Skip navigation

1686 Views 7 Replies Latest reply: Jun 24, 2011 5:46 PM by baller98
ScariestGlobe Rookie 5 posts since
Jun 21, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Jun 22, 2011 4:26 PM

Advice for short college players?

So I'm gonna be going into my first year of college and am pretty insecure about my height being a basketball player. I'm 5'9 with a 7'1 standing height with a 5'7 wingspan. I'm left handed, and obviously a point guard, lol. One of my strengths is getting to the basket and my mid range shooting but that's gonna change once I go up against 6 foot players. Does anyone have any advice on what I can work on to makemyself more dangerous on the court being little? Thanks so much.

• baller98 Pro 116 posts since
    Apr 6, 2011
    1. Jun 22, 2011 4:48 PM (in response to ScariestGlobe)
    Re: Advice for short college players?

well...theres always the step-back, tear drop, hook, etc... search it on youtube 4 more help. hope this is useful.

PS~ wht college will u b playing 4??

~if u wanna be a somebody in basketball, u gotta work hard~

• squareupnow Amateur 30 posts since
    Jun 9, 2011
    3. Jun 22, 2011 7:15 PM (in response to ScariestGlobe)

If you are trying to walk on at the Univ of Miami they will want to see some specific things from you.  Especially as a guard you will have to play VERY good defense and show them how hard you are willing to work on the basketball court.  Diving for loose balls, boxing out, playing pestering defense.  They will not be concerned with your scoring ability right now so focus on being real good at defense because as a walk on they will be wanting you to very often play the scout team and learn the oppositions plays for the next week in practice depending on who they are going up against.  If you are a little guy, then be a little guy.  Make them look at you as the fastest little dude on the floor, defending, handling the ball solid and making quality decisions with distributing the ball.  High major DI schools are not looking at walkons to score points and be the man, they want a role player.  Someone who can eventually step up as a scholarship player if they prove themselves.  But first and foremost they want a guy who gets it done defensively, handles the ball solid, and has a never give up - run through a brick wall for my coach type of attitude.  Keep working hard!..

http://www.squareupnow.net

• 23AirJordan Legend 607 posts since
    Mar 20, 2011
    4. Jun 23, 2011 5:53 AM (in response to squareupnow)

Miami, nice man. I hope you start, tell me if you make it and if you get the starting job. I'll look for you on t.v.

But some moves you can use are the double crossover dribbles, driving and the turnaround j. You need to work on your moves and they have a lot of that on youtube so just search up some random good moves on youtube and I guarentee you'll find something.

"I've missed more than 9,000 shots in my career. I've lost almost 300 games. 26 times, I've been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I've failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed."-Michael Jordan

• TheBigGerman Rookie 1 posts since
    Jun 23, 2011
    5. Jun 23, 2011 8:45 AM (in response to ScariestGlobe)

Watch highlights of other small successful point guards like JJ Barrea to see how they get to the basket.

• baller98 Pro 116 posts since
    Apr 6, 2011
    7. Jun 24, 2011 5:46 PM (in response to ScariestGlobe)

lol good luck bro.  u can do all things through God who strengthens u!!! again, good luck!!! hope ya make it biggg!!!!!!

~if u wanna be a somebody in basketball, u gotta work hard~

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points