Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

53373 Views 330 Replies Latest reply: Feb 2, 2011 11:56 AM by Goterps007 RSS Go to original post 1 2 3 4 ... 23 Previous Next
  • kkressenberg Rookie 1 posts since
    Mar 7, 2006
    Currently Being Moderated
    15. Mar 7, 2006 2:31 PM (in response to skypenny)
    Re: Coming Back after ACL Surgery ?

I tore my ACL in a farm accident (OK, got run over by a cow). and had an autograft (patellar) and medial menisectomy 10/06/2005. Also had some MCL tears but no repair there.

My surgeon was a little cautious, and frankly I didn't feel like running for months, though I did well in PT, got full range of motion quickly, and enjoyed low-impact stuff like exercycle.

I also had some staples to fix graft that had to later come out.

Anyway, today I'm running 4 miles 3 or 4 times a week and hiking on other days, and just started adding big hills. It feels pretty good, but hard to say how much of soreness/stiffness is due to knee vs just out of shape.

The main thing is there is definitely "noise" and a feeling of "stuff" in there that is new. To someone else's point who posted - it's not a "normal" knee anymore. PS, I just turned 51 in Jan.

But my OS says this is OK, may diminish over time, and even with no meniscus he doesn't recommend any reduction or change in activities. He says getting arthritis involves a host of other variables they don't fully understand.

• gplsoccer Rookie 1 posts since
    Mar 8, 2006
    17. Mar 8, 2006 12:50 PM (in response to skypenny)

Hi,
    I see you've received a lot of responses. I hope this has helped. I figured I'd join in. I had ACL surgery back in 99, with scar tissue removal in 2001. I never ran a marathon until AFTER my surgery. Do not be afraid to log the miles. What you do need to be most careful of is keeping that leg strong, and flexible. Those are the most important. Also, pay attention to the areas you now lack because of the surgery. We all know nothing is quite like it used to be. For example, my hip flexor on the affected side tends to be really tight, so I have to make certain to keep it extra stretched. Good luck. You'll be back.

gplsoccer

• marycrow Rookie 4 posts since
    Mar 14, 2006
    18. Mar 14, 2006 2:07 PM (in response to skypenny)

Greetings runners--

I'm new to this forum, but am writing about my pending ACL reconstruction. I was hit by a car 4 weeks ago, lucky I guess that the ACL tear (and MCL sprain) is the worst of it, however I finally BQed and was raring to go. For a while I was optimistic that I could still run Boston, but my knee is very unstable and a few times when it has "given out" while running, it has really hurt. So I don't think 26 miles is a good idea.

Which makes me want to get the surgery soon so that I can be ready for next year. I just don't know whether to go with a patella or hamstring graft. Thoughts? Also, how quickly after the surgery are you at least mobile and able to go to work. I live in NYC, and have to be able to get on the subway.

Thanks for any insights!

• drojewski Rookie 54 posts since
    Dec 5, 2007
    20. Mar 16, 2006 3:50 PM (in response to skypenny)

Hi Marycrow!

I just had ACL surgery December 21. I had a cadaver ligiment put in instead of the Hamstring or Patella tendon. The surgery went well, I was off the pain medication in 2 days. I was back to work 5 days after my surgery and getting around as good as you can on crutches. 7 days after the surgery my doctor said I could start weaning off the cructches. By that night I was motoring around without cructches! I started PT Jan 4, 3 times a week. Within 2 weeks they put me on the bike. Once I got the clearence to ride the bike I was off to the gym. Just so that you know I have had a remarkable recovery! Within 5 weeks of my surgery my doctor had me on the treadmill and running again! It wasn't alot, actually just a tease but it felt so good to run again. I am now 12 weeks post surgery and up to running 5 miles again. So, I would look into the cadaver option. I have not regretted it one bit and found that I have recovered much faster, than the old traditional way. I still go to PT 2 days a week until the end of the month. Look at all of your options. After my surgery I focused on getting to PT. I have taken PT very seriously and did the exercises they asked me to do at home. This was my only form of exercise after my surgery and I looked forward to my PT days! Also, prior to my surgery I was in the best shape I have ever been in and I really think that helped for a fast recovery. If you need support or have any other questions I would be glad to help you out! Good luck with your surgery.

