Skip navigation

5121 Views 11 Replies Latest reply: Jun 26, 2011 6:41 PM by 23AirJordan RSS
ScariestGlobe Rookie 5 posts since
Jun 21, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Jun 21, 2011 7:10 PM

Didn't play High School basketball?

I'm seventeen years old and I just finished high school. I started playingbasketball my junior year and haven't stopped since. I've gotten really good. I was a football player my whole life and I switched to basketball a little late so I didn't play it in high school. Anyone have any advice on how to get to college basketball without being scouted? any advice on how to get my name out there? Thank a lot .

• squareupnow Amateur 30 posts since
    Jun 9, 2011
    1. Jun 21, 2011 8:02 PM (in response to ScariestGlobe)
    Re: Didn't play High School basketball?

The best thing you can do is try to get in front of a coach for a workout sometime in July.  This is the recruiting period for most colleges and they can evaluate you and you can go from there.  If you start local you can pick the colleges around you and find out when they play and just show up at the gym untill the coaches let you play.  You have no game film to send so you will need to really commit to making a few trips to go play for some schools.  Once you get in front of them and you perform they will either have a spot for you or not.  If a scholarship is generated then HOORAYYYY but if one is not then you will need to go for a Walk On position.  This is a NON Scholarship situation where you would be on the team but pay your own way to school.  I have seen pleanty of players start out as a Walk On and end up with Full Scholarships after 1 year.

Keep working hard, and try your best to BUG the hell out of every local college around and then branch out from there as options come and or go.  Try to find an opportunity to play in front of the coaches at the college your interested in and that is really all you can ask for at this point that being a fair evauation as to if you can help their team or not.  You can literally call each schools assistant coach untill they either answer the phone or they call you back and ask them when a time their players are going to hoop and just show up.  Usually small college assistants are in the office and will answer the phone or at least call you back.  As late as you are in the recruiting process I would recommend NOT calling any of the Division I schools in your area because their scholarships are already in line for other players by this time of year.  Go for the small colleges - Junior College, NAIA, Division II and even Division III, that would be your best route.  I hope this helps some. Good Luck!

http://www.squareupnow.net

• dman290 Rookie 3 posts since
    May 15, 2011
    2. Jun 21, 2011 8:09 PM (in response to ScariestGlobe)

you can go to any collage in be a walk on and if u do get on that team u have to play yo best every game to get yo name out ther

ps... try to have a spot light play every game

• apwarrior99 Amateur 13 posts since
    Jan 9, 2011
    4. Jun 23, 2011 2:51 PM (in response to ScariestGlobe)

Live, breath, and die basketball! I had a similar situation to yours except that I couldn't play my senior year due to state eligibility rules by transferring schools. Alot of people told me I was done with the sport, but they didn't know that players can walk-on a team without having played HS bball! I'm going to a JUCO in Washington in the fall semester and our tryouts are September 8. Don't worry about anyone else telling you that the route 2 bball is impossible. Be proactive and work on your game when no one is looking.

• balla2011 Legend 285 posts since
    Feb 26, 2011
    5. Jun 23, 2011 9:06 PM (in response to apwarrior99)

im in your exact situation i did not play hs ball either and call me dillusional but despite i didnt do hs ball i still think im going too make the nba without a doubt, so just perfect your game and wow the coaches at the tryouts the coaches arent stupid if you are a star they are going too let you play

• 23AirJordan Legend 607 posts since
    Mar 20, 2011
    6. Jun 26, 2011 4:15 AM (in response to ScariestGlobe)

be a walk on athlete.

"I've missed more than 9,000 shots in my career. I've lost almost 300 games. 26 times, I've been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I've failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed."-Michael Jordan

Mar 20, 2011
    7. Jun 26, 2011 8:02 AM (in response to balla2011)

so garret buckmaster you think you will play in the NBA without a doubt?

"I've missed more than 9,000 shots in my career. I've lost almost 300 games. 26 times, I've been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I've failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed."-Michael Jordan

Feb 26, 2011
    8. Jun 26, 2011 9:40 AM (in response to 23AirJordan)

yes, thats how confident of my skills I am, and too make it in the nba thats how u gotta think, if you have any doubts you arent going too make it.

Mar 20, 2011
    9. Jun 26, 2011 12:07 PM (in response to balla2011)

well if you put it as your goal it's the same thing. don't you think that's a little cocky? especially if you didn't play high school ball.

Feb 26, 2011
    10. Jun 26, 2011 12:38 PM (in response to 23AirJordan)

yea, some people call me cocky I call it confidence............. in my opinion attitude is everything especially for me when I play with confidence i am unguardable so for me I have too have that "cockyness" too be successful

Mar 20, 2011
    11. Jun 26, 2011 6:41 PM (in response to balla2011)

well if it fuels you then it's fine.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points