strength workouts bcuz u dont wanna be feeling out of shape and u dont want your fundamentals 2 have flaws in them. Just be careful what u focus your time on.

Jan 9, 2011
    3. Jun 17, 2011 5:38 PM (in response to baller98)

Deadlifts and Squats help alot bcuz they work your lower body n legs. They also get really sore especially with deadlifts, but I put ALOT of emphasis on my core muscles. If you dont have access to a weight room, then u can still get in a great workout. First, I warmup and shoot around at game speed for about 5 minutes, then I do dynamic stretching exercises bcuz these warm up your muscles WAY better than old school static stretching exercises. I train for 6 days a week or 5 days sometimes. I warm up and stretch every time before I train. I usually mix up my routine, but for my core, I usually do planks on a stability ball, side planks on ball, pull ups, stomach suck ins and hold for minute ( works your transverse abdominis ). However, you want to make sure your conditioning on tack. Jumping requires that you be in game shape. Above all, you want to be sure your jumping technique is on track. Jumping is a skill that requires practice and practice. You cant just exercise and hope for the best. You need to learn how to jump properly and make sure you land safely to prevent knee injuries. Squats, bench press, Deadlifts, Core exercises are excellent. Also, having ankle strength helps. When I work my ankles, I stand on 1 foot for 1 minute with eyes open on each leg. Then I stand on the balls of my feet for 1 minute as well. Then I do the same thing with my eyes closed. This develops balance so that you can be able to control your body when you jump. In your off season workouts, put some emphasis on injury prevention. THe last thing you want is to obtain a painful knee like I did. And dont train too much either. 6 days a week at most is fine. Dont workout if your sick, feeling pain in your joints, or if you didnt get enough sleep the day before becuz that will put you body in an overtrained state and overtraining is the same thing as not exercising at all! Above all, keep your focus on the fundamentals of the game, watch games on TV and improve you basketball knowledge and intelligence. There is no right or wrong way to train. Everyone trains differently. When you go to the gym, make sure you work instead of chit chatting all day and not improving. Basketball is a complicated game to learn and just about every1 has a weakness. The only way to get better is to keep on working, get enough rest, and never stop learning the game. SLEEP IS THE KEY FOR TRAINING SUCCESS. The more you train, the more you gotta eat, and the more you gotta sleep

• cntmeasureheart Pro 103 posts since
    Jun 11, 2011
    5. Jun 17, 2011 8:49 PM (in response to baller98)

Do squats and deadlifts 3-4 sets. of between 4-6 reps. and use dumbells if u can on the squats. it simulates an acual jump a lil better. if u dnt have weights do jump squats.

Jan 9, 2011
    7. Jun 17, 2011 10:56 PM (in response to baller98)

O yea, if u dont have access to a weight room, then you still work your legs and core. The stability ball is excellent becuz it forces your body to balance especially your core which helps keep a center of gravity so that you can move around better and have quicker feet too. An exercise that fires up my quads is wall sits. Jus lean against a wall until your legs come to a 90 degree angle and try holding that position for as long as you can and just work your way up until you can hold it for about 3 minutes or more. It really helps your defensive stance and your legs wont tire. For your hamstrings and glutes, try the bridge exercise. You just lay on your back and raise you legs off the ground and contract your hamstrings and legs. I dont know how to explain it so be sure to look it up. Strengthening your hip flexors and the muscles at the side of your legs helps too. I transferred schools this past year and I had my own personal weight set at room so I wouldn't have to go 2 da gym and pay a membership. I also dont like going to the gym becuz evry time I go, evry1 jus stares at me like "oh ****, the next Mj"...Evry1 stares where I'm from lol...One day, my uncle hauled off my weight set to the junk yard company in exchange for money and boy was I mad becuz I couldnt do squats or deadlifts and I had no weights whatsoever! So I put a huge emphasis on my core and did bodyweight exercises to  make up for it..Try riding horses if you can becuz horseriding fatigues your legs and helps with balance. For agillity, you can jump rope, hop skotch, and many more drills. By the way, try to get the book called "STUFF! good players should know"..It's a book written by dick devenzio which covers the fine points of basketball. It gives valuable tips and it will put you ahead of the pack and improve your basketball IQ..Above all, eat a healthy diet and don't be afraid or feel guilty about eating sweets or junk food. You can enjoy an ice cream cone or a piece of cake, or a piece of a candy bar everyday; you just can't eat too much of it becuz it will make you feel sluggish when game time comes..i kno it seems like I'm giving too much tips, but rest and recovery is what will give you results. Buy a foam roller and use it after your workouts. When you feel sore, take ice baths becuz it gets rid of the waste products in your body and will let your muscles recover faster. Make sure you balance out your strength training and your skill/conditiong workouts. I train 6 days a week and one day I will work my muscles with weights, do defense slides, then do my balance exercisess,then work my core. On my skill/conditioning days, I will start off with ball handling drills, shooting, and any other skill of mine that needs work, then agility, and then finish off wit jumprope. Make sure you cool down after every workout. Its simple, just jog for about 5 min or so. It also removes waste products from your body.

• rennabenna Rookie 2 posts since
    Jun 18, 2011
    8. Jun 18, 2011 5:47 AM (in response to apwarrior99)

Does the shake weight work guys????

