Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

8288 Views 40 Replies Latest reply: Jan 25, 2008 1:38 PM by runcoach1 RSS 1 2 3 Previous Next
bdags061 Rookie 61 posts since
Dec 14, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Dec 21, 2007 9:56 AM

Coolrunners are moving to runningahead.com in droves

In case your just checking in and wondering where everyone went....

Also, thier training log is fantastic!

• IceStorm213 Rookie 352 posts since
    Nov 1, 2005
    1. Dec 21, 2007 10:05 AM (in response to bdags061)
    Re: Coolrunners are moving to runningahead.com in droves

I'm not.

• runawayjesse Rookie 538 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007

And when running ahead needs to change things around due to the volume increase everyone will get their panties in a bunch and go somewhere else. The same thing happened on RW forums when they upgraded a few years back. Some poster created an ani forum. This reminds me of the kid who didn't like the rules of the game so he takes his ball and goes elsewhere. This is all rather childish if you ask me.

CR came off with a decent explaination if you ask me. Lets get on with life shall we.

Dec 14, 2007

Customers ehhh? How much money have you spent on CR? In the 3 years I have been coming here to discuss running I haven't bought a single thing. I'm not a customer, just another guy enjoying a free service the internet offers.

Furthermore I find your post insulting. I probably take some shots from posters because I speak my thoughts. I don't follow the crowd, buy into the current trend. I have my own thoughts and experiences and people don't like that I go against the grain sometimes. I can't do much abuut that.  Maybe I deserve some criticism and I live up to that when it's done in good taste.

I have an opinion and because it differs from yours you condiser me a jacka$$? I don't have to take that from you, your a jacka$$!

• ahile Rookie 19 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007

We're not exactly customers, but hits are important. We're viewers (much like a TV audience) and as such we're a valuable commodity. But something ain't right, certainly the transition was badly botched, and ultimately, we're consumers (or viewers if you like) and can make choices.

Anyway, read what Liam has to say in another post. It all ties together with the general theme of what's going on here, and why so many people are leaving:

QUOTE;

I have as much idea as you guys as to what the heck is going on.

I have been a Moderator at Cool Running, and Kick! before that since

1998. I was around for the merge between Kick and CR, and can recall

that we had a few minor snags at that time, but generally, most things

went well. I have read what Dave has written, and reflected on the

words of Active Sally, but sadly I am distressed by all that is going

on. My running log has been imported, but if falls WAY short of what I

was expecting, and what I was used to , on what I believe has been

called an inferior product. We,,. I for one liked my inferior model.

I was more than happy to hang around and see what fell out, expecting a

few problems, but with little or no support for us Mods, and the

cavalier way that the Couch to 5K programme has been treated (in case

you wern't aware, I was one of the authors, and NO, I have not received

a cent in royalties in 12 years!) -

I have taken my log to Running Ahead, along with many others, and thank

the owner of that site for his support. I truly hope that Actives's

support for the Cool Running Community is grounded and will result,

eventually, in a community based on runners, for runners, and widely

respected. At this moment, I fear the haemorrage will be terminal, and

that is not good for any of us - runners, moderators, commercial

sponsors etc.... I'll keep my fingers crossed, and my options open, but

I would like to end these words with thanks to all who have made the

Basic Training Froum at Coolrunning a delight to moderate. The vast

majority would not know me - why? - Because I have had little to deal

with as BT has been a great forum, and had great users over the years -

so little to actually have to moderate - Long may that continue, and I

hope that those I count as friends will still be around, still run, and

still post - here, at Kickrunners, at RunningAhead, or wherever we may

turn up

Fingers Crossed - we will survive as friends.....

Liam (now known as Liam3494 - they couldn't even leave a Mod with his original handle!) UNQUOTE

Regards,

Arla

• mrourke Rookie 30 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    7. Dec 23, 2007 1:43 PM (in response to ahile)
    Re: Coolrunners are moving to runningahead.com in droves

Running ahead seems alright. I am not asking for much just the ability to see the last three years of logs. I do not care about the shoes, I know enough to know when they are needing replacement, and I not care about the weather tabs etc. I just want to see a graph of running and CT. These graphs tell me alot.

