Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

4174 Views 703 Replies Latest reply: Dec 3, 2010 6:51 PM by racebug313 Go to original post 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 47 Previous Next
  • scsully Rookie 7 posts since
    Mar 4, 2005
    Currently Being Moderated
    45. Apr 1, 2005 1:16 PM (in response to christa0120)
    Re: colon issues (sorry)

quote:

Originally posted by wherestheportojohn:

Congrats on the successful run!!!

Wish that had worked for me today....

sigh

even after an elaborate morning ritual Re: colon issues (sorry), I did  8.5 miles and nothing changed....

sigh

I'm glad I've got an appt to see the GI doc later this month

sigh once more

I'm sorry you had a troublesome run. Be excited about seeing a GI, they can really find stuff that helps. And just knowing what the issue is can be comforting.  If your GI suggests a colonoscopy, DO IT, they really aren't that bad and they give great insight into what's really happening. And if you're lucky, you get to keep the pictures of you're insides 

• wherestheportojohn Rookie 206 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    46. Dec 21, 2007 11:27 AM (in response to christa0120)

HAHAHA
    thanks for the 'cheering up'

I had a flex-sig last year ...and my mom tells me that the colonoscopy is much more 'user friendly'

I hope the GI doc suggests it as a way to eliminate yet one more concern.

• Currently Being Moderated
    47. Apr 1, 2005 5:43 PM (in response to christa0120)

Hey wherestheportajohn, I've decided to schedule a colonoscopy so you won't feel alone!

Dec 14, 2007
    48. Apr 2, 2005 6:46 AM (in response to christa0120)

ann,
    Good for you!
    Hope you can get in within a reasonable time-frame; around here, there's a looong wait for that procedure.
    I owe you an email....will try to get one off this weekend.

Today is a X-Training day for me....so no worries!
    OY!

• ShelleyM073 Rookie 275 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    49. Apr 2, 2005 7:19 AM (in response to christa0120)

Wherestheportajohn-I am so glad that you are going to see a GI.  I am betting that you have UC.  Please let us know what happens after the dr. appt.  I'm sure they'll schedule a colonoscopy.

----

My Profile[/URL" target="_blank">

• Abolyen Amateur 14 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    50. Apr 4, 2005 7:22 PM (in response to christa0120)

Just to add my two cents worth.
    I have also had the same issues discussed in this thread (loose bloody stool during run , urgency, incontinence etc) I have had the dreaded colonoscopy to rule out anything "sinister"( a must I'm afraid folks just to be on the safe side. ) So armed with the diagnosis of ischemic colon I set about to tackle the symptoms. Immodium is no good for me as it causes me to double up with side stitches around mile two. What has helped me is a regular dose of psyllium husk capsules (metamucil or the store brand equivilant) I take six caps twice a day in order to maintain a regular BM. It has really helped . There are still times when I have to sprint for the bushes but these are fewer and fewer. Before a race I find that pre race nerves and a good warm up run usually get thing going so I can take care of business before the race starts. I think generally everyone has to experiment with diet and meds to find their solution.
    Good luck

Dec 14, 2007
    51. Dec 21, 2007 11:27 AM (in response to christa0120)

quote:

Originally posted by Abolyen:

Just to add my two cents worth.
    I have also had the same issues discussed in this thread (loose bloody stool during run , urgency, incontinence etc) I have had the dreaded colonoscopy to rule out anything "sinister"( a must I'm afraid folks just to be on the safe side. ) So armed with the diagnosis of ischemic colon I set about to tackle the symptoms. Immodium is no good for me as it causes me to double up with side stitches around mile two. What has helped me is a regular dose of psyllium husk capsules (metamucil or the store brand equivilant) I take six caps twice a day in order to maintain a regular BM. It has really helped . There are still times when I have to sprint for the bushes but these are fewer and fewer. Before a race I find that pre race nerves and a good warm up run usually get thing going so I can take care of business before the race starts. I think generally everyone has to experiment with diet and meds to find their solution.
    Good luck

interesting suggestion....did you do the metamucil because you were low on ALL fiber intake within your daily diet?

I take in plenty of fiber Re: colon issues (sorry) within my daily food plan, but wonder if the large amount of soluble fiber in metamucil is what I lack....I need to go over my daily journal and make some kind of comparison.

thanks for your input

[http://This message has been edited by wherestheportojohn (edited Apr-05-2005).|http://This message has been edited by wherestheportojohn (edited Apr-05-2005).]

• Abolyen Amateur 14 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    52. Apr 5, 2005 7:21 PM (in response to christa0120)

I try to maintain a well balanced diet including complex carbs whole grains etc but the extra fiber that I get from the metamucil just seems to keep thing moving better.

Dec 14, 2007
    53. Apr 7, 2005 5:20 AM (in response to christa0120)

Okay, I'm convinced to try the metamucil, since you're the second person Re: colon issues (sorry) who recommended it.

After comparing my consumption of soluble v insoluble fiber, I see that even tho I take in more than the MDR of fiber for women, I'm really out of balance with the two types.

I'll give it a shot, eh?

• ShelleyM073 Rookie 275 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    54. Apr 7, 2005 5:54 AM (in response to christa0120)

Thought I would just add that my GI put me on a Metamucil type aid when I was first diagnosed with UC.  There must be something in it that helps the colon out, even if you eat a lot of fiber.

----

My Profile[/URL" target="_blank">

55. Apr 7, 2005 8:04 AM (in response to christa0120)

I know a lot of you are ganna think this sounds CRAZY....but eliminating red meat from your diet may help... 4 years ago or so I had weird stomach and "colon" problems....became a strict vegetarian and have no problems...it can't hurt and it's really good for you....granted the longest I've ever ran is 6 miles...but I ran it with no pain....hope that helps some....steph

Dec 14, 2007
    56. Apr 7, 2005 4:08 PM (in response to christa0120)

thanks for the red meat suggestion

personally, I eat red meat only once in a blue moon, and my running-with-GI-issues are constant...so I'm sure that's not my problem

but thanks for the suggestion/it might work for others on this thread

57. Apr 8, 2005 12:52 PM (in response to christa0120)

Greetings to Wherestheportajohn, Shelley and all others who have to deal with this wonderful affliction! Well tommorrow I'm in a 10K with 17,000 other people- think of me and send a blessing my way, OK?. I've done this one before and they have TONS of portajohns, which is comforting. I'm setting my alarm for 5 AM to give myself plenty of time before the 8:30 start! Have a great weekend all!

Dec 14, 2007
    58. Apr 8, 2005 3:49 PM (in response to christa0120)

Ann,
    GOOD LUCK and have fun!
    You'll be fine, I bet!

My sis is doing a very fun local 5k tomorrow...but I am so paranoid, that I won't do it with her.
    Last year I ran an 8k, a 10k, and did a Duathlon.
    For all three events, I took WAY to much imodium, stressed out, po0o0ped about a thousand times beforehand...and stressed even more!

I will not be signing up for any events until I get this issue resolved.

Today I did 5 miserable Re: colon issues (sorry) miles in weather that was too HOT for me at this early stage of Wisconsin's spring. LOL

I don't tolerate heat AT ALL, so 62 degrees in early April simply ruined my run.
    And hey, now I get to go outside and wash windows!
    Oh joy!

59. Apr 8, 2005 4:35 PM (in response to christa0120)

Thanks Karen! I'm currently neurosing about what to eat tonite. Decided on Chicken Parmesian take out from a local restaurant,  (a very little) salad, roll. Not too little, not too much. I need to eat the EXACT right amount....And I need to stop worrying about the race because that definitely makes it worse.

1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 47 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...