Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

11297 Views 47 Replies Latest reply: Jul 20, 2011 7:26 AM by IAmBarry RSS Go to original post 1 2 3 4 Previous Next
  • squilky Pro 91 posts since
    Jul 18, 2007
    Currently Being Moderated
    18. Jun 23, 2011 12:13 PM (in response to IAmBarry)
    Re: Newbie - training to get sub 20 minute 5k

haha, I'll try to remember that.

Friends who have run it tell me that most people are pretty courtious and the slower runners stay off to the side to allow faster runners to pass by. To your point about the bottlenecks, I think as these events get more popular these bottlenecks will get worse. I believe the one in Budds Creek was stretched over 2 days, but even with that being said, I think each wave was about 500 people. So I could see where things could get over crowded.

Seems like these mud runs are really taking off. I saw one advertised for around Halloween called a zombie dash. As you run people dressed as zombies chase you around the course. What will they think of next :-)

MK

Couch to 5k completed: 7/15/2011

USPTO 5K 10/16/2011; 29:14 110/238

Bull Run Festival of Lights 5K 12/31/2011; 31:30 324/683

Primal Mud Run 4/14/2012; 1:29:29

Cody's Crew 5k 9/16/2012 31:15

• tompor1 Amateur 23 posts since
    Aug 5, 2009
    19. Jun 24, 2011 5:36 AM (in response to IAmBarry)

I use a garmin 405 CX which has a chest strap. I use this device for two things first I already stated; to keep my heart rate in allowable limits on long runs. Second I use this to track my milage and time when I wish to just enjoy my run and not pay any attention to where I am or what the milage is. At the end of the run I can download all the info to keep my log up-to-date.

I have no experience with any other type of heart rate monitor to compare mine to. I have had two Garmins and like them, but would NOT recommend the 405cx or any device that uses the benzel to operate the functions on. Push buttons are sooo much better. The 405cx seems to dislike water and sweat and guess what happens when you run, yeah, you may sweat some. I have started wearing a large bandaid under the 405cx to insulate it from my sweaty wrist.

Love the heart rate monitor and the ability to log in the map of my run and all the good stuff the Garmin does. I have Map my run installed on my Droid phone, but don't like carrying the phone with me, also have a pulse check on the Droid but it would be hard to use while running.

Run Earth Days 5K..........29:53......9:38/mile.........1'st race in two years

Ford City Heritage Days 5K......27:52......8:59/mile

Red October Run 5K...Wayne, Michigan........Oct 1....28:08

Pain is temporary

Pride is forever

Tom

• Ericd3043 Legend 266 posts since
    Aug 2, 2009
    20. Jun 24, 2011 2:00 PM (in response to tompor1)

I have a Garmin as well with the chest strap.  I think it is the 210, but cannot remember .  Had it for about 2 years and works great.  I have yet to use the heart monitor though.... maybe I should.

I would definitely recommend getting the right shoes.  I have been feeling much better with proper shoes.  My wife gives me grief esp. when the salesman told her I would need another pair before the marathon if I run the miles I have scheduled... She is still having trouble believing that my old shoes are shot.

My race times (2012)

Race Schedule for the year:

May 6th Frederick Running Festival 1/2 Marathon

May 28th Run through the Park, Ligonier 5k

August Tentative - 5 miler in Chambersburg, PA

October Baltimore Running Festival Marathon (also the 2nd part of the MD Double challenge)

Personal Best :

5K : 28:32 Run through the Park, Ligonier PA

5mile : TBA- Marine Corp 5 Miler in August, Chambersburg PA

10mile : 1:44:52 Cherry Blossum Festival Run, Washington DC

Marathon : 5:01:22 Akron Marathon

• tompor1 Amateur 23 posts since
    Aug 5, 2009
    23. Jun 25, 2011 9:38 AM (in response to IAmBarry)

No, the pace they show as you run varies too much to be of any real value, however the final numbers such as at the end of a mile or at the end of three miles is pretty accurate. Of course it could vary slightly with the accuracy of the GPS signal.

Just wondering how you are measuring the distance you ran? I find most parks, trails, etc have some inaccurate mile markers. The one trail I use has the two mile marker short by at least 300-400 feet. That is a considerable amount distance that will affect your pace quite a lot. 

Run Earth Days 5K..........29:53......9:38/mile.........1'st race in two years

Ford City Heritage Days 5K......27:52......8:59/mile

Red October Run 5K...Wayne, Michigan........Oct 1....28:08

Pain is temporary

Pride is forever

Tom

• Ericd3043 Legend 266 posts since
    Aug 2, 2009
    25. Jun 27, 2011 11:18 AM (in response to IAmBarry)

I have found that the pacing is not 100%.  Usually, it will show my pace from about 15 -30 seconds after I was running this.  The easiest way to see this is when you are going up hill after a down hill/ flat stretch - I have noticed it then - the rest of the time, it is pretty accurate.  Though, I have wondered a couple of times when it seemed like I was dragging and yet the pace showed I was going at a good clip...

My race times (2012)

Race Schedule for the year:

May 6th Frederick Running Festival 1/2 Marathon

May 28th Run through the Park, Ligonier 5k

August Tentative - 5 miler in Chambersburg, PA

October Baltimore Running Festival Marathon (also the 2nd part of the MD Double challenge)

Personal Best :

5K : 28:32 Run through the Park, Ligonier PA

5mile : TBA- Marine Corp 5 Miler in August, Chambersburg PA

10mile : 1:44:52 Cherry Blossum Festival Run, Washington DC

Marathon : 5:01:22 Akron Marathon

• protometal Pro 124 posts since
    Aug 31, 2010
    27. Jun 27, 2011 12:15 PM (in response to IAmBarry)

Barry,

Good luck on your goal. I too am aiming for a sub-20 minute 5k.... just not this year. I am a couple years younger than you, but we seem to be in about the same place in terms of 5k times. (I'm at a 26 min 5k, down from 30 just a couple months ago).

There are a few reasons why I won't run a sub 20 min. 5k this year. One is that I am also training for a 10 mile race and a half marathon. It involves a slightly different focus. Another is that I just can fit that much running into my schedule. I try to run three times a week, though I'd like to do four when I can. Also, like others have mentioned, I am concerned about injury from overuse. I have been very cautious in my training, because I am trying to not only reach a time goal, but to make an overall fitness lifestyle change. I am getting faster, but I'm not willing to do it at all costs. Finally, I have found that obsessing too much about time made running much less fun. This sport/hobby/activity is fun for me right now because I stopped worrying and obsessing about time and just do my thing. Don't get me wrong, I have a general plan which I follow and goals, but I don't worry about them and have learned to be a bit flexible. I'll see where I'm at late in the year and decide if next year will be the year for sub 20s.

I really hope you meet your goal! I'm interested in your progess and hope that you will continue to post and keep the community updated on how you are doing. We love to see people doing well and take inspiration from them. Best of luck!

Protometal

"Whether You Think You Can or Can't, You're Right"-- Henry Ford

Upcoming races: Super 5k 2/3/13

Select Recent Results: Brooksie Way Half Marathon - 1:49:09 (Half Marathon PR), Open Door Julie Run 5k - 22:16 (2nd place age group, PR)

Check out my Running Blog: http://clippinalong.blogspot.com .

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...