How can I export the recently imported logs out of active?

It seems very sad to only be able to see one month at a time, or one week or one day. I can not tell much from 20 workouts, but 100 say something.

I wonder if the employees at active are in fact active?

Can someone please help me get my logs to excel? Or elsewhere in full?

Happy Holidays and happy running.

• ahile Rookie 19 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007

Good luck getting your logs from Active. I started working with me on getting my logs, but when I asked them to let me download them, all went silent (this was on the 20th). We'll see what happens after the holidays.

Meanwhile, I started logging at Running Ahead and it's awesome.

Arla

• VictorN Rookie 395 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007

While I'm nott "moving" to runningahead, I have started my running log over there (it is pretty good) and am on both the active forums and runningahead forums.  So I guess you could say I'm hedging my bets.  If, however, Active doesn't fix the need to constantly login pretty soon, I just won't bother any more.  I had to login three times to post a response to this thread.  It isn't worth it.

Victor

• MrPHinNJ Amateur 139 posts since
    Oct 10, 2007

I'm not going to bust anyone's chops for leaving OR staying.  Everyone has their own personal reasons for doing what they do.  For me it just doesn't make any sense to pick up and leave.  It's still too early in the migration, plus the holidays are here and people are off doing other things.  I am going to wait it out and see what happens.  I figure in a month or so I'll have a good idea of the way things will be.

There was quite a bit of good content at CoolRunning.  The bottom line is if the content is still here I am not going to let my dissatisfaction with Active keep me from it.

• MilebyMile Amateur 307 posts since
    Aug 15, 2007

Unfortunately the content is starting to get old and the key contributors that kept things moving along seem to be gone. So everyone is looking and finding better, more friendly sites. I am sure Active was trying keep this community together and I have to say they failed. It seems that people are not going to hang around while they take months to provide enhancements (maybe at a charge). If  a community of runners come together here it will be different. Coolrunning is now gone. I am sure this is not what they were hoping for since they actually kept the coolrunning forums seperate. Now when I look at these post, I see pretty old info. They should have had a plan B, in my opinion, put the old site back up until they had a plan that would keep the posters from moving somewhere else.

I am in IT and I do not buy the argument that the technology was unmanageable. Personally it might not be to late to still bring the old site back. They would at least have a shot at keeping a 75% of the people. There is nothing of value that was posted or migrated to this software.

In my opinion the value that was once known as coolrunning is almost gone. I remember hearing people early on worried about this migration and I actually kind of laughed because they were worried about it. I thought surely they would have a plan in place and there would be some bumps but all would be ok. If I was the one counting on some value being moved to Active from Coolrunning I would be looking for the person responsible.

Seems like there might have been some runners with some IT skills in charge of this migration. They should have had some good IT people in charge of this.

I also find it amazing that they seem to be holding peoples running logs as hostage to try to keep some people. This is not going to work either.

They still might be seeing some site hit numbers here from old coolrunners but it is more of a curiosity that will soon end.

Dec 14, 2007

Well call me optimistic but I think CR will recover just fine. I recall Runners World had to make a forum upgrade a few years ago. Their upgrade was flawless, even better IMO yet people had the same negative attitude as we are seeing here. Droves of posters moved to a refugee forum created by some computer savvy RW poster. Time eventually healed the wounds and another crowd was born. Some of the oldies finally accepted the change and came back but no one missed the bitter ones(who I suspect still carry a brick on their shoulder)who didn't. Check back here in 6 months and don't be surprised if you are tempted to post.

• RunZRun Rookie 54 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007

that's not a nice thing to say.

personally i almost never agree with what runnawayjesse has to say, but if i don't agree with some one does not make them a jacka$$, nor does it make me a jacka$$ for not agreeing with them.

• bigapplepie Legend 2,455 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007

Runningahead is not bad though I still haven't seen enough of the regulars there.

Maybe I'll move to letsrun.com...when its working.

1 2 3 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...