Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

6409 Views 22 Replies Latest reply: Oct 28, 2011 9:18 PM by mpsfamily RSS 1 2 Previous Next
BrettBH Rookie 40 posts since
Dec 14, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Dec 21, 2007 9:21 AM

Global Warming Report? Level of validity?

Does anyone have additional information on this report? On face value, appears to be more indepth then the usual propaganda.

Senate Report

• bigapplepie Legend 2,455 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    1. Dec 21, 2007 9:42 AM (in response to BrettBH)
    Re: Global Warming Report? Level of validity?

Whether or not climate change is the impacted by human activity, does any disagree that reducing pollution will lead to a better quality of life?

"Even low levels of lead can cause brain damage, increasing the

likelihood of behavioral and cognitive traits such as impulsivity,

aggressiveness, and low IQ that are strongly linked with criminal

behavior. The NYTimes has a story on how the phasing out of leaded gasoline starting with the Clean Air Act in 1973 may have led to a 56% drop in

violent crime in the US in the 1990s. An economics professor at Amherst

College, Jessica Wolpaw Reyes, discovered the connection and wrote a

paper comparing the reduction of lead from gasoline between states(PDF) and the reduction of violent crime. She constructed a table

linking crime rates in every state to childhood lead exposure in that

state 20 or 30 years earlier. If lead poisoning is a factor in the

development of criminal behavior, then countries that didn't switch to

unleaded fuel until the 1980s, like Britain and Australia, should soon

see a dip in crime as the last lead-damaged children outgrow their most

violent years."

Violent Crime in the UK (number of offences per annum)

Climate change?

Dec 14, 2007
    3. Dec 21, 2007 11:32 AM (in response to BrettBH)

Of course there's legitimacy but there is a much more compelling counter argument endorsed by 174 out of 194 national governments.

You can't tell me that 174 countries, 36 of them "developed" nations would waste money on something like this without considerable evidence.

• Tawan Rookie 97 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    4. Dec 21, 2007 11:42 AM (in response to BrettBH)

It's very simple, indeed...

http://www.break.com/index/tough-to-argue.html

Dec 14, 2007
    6. Dec 21, 2007 12:10 PM (in response to BrettBH)

BrettBH as Devil’s advocate

Poor guy - he thought every videos on the internet are from YouTube.

Dec 14, 2007
    7. Dec 21, 2007 12:19 PM (in response to BrettBH)
    BrettBH wrote:

So are you extrapollating that the other governments are not as screwed up and as self serving as ours?

This is one specific report with a high profile. Normally when a report like this surfaces, there are numerous sources sponsered by the Global Warming groups that debunk the findings or throw mud at the people involved. How often have we seen in the old CH the attack on the guy that founded the weather channel as being only a meteorologist and not a "real" scientist? Part of a finge group?

This is the most recent report forwarded that would seem to have the "teeth" (accredited professionals) in support of the NON Global warming crowd I have seen. I am looking for a specific source that countradicts this report. Not some You Tube crap.

I would suggest that the EU in particular is less susceptible to lobbying than the US Congress which primarily seems to exist to serve the needs of big business and the labor unions.

I assume that you are trying to make a point. Otherwise you could have used this site.

Do I get any points?

Dec 14, 2007
    10. Dec 21, 2007 12:42 PM (in response to BrettBH)

BrettBH wrote:

The EU less suseptable to outside influences?   How about the UN? They are ALL political organizations and equally influenced by greed, power, and money. Anyone suggesting that a European lawmaker is less open to outside influences then a US lawmaker has a very short memory.

My point is simple, I am looking for the condemnation from the Global Warming group againest this report. I did google and did not find anything of a specific nature and I was hoping that the esteemed brain trust in the CH could point me in the right direction.

So you're trying to tell me that big industry in Europe is actively lobbying for more controls?

Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change Fourth Assessment Report

• grimupnorth Rookie 204 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    11. Dec 21, 2007 12:45 PM (in response to BrettBH)

BrettBH wrote:

My point is simple, I am looking for the condemnation from the Global Warming group againest this report.

Your point is simple - but quite aggressively made. We in the CH are not used to such aggression.

Dec 14, 2007
    12. Dec 21, 2007 1:23 PM (in response to BrettBH)

That's funny because I thought the report you posted was totally garbage as well and that's why I didn't bother.

Besides, who still debates global warming except those living under a rock? We're now in the phase of damage control and in case you didn't know, Inhofe is one of the biggest earth rapists out there.

Why you give the guy a free pass without questioning him is beyond me. Oh, that's right - global warming is something the alarmist left-wing Canadian hippies made up to scare the good people of the world and anything coming from the moonbat liberals must be untrue because this is after all, a political issue.

• Arrojo Rookie 78 posts since
    Dec 11, 2007
    13. Dec 21, 2007 1:40 PM (in response to BrettBH)

Of course the report is valid.  Given enough money I could find the .0001% of the earth's scientists who will dispute that the earth is round.  But unlike the Senator whose huge personal stake in the oil industry consumes his entire political agenda, I have no personal stake in the earth being flat.  Hence, my report would be more meaningful.

Dec 14, 2007
    14. Dec 21, 2007 1:51 PM (in response to BrettBH)

Hey Brett, is this the same Inhofe that called global warming a hoax and then invited Michael Crichton to testify in support? Whoa! Talk about credibility!

And hey, if God's still up there then he sure wouldn't let global warming happen now, would he?

San Francisco -- Oklahoma Senator James Inhofe once again has demonstrated that his kind of rightwing ideologue really doesn't believe in learning from experience -- because that would mean acknowledging reality. Inhofe, of course, is the ranking Republican on the Senate's Environment and Public Works Committee (although that may change soon). His latest proclamation on global warming is that we shouldn't worry; it can't be anything other than natural because "God's still up there." (Do listen to this link -- it's funny.) The theology behind Inhofe's position is a little murky -- it would be more consistent if Inhofe argued that global warming was happening because God wanted it to -- after all, in Genesis, God promised that the next time he destroyed the earth it would not be with a flood but with fire. (Some of Inhofe's supporters do take this view -- global warming is the end of the world, and it's about time too.)

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...