Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

954 Views 6 Replies Latest reply: Jun 27, 2011 6:27 PM by KeepingPace RSS
KeepingPace Rookie 4 posts since
Jun 23, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Jun 23, 2011 1:14 PM

Long run cramping -- what's to do about it?

I started running five years ago to deal with high blood pressure, and I was limiting my sodium as part of that.  Last year I turned 50, and I trained for my first half marathon and I fought hamstring and calf cramping the last three weeks of training.  We have lots of hills where I live.  That race ended with me stopping ten or more times during the last three to five miles to deal with leg cramping, and I finished the race with my toes all curled up and my ankles locked up.  I blamed my cramping on a lack of electrolytes due to the limited sodium.  Now, I'm increasing the sodium (and my blood pressure is fine) and paying more attention to my potassium levels (actually drinking sports drinks before longer runs) and I'm still cramping around the 7 mile mark.  Thankfully I have three more months to train, but I sure want to get this cramping figured out.  Anyone else deal with leg cramps, and find anything that works?

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points