Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

4847 Views 703 Replies Latest reply: Dec 3, 2010 6:51 PM by racebug313 Go to original post 1 ... 43 44 45 46 47 Previous Next
  • ShelleyM073 Rookie 275 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    Currently Being Moderated
    660. Dec 5, 2007 5:40 AM (in response to christa0120)
    Re: colon issues (sorry)

Barb-I would change drs!!  I did, when mine asked me why I would even consider running 40 miles per week.  My foot problems are a neuroma (which I had 7 alcohol injections to kill the nerve,) and now a bunion.  I can't run much, but anything feels like I accomplished something.

• TooTenacious Rookie 7 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    661. Dec 11, 2007 1:44 PM (in response to christa0120)

Re: colon issues (sorry)Originally posted by happybarb:
    [B]Shelly.....my doc idea of solving the problem is not to run any more!!!

This type of crap (excuse the pun) so irritates me.  Barb-go to a doctor that runs.....they aren't so anxious to tell you not to run to solve the problem.  <br /><br />For anyone else interested....<br /><br /><a href="http://runningtimes.com/rt/articles/?id=12326" target="_blank">http://runningtimes.com/rt/articles/?id=12326[/URL" target="_blank"> <br /><br />Excellent article about "runner's trots."<br /><br />I see that one of the contributors to this lovely issue is heat-and I have noticed that I really haven't had the problem this fall since we have had cooler temps.  Yippee!!!!

I hope the article can sheds some light for those who suffer with this dreadful pitfall in running!!

Off and running...
    Jen

• browndogus Rookie 47 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    662. Dec 28, 2007 6:28 AM (in response to ShelleyM073)

Bump -

Hi Gang -

I just referred this thread to someone on the Beginner Triathlete board  - it's hard to believe that it is 45 pages long!  Thank you for continuing the thread.  It makes me feel better every time I visit.  If you happen to visit the BT board, please note that I am Mrs. brown_dog_us over there.  My DH was there first so he is the brown_dog_us.

I'm still having the poop problems, but have found that switching to soy milk, using immodium and a ban on fruit/fiber before a long run/race have helped me.  Also switched my prerace meal to steel-cut oats.  Yummy and binding and not bad made the night before.  : )  And, I now carry wet wipes in a zip-lock,  just in case.

WTPJ - and Shelley, good to see you still running.  I'm with you on the 4am patrol but have found some places (with potties) that I can run during the day, too.  Cheers and happy running.

Steph

• Redrunner4 Rookie 50 posts since
    Sep 27, 2007
    663. Dec 31, 2007 9:08 AM (in response to christa0120)

I am not sure if anyone else has posted this.  But once I cut magnesium supplements out of my diet, I stopped having this problem. 

It was really bad for me there for a while.  It's like night/day for me now. 

Dec 14, 2007
    664. Dec 31, 2007 1:42 PM (in response to Redrunner4)

Redrunner-That's interesting, I can see where magnesium would definitly be a cause.

I have been doing well (knock on wood.)

• wherestheportojohn Rookie 206 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    665. Dec 31, 2007 2:00 PM (in response to ShelleyM073)

thanks for the info

I've tried taking-not taking everything in my arsenal, without success.

But each idea shared here may help someone; so keep 'em comin'!

(I'll keep trying. OY!)

• pinklady071 Rookie 6 posts since
    Sep 10, 2007
    666. Jan 2, 2008 10:38 AM (in response to TooTenacious)

Thanks for the link to the article.

I was surprised by the advice against large doses of vitamins, especially Vitamin C -- does anyone know why vitamin C would cause a problem?

Also, someone mentioned magnesium.  I take a Calcium supplement with magnesium because x-rays have shown some demineralization of my bones, and as a runner my doctor said it is important to build strong bones.  Is it a magnesium supplement on its own that can cause a problem, or any vitamin with magnesium added?

Thanks,

pinklady

Dec 14, 2007
    667. Jan 4, 2008 11:10 AM (in response to pinklady071)

Vitamin C is very acidic and can cause your tummy to get upset (just like drinking a lot of OK).

