Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

498 Views 1 Reply Latest reply: Jun 23, 2011 4:24 PM by JamesJohnsonLMT RSS
20Golfview Rookie 2 posts since
Oct 29, 2009
Currently Being Moderated

Jun 23, 2011 11:16 AM

Broken ankle

I am trying to get back into jogging/running.  I broke my ankle in February.  Now have plates and pins in the ankle.  Any help with a training program?

• JamesJohnsonLMT Legend 1,150 posts since
    Aug 23, 2009
    Currently Being Moderated
    1. Jun 23, 2011 4:24 PM (in response to 20Golfview)
    Re: Broken ankle

My two cents, is to make sure you start with non-impact aerobics   like pool running, proceeding through spinning, ellipticals, and   rebounders,  until sufficient tone has built up in the muscles  you plan   to use,  using the type of muscle fibers that will eventually  be doing   the  work. A lot of strength-building exercises do not train  enough of the  right   muscle fibers. On the other hand, wobble-boarding  at slower  speeds will  be helpful.

Your running  muscles  include  slow-twitch, fast-twitch,  and super-fast twitch  (white)  muscle fibers,  which are not all trained  by most exercises.  Just  training the muscle  you plan to use is not the  same as training  the  FIBERS you plan to use.  Aim your training program  toward faster,  more  vigorous work after you  have spent sufficient time  gauging your   recovery. By all means ramp up  slowly, but make sure the  eventual   destination involves enough speed to  exhaust you, before you  make   plans to hit the road. This will alter  your hormonal response for    maximum muscle growth, which is what you  need most after all that down    time and atrophy. Then, when you are ready for  pavement, you will  truly hit the   ground running.

An example would be a few minutes of  warm up followed by 10 minute sets   of 30 second speed intervals followed  by 90 second recoveries, done  at  an intensity that produces heavy  breathing. Work your way up to 20   minute sets 2-3 times a week with  plenty of time left to remodel your   recovering muscles.This kind of workout gives you maximum results with  maximum recovery time.

If I were you, I  would not hit the actual road  until  September, after at least two  months building up to your first  run.  When you start running again,  start as if you were a new runner.  Add  no more than a mile or two a week  until the end of the year. The  rule  of thumb for athletic recovery is two months recovery for every  month  down, before you reach the level you were at when you stopped.  When I  took six months off for an injury, it was more than a year before  my 5k  times were close to pre-accident levels. Don't lose patience with  the  process. You will continue to improve, just like when you started   running. Following the advice above should speed things up as much as   possible.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points