Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

68742 Views 703 Replies Latest reply: Dec 3, 2010 6:51 PM by racebug313 RSS Go to original post 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 47 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    60. Apr 9, 2005 1:48 PM (in response to christa0120)
    Re: colon issues (sorry)

I did it!      !http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/smile.gif|src=http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/smile.gif|border=0!
    And I ran it 2 WHOLE seconds faster than last year! My colon cooperated beautifully. Last nite it was really giving me trouble so I was SO thankful it behaved. Once I read on some forum that this guy swore by his 2 hard-boiled eggs before every race. I've been doing that 2-3 hrs before my races. I haven't had problems since I started doing this; of course it could be just a coincidence...(who knows!)...Took one immodium last nite, one this morning.
    YIPEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• wherestheportojohn Rookie 206 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    Currently Being Moderated
    61. Apr 9, 2005 4:43 PM (in response to christa0120)

YAHOO!!! Ann!!
    WTG... a race PR and a po0op PR!
    now go and write down everything you ate, and what routine you used to prep for the race

I'm going to have to try the hardboiled egg trick.....I had one major pit stop during my little 3.5 tempo run this morning.

But isn't it a royal pain to have to angst about this stuff before each and every run?
    I have often been this >< close to quitting running because of it.

::Congrats again::

• nyterunner Rookie 2 posts since
    Apr 24, 2000
    62. Apr 9, 2005 10:15 PM (in response to christa0120)

Just happened to stop by this site, similar problems but not anywhere near as bad, but I couldn't stop reading. Dang! You poor souls.
    Anyway, I work in surgery.  There is a procedure called SECCA (not exactly sure what it stands for) that a rectal surgeon in our area (Michigan) does for fecal incontinence.  The procedure actually is done under local anesthesia with sedation, only takes about half an hour, and what it basically does is cause "burns" to the muscle which in turn causes growth of scar tissue, which in turn gives more of a feeling when you need to go. I'm sure information could be found on this topic online somewhere. I hope this helps someone.  I will try to find more info and if I do, will come back and post again.  Good luck to all of you!

63. Apr 9, 2005 11:28 PM (in response to christa0120)

wherestheportajohn thanks for the congrats-and to the guy who had info about the surgery in Michigan - I'd love to  hear more about it.

• ShelleyM073 Rookie 275 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    64. Apr 10, 2005 11:03 AM (in response to christa0120)

Ann-Congratulations on your run.  I'm going to have to try the hb egg trick also.  I had the feeling today that I would have problems, so I ran around my neighborhood.  There is quite a bit of construction going on, so there a many portapottys nearby.  I never know if I should use them or not, but when it's an emergency, I'm sure they don't mind.  Nobody's there on Sunday anyway.  As it turned out my 12 mile run was fine.  I did make a pit stop just in case! 

As far as the procedure that was talked about: I don't have a problem of being able to tell when I have to go. It just comes really fast, and can't be held in.

----

My Profile[/URL" target="_blank">

Dec 14, 2007
    65. Apr 10, 2005 4:28 PM (in response to christa0120)

shelly,
    that's my problem too--> I know what's coming and if i can't find anywhere to go FAST, then it's doomsday for me

Oh, and I use constructions site portopotties all the time Re: colon issues (sorry) as well as gas stations, restaurants, even local businesses if nothing else is available.
    Once I saw a woman coming out of her condo to get her paper and I BEGGED to use her powder room...she was great and let me in.

HAHA! I love living in a friendly community!

Did a fun 4 on the TM at 5am this morning before heading out to my son's soccer tourney.
    I needed to bolt upstairs for one pit during the first 1/2 mile, then the rest of the run was a breeze.

have a great rest of the weekend, all

Dec 14, 2007
    66. Apr 12, 2005 5:21 PM (in response to christa0120)

I'm not letting this thread die...no matter how hard you try to kill it
    OY!

for those keeping score:
    it seems as if the combo of 1 imodium + the 2x/daily dosage of metamucil has slowed things down for me during my runs

Only 1 pit per run this week....amazing

OTOH, it is still necessary to MAKE that pit even in 3, 4, and 5 mile shorty runs....so some work is still in order.

carry on

• sandijam Rookie 52 posts since
    Sep 29, 2002
    67. Apr 12, 2005 9:54 PM (in response to christa0120)

I'm really disappointed as I thought this had gone away but again during my run today, I had to stop due to stomach cramps and then after I went to the washroom (#2) I was fine and this was after having a regular BM in the am and also after taking an imodium. Someone suggested maybe it's something I' eating that I'm allergic to. I was thinking maybe milk. Any suggestions?

68. Apr 13, 2005 4:54 AM (in response to christa0120)

sandijam, I would definitely test the dairy theory because it's such a common allergy. Good luck!

• dobe runner Rookie 5 posts since
    Jun 13, 2004
    69. Apr 13, 2005 7:02 AM (in response to christa0120)

I take Slippery Elm capsules 2x's a day. They are an anti-spasmodic and work wonders for me. Unlike Immodium they will not (jeez I couldn't think of a another word) constipate you unless you are eating no fiber at all. It is very important to take them on a regular basis if you use them. They do not build up resistance that I can tell. I have been on them for a year now and I am so much happier. I was never able to go anywhere due to IBS. Now I don't have to constantly think about where the restrooms are.

• CSuzette Rookie 290 posts since
    Apr 8, 2005
    70. Apr 13, 2005 12:16 PM (in response to christa0120)

I would like to know more about the biofeedback expert in Wellsley, MA.  Thanks!

Suzette
    Boston, MA

ps:  I sympathize with your pain...but I wouldn't bother with the GI doctors.  Not one of them ever helped me.  I now take the Imodium with some limited success.  It is possible that I need to take more than one in the morning.  But, somewhere I read that it can depress the central nervous system and effects something about sweating.  This might be only a minor side-effect, but if you are doing a lot of running it could be a concern.

71. Apr 13, 2005 3:24 PM (in response to christa0120)

hey dobe runner, Oh I know what you mean about the restrooms. I know where the restroom is in every restaurant, store, gas station. You name it, I've gone to the bathroom there! It's so nice to speak openly here- my family does not want me to talk about my problem (ah, will it then go away or cease to exist?..no....)  Never heard of Slippery Elm, but I'm definitely going to try it. Do I get it at a nutrition store? Immodium has worked for me, but I did take two last week before a 10 K, then was constipated the next two days, which wasn't fun...(but definitely better than the alternative!). Thanks for the info!

• dobe runner Rookie 5 posts since
    Jun 13, 2004
    72. Apr 13, 2005 4:54 PM (in response to christa0120)

acp50

You can find them in a health food store. They run about $6-$10 for 100 capsules. I don't remember seeing them in GNC though.

• sandijam Rookie 52 posts since
    Sep 29, 2002
    73. Apr 13, 2005 8:25 PM (in response to christa0120)

who would have thought that this was such a popular topic of conversation   

74. Apr 14, 2005 11:53 AM (in response to christa0120)

The Colon rules! You guys have been so helpful. I'm going to get metamucil & slippery elm for my colon, then I'm getting magnesium & quinine for my achy stiff legs.(see other thread). THEN I will be in tip top shape, I will BE Super-Ann. I will run at 9 min pace (don't laugh, that's fast for me). I will run an entire marathon without walking or pain and I will get younger every year! Yes, I have a dream! Please don't wake me!

1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 47 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...