Jan 9, 2011
    10. Jun 18, 2011 3:16 PM (in response to rennabenna)

Shake weight does work your arms, but I don't recommend it. It's better to do compound exercises which work multiple muscle groups at a time. For example, bench presses work all your arms including your pecs and little complicated muscles which names I don't know. Forget about exercises that isolated one muscle group at a time; they don't have any real world functions to it. In basketball, when your running on a fast break or when your going up for a jump shot, you use not only your arms, but you also use your legs, core, and other muscles. Focus on working multiple muscle groups bcuz if you just do isolation exercises that focus on one muscle at a time (leg extensions, dumbbell curls, seated calf raises, etc.), then you increase your chances of creating muscular imbalances in your body which can lead to things like back pain, jumpers knee and so on. Don't buy shake weights. Be proactive and look up some compound exercises. Buy books on training and so forth.

• cntmeasureheart Pro 103 posts since
    Jun 11, 2011
    11. Jun 18, 2011 3:44 PM (in response to baller98)

my leg workout for the nxt 2 weeks is like this.

power clean 4 sets of 8 reps.

squats 4 sets of 8 reps.

leg curls 4 sets of 8 reps.

step ups 3 sets of 8 reps.

hyperextensions 3 sets of 15 reps.

side lunges 2 sets of 10 reps.

standing calf raises 4 sets of 8 reps.

then i stretch out my legs.

then do plyometrics:

forward barrier jump. 2 sets of 8 reps.

lateral barrier jumps 2 sets of 8 reps.

diagonal barrier jumps 2 sets of 8 reps.

depth jumps 2 sets of 10 reps.

box jumps 2 sets of 10 reps.

then the same barrier jumps only wit 1 leg at a time.

then stretch again. and hope i can still walk afterwards.

Note: do your actual basketball workout before hand. and work on all ur basics.

Jan 9, 2011
    12. Jun 18, 2011 3:52 PM (in response to baller98)

@baller98- To get stronger, I put ALOT of emphasis on my core muscles. I do planks on a stability ball and hold it for about 80 sec. I started up with 30 sec. to a minute and worked my way up. I try to mix up my exercises bcuz it's important to challenge your body. if you do the same thing over and over, your body will eventually adapt to the exercise and it will be harder to improve. I also hold out a barbell weight in front of me and move it in all planes of direction so that way my whole core will be engaged. I also lay down on my back, hold a dumbell over my head and try to get up using only my legs. It's tough, but it teaches your core to work with your legs and the rest of your body. Pullups also help alot and you will see increases in your vertical because it also works your core and your arms. To get stronger, you have to overload your body and keep challenging and pushing it. For example, when you do pullups, if you can only do 3, then start there and work your way up. With my legs, I do wall sits till my legs burn and I do bridges to help my hamstrings. I just got back home over here 2 weeks ago and I'm barely starting to weight train again bcuz when I switched skools, my uncle took all my weights to this stupid junk yard place. Trust me, it sucked. When I didnt have my weights with me, I worked my core harder, did pushups on these pushup bars I got for my birthday, wallsits and so forth. A great exercise that I use for my upper body is the pushup off a basketball. You start by getting in a pushup position. Get a basketball and put on hand on top of it making sure that the ball lines up even under your shoulder and do regular pushups. It works your upper body including those little muscles in your shoulders that get fatigued during a game. It really helps with free throw shooting when you're tired. Do one-legged squats, these really help your legs and it forces your core to stabilize your body as well. Just make sure to use proper technique, especially if you have bad knees. One legged squats with or without weights helps to reduce injuries as well. Make sure you do static stretching after EVERY workout you do. Your muscles are like a rubberband and stretching after your workouts will improve your flexibility, reduce injury, and will get rid of waste products in your muscles. You see, we live in a world full of hype and superstardom and if you got a 40 inch vertical jump or if your over 7 feet tall, then you're considered the next big thing. There are all these guys that can jump out of the gym and dunk the ball even as a freshmen or sophmore in highschool. There's this one guy I played against this past year and he had sum serious hops and loved to show it off by dunking or blocking shots. However, I faked him out many times with a shot fakes and he was was in serious foul trouble bcuz he had 3 fouls in the 1st quarter! He was also cocky and their coach was the type of guy who was always showing favoritism and man was it awful! We beat them by 20 becuz we played hard and smart. We taught that guy not to jump at the wrong times. Try meditating every night before you go to bed and visualize yourself jumping higher. Do it for about 5 mins and work your way up to 20 minutes. when you meditate, make sure you take deep breaths in and out to relax your body.When you breath in and out, try to visualize and object in your room and HOLD that image in your mind. block out all the noise around you and focus on that object for about 2 minutes. When your arms and legs feel unattached to your body, you will know that you're relaxed. Try to imagine that your legs and arms are cut from your body and you feel only your head and torso. This makes it easier to relax. Then after you focus on that object in your room, focus on jumping higher a little higher each time. it wont happen over night bcuz meditation takes some practice. Then when you go to sleep, your brain will store information from everything that went on in your day and it will also store in your meditation of you jumping higher. It's like practicing in your sleep and it really works! Above all, don't overtrain and just remember that you don't need AAU basketball (unless you wanna play at Duke). It's better to workout in the offseason. If you want to play in games too, then make sure you balance it out with your training. Remember, basketball is a difficult sport to learn, so dont be hard on yourself if you fail at something.

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...