I don't know anything about the magnesium or calcium.  Seems like calcium would not be the problem since calcium carbonate is the main ingredient in Tums/Maalox, etc.

• Redrunner4 Rookie 50 posts since
    Sep 27, 2007
    668. Jan 5, 2008 4:46 PM (in response to pinklady071)

Here is a link to an article about magnsium.  I was even taking small doses. 

But my power gels have some in it, my diet has some in it.  And appears in an effort to

keep my bones strong, I was taking toxic levels of it fo my body.  Now I will not take

any vitamin with magnesium in it. 

As soon as I stopped taking it, the problems stopped.  i was convinced that I had all

sorts of other problems.   

http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=nutrient&dbid=75

• Stephanie2 Rookie 50 posts since
    Jan 15, 2008
    669. Jan 25, 2008 12:18 PM (in response to christa0120)

I'm so glad to find this discussion, even though it is embarassing.  I can run 3-4 miles and be fine but when I started running 5 and 6 I have very severe need to go imediatly after and keep going several times in the next few hours. I'm just starting to train for a 1/2 marathon, not wanting to wear depends but sure don't want it running down my leg. Change in diet is everyones first advise, my friend suggest I take the sugar out of my diet?? 

Please keep the advise coming!

Stephanie2

• runningtrotter Rookie 3 posts since
    Mar 25, 2008
    670. Mar 27, 2008 7:20 AM (in response to Stephanie2)

I'm a D1 runner who has the same problems !! It started once I got to college and I'm a much worse runner because of it. Though my coach and team know that I have problems, and my team is even nice enough to stop for my bathroom breaks, they don't understand how painful the stomach aches and actually going are, and how draining it is.  I'm the the runner I used to be nor should be, I've considered quitting and running on my own, but I love running so much. Now my coach kind of views me as a waste of time. It's a really diffucult decision. Anyone here in the same boat?

• wherestheportojohn Rookie 206 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    671. Mar 27, 2008 8:35 AM (in response to runningtrotter)

{{RT}}

Hope you can find a solution to your issues. Perhaps a visit to your school's sports psychologist....you may be having stress issues due to the level of training and/or competition?? What year are you? In which event[s] do you compete?

And I hope your coach GROWS UP....you are not a 'waste of time'...you are a human who needs to find answers!

fwiw, I only run alone/in the dark/or on the TM....but I'm just a recreational jogger, NOT a D1 athlete!!

best of luck

Dec 14, 2007
    672. Mar 27, 2008 4:21 PM (in response to wherestheportojohn)

Wow, your coach really sounds like a jerk.  I 2nd Porta's opinion on going to the dr.

Hope everyone is "under control!"  I am unable to run anymore, but not because of the trots.  My foot is back to hurting, so now I walk.  Colon problems don't arise for me anymore (knock on wood.)

Shelley

• runningtrotter Rookie 3 posts since
    Mar 25, 2008
    673. Mar 28, 2008 3:43 PM (in response to ShelleyM073)

I run the mile and cross country, but I want to get into steeple chase, it looks like so much fun. And for my coach, college athletics is more like a business, and I'm certainly not helping it! I have a nutrionist and G.I. appointment coming up, but seeing a psych is probably a good idea too. And whether your running competatively or recreationally, its the same thing... when you got to go, you really have to go! Good luck with running everyone! Oh and Ill be on this board a lot, it's good to see that there are other people running with the runs too!

Dec 14, 2007
    674. Apr 27, 2008 11:32 AM (in response to runningtrotter)

RT -

DH and I think that some of my problems are anxiety-related also.  The sports psych might really help. 

Also, I'm also currently trying an immodium the night before a race/long run and another immediately after my pre-run meal (2 hrs before activity) which is always oatmeal.  That doesn't keep me from going before my run, but seems to help for during the activity.  I don't know if this is a controlled medication for you, though, so check with your nutritionist and coach.  Go slow with the immodium, though (start with a 1/2), you don't want to constipate yourself.

Hugs,

Steph

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...