• janel25 Rookie 19 posts since
    Dec 18, 2005
    21. Mar 20, 2006 6:02 AM (in response to skypenny)

You are all amazing.  I tore my Cartlidge October 04 only to discover after the MRI that I had a ruptured ACL from an old netball injury.  Knee was always a little bit unstable but no problems til the torn Cartlidge.  Had surgery on the cartlidge but the chicken in my opted not to have the reconstruction.  Due to a young family, A shift work husband and no family support.  I have been running since July 05 no problems with the knee at all.  I am not good at lateral movement srequired for basketball etc.  But no having this operation has not affected anything else I do.  I am training for my first HM as when I was laid up with the bad leg all I wanted to was run and have set my self this challenge for July 06 Gold Coast Marathon Australia.  I admire all of you that have had the rescontruction and returned to running. 

cheers

Janelle

Mar 14, 2006
    22. Mar 29, 2006 4:22 PM (in response to skypenny)

Thank you all for the helpful responses. There isn't much out there for runners with ACL tears. As my OS said, it's not a runner's injury.

It sounds like you were all relatively pleased with your choices. Janelle, I so wish I could just skip the operationI could live the rest of my life without skiingbut for whatever reason (probably meniscus damage, which has now been diagnosed as well), my knee is unstable--and unpredictable. I ran the Brooklyn 1/2 marathon 2 weeks ago (20 minutes slower than last year) and had no problem (except my other leg hurts, I'm sure from over-compensating for the ginger treatment I give the ACL-less one). And then, I'll be strolling along and walk off a curb and practically fall into the street. And when it gives out it hurts like hell, and of course it does more damage.

I'm still deciding between hamstring and allograft. I want to recover as fast as possible (while I'm 46 and age works against me, I'm in better shape than I was at 26 so I'm hoping that works for me), though I think the PT is pretty prescriptive. I thought the reason you couldn't run for 3 months was because the graft needed to, well, graft, more than the pain getting in the way? It's encouraging to hear about running in 2 months. How long are you in the brace?

• drojewski Rookie 54 posts since
    Dec 5, 2007
    24. Mar 30, 2006 11:30 AM (in response to skypenny)

Hi SkyPenny!!!!

Sounds like you're feeling great!!! Awesome!!! I'm feeling great also, and today was my last day of PT (Kinda sad, I'm going to miss them). I'm running well and you said it right. I too am running stronger than before and it's only been 3 months. I ran 6 strong miles this morning. I'm so glad I had the surgery now. I still have some soreness but, it's very tolerable. Do you have any races planned?

MaryCrow,  if you need support or help answering questions we are always here! I would seriously consider the surgery. I can't believe how stable and strong my knee feels now. My PT's were wonderful people too. They taught me some very helpful things while I was there, that I know I will continue to use.

• first timer2005 Rookie 15 posts since
    May 21, 2005
    25. Apr 2, 2006 12:23 AM (in response to skypenny)

Hey skypenny, one thing that I have started doing was incorporate cycling into my workout routine.  It's helping with my endurance without all the jarring movements from running.  I can feel an improvement in my leg strength.  One leg is still stronger than the other, but hopefully they'll start to equaly out soon.

• janel25 Rookie 19 posts since
    Dec 18, 2005
    26. Apr 2, 2006 5:42 AM (in response to skypenny)

marycrow - Hi goodluck with the surgery I am 39 and like yourself now in better shape than I was at 26 too.  Good luck with your decision most people seem to have the op and I must say my surgeon and most of my friends thought I was mad not to go ahead with it but my PT was very supportive and said the choice was mine and if I was prepared to not have the lateral movements I once did then no prob  I live in Australia and skiing is not high on my agenda so the decision I made suited me.  From all the wonderful positive responses to this thread it seems that people make great recoveries and are back into running better than ever.  Maybe the time being unable to run increases your love and perspective of the freedom running brings.  Good Luck with your decision and please keep me posted.

Janelle

Mar 14, 2006
    27. Apr 3, 2006 1:45 PM (in response to skypenny)

Thank you so much for these inspirational messages! Check in after 4/26 when my surgery is scheduled. Fortunately, I have a laptop and wireless, so I'll be online a lot! Happy spring running folks....

• HStreet Rookie 2 posts since
    Apr 30, 2006
    29. Apr 30, 2006 5:34 PM (in response to skypenny)

I just found this forum.  My son has been sidelined with an IT Band problem since last August.  He is a cross country/track recruit for the college he will attend in the fall, so this has been pretty upsetting for him.  He has done everything possible to treat the IT Band and has gotten only temporary relief.  He has seen every good sports medicine professional within hours of where he goes to school.  The recent decision is that an ACL tear 6 years ago may be causing enough instability to prevent the IT Band from functioning properly. I think he is about to have the ACL reconstruction.  I have read all your posts and now have a better idea of what he can expect during the recovery/rehab.  Has anyone else had IT Band problems as a result of the ACL tear?  It is hard to get information specific to runners when it comes to ACL issues-  lots on IT Band, but not on ACL. 
    Thanks a lot.

1 2 3 4 ... 23 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...