Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

726 Views 1 Reply Latest reply: Jun 26, 2011 6:52 PM by lenzlaw RSS
Karl86lf Rookie 1 posts since
Jun 26, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Jun 26, 2011 4:56 PM

Feeling Flat / Fatigued After Race - 6 weeks later

Hello everyone, first time posting here as I'm at my wits end trying to get my body to respond to training the way it should. In a nutshell - I raced the Ragnar Relay (3x legs of 8miles each, 1000+ feet elevation change per leg) about 6 weeks ago during my aerobic periodisation phase, had to take about 2 weeks for my muscles to recover - much longer than I anticipated. However, I did this through walking, very slow jogging, and generally just getting my body to respond.
The problem now is that I simply can't get my body to run as I did in pre-race form, even just for training. Where I used to be able to do long runs at a 7m clip I'm now dieing doing them at 8min.
I have been keeping a fairly detailed training log that you can see the dramatic drop off here:
Thanks so much in advance for your help - I've never run into this problem before so any input in getting my body to recover is priceless in my book.
-Karl
  • lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,389 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    Currently Being Moderated
    1. Jun 26, 2011 6:52 PM (in response to Karl86lf)
    Re: Feeling Flat / Fatigued After Race - 6 weeks later

Overtraining.  I don't know anything about your background or your training prior to what is on your spreadsheet.  According to what you've provided, you went from 20 miles per week to mid 50s in about 6 weeks. I've never seen a reputable coach, book or training plan that would recommend that kind of increase.  Also you appear to spend too much time running too close to your race pace.  You're racing at about 6:50 and you consider 7:40 an "easy" pace. Pick up a book like Daniels Running Formula (Jack Daniels) (there are other, equally worthwhile books) or read through the Running University section here http://www.mcmillanrunning.com/ to help design a better training plan.

Len

Len

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points