Skip navigation

1922 Views 6 Replies Latest reply: Apr 12, 2005 8:25 AM by jkenny5150 RSS
swim_chickie Amateur 14 posts since
Jul 9, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Apr 4, 2005 11:20 AM

training

i'm trying to improve my swimming and i'm bringing up my training and all in the water, but i want to know if ya'll have any ideas for things i can outside the water. i'm starting to get really into swimming and i just want to do more. Any advice u can give would be appriciated

• jkenny5150 Legend 252 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    1. Apr 8, 2005 9:08 AM (in response to swim_chickie)
    Re: training

I'm assuming you are looking for land-based activities specifically designed to increase your strength or stamina and to improve overall speed in the water.  That's a general way to put it, but it depends on your current level and future goals.  My personal favorite is the Vasa trainer because you can go through swimming movements with much more resistance.  I also like to lift weights to target the upper body: shoulders, lats, triceps.  Pullups are surprisingly effective.  Abs are also important.  Rather than situps/crunches, I typically do a set of fly kick in the pool or go for a long run.  Many people like medicine balls, bio bench (there is a new vasa out similar to this), stair climbing, rowing ergometer, yoga, and the list is endless.  It's a matter of personal preference.  These exercises should all be suplemental though, as there is no true substitute for time in the water.  I hope that helps....

• shamrockuscg Amateur 12 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    2. Apr 9, 2005 7:32 PM (in response to swim_chickie)

ditto on the vasa trainer. not easy to find though, unless you are affiliated or connected with a swim club/team, but if you were to ask a coach in the aquatic center you swim at, i am sure they would let you use it.

abs, abs, abs. kicking is abs.

when i was swimming in high school and grade school, we did dry land before we swam.

a typical dry land would be 20-30 min run. abs, pushups, pullups.

abs: leg lifts - lie on yopur back and keep your legs a foot above the deck, then do a flutter kick for as long as you can. three sets of those will be fun.

if you are going to lift i have noticed that upright and bent over rows have really helped me. hope this helps

LIAM

Jul 9, 2007
    3. Apr 11, 2005 2:23 PM (in response to swim_chickie)

I've heard people say that vasas are hard to find, but I see them everywhere.  I know of 10 different places I could use one, and I think Kiefer has them in their catalogue.  It must be a regional thing.  One thing is for sure, unless you get one second hand, you are better off using someone else's machine.  A new vasa will set you back over $1K, and about $2K for the new high tech version.

• shamrockuscg Amateur 12 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    5. Apr 11, 2005 8:40 PM (in response to swim_chickie)

do it.

compete in the meet.

there is so much value in real race experience, and it will really help you evaluaate your training.

Jul 9, 2007
    6. Apr 12, 2005 8:25 AM (in response to swim_chickie)

I agree with shamrock.  You're not going to lose anything by doing a meet while you're out of shape (unless you're trying to impress a recruiter or a sponsor).  I enter events all the time whether I'm in shape or not, because I love to compete.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...