Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

58601 Views 330 Replies Latest reply: Feb 2, 2011 11:56 AM by Goterps007 Go to original post 1 ... 17 18 19 20 21 ... 23 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    271. Oct 15, 2007 3:54 PM (in response to skypenny)
    Re: Coming Back after ACL Surgery ?

Thanks Penny, I had my 4th session today, they said i got to about 90 degree's today (while they were cranking while i was on the table)  it so little by little. They also started trying the ultrasound where i was complaining about the knot. They picked up the CPM today, so it's up to me to keep it up. The PT said long as i was improving, not going back to not be so concerned.

I appreciate your encouragment!
    DL

272. Dec 21, 2007 11:34 AM (in response to skypenny)

A question to everyone who has had ACL surgery?  I ruptured my ACL two weeks ago playing soccer and I'm trying to make the best decision regarding which type of reconstruction option to choose.  Like many of you, I want to (have to, actually) get back to participating in my sport, so I am curious what your experiences have been with each type of surgery (patella, hamstring, cadavear)?  What do you recommend?  There is so much conflicting info. out there on which is the best approach. I'm 38 and a male.  Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.  Many thanks! 

quote:

Originally posted by skypenny:

Who out there there has had ACL replacement and gone back to running ? (I used to run a lot.) Surgery was last May - ham graft, medial meniscus repair and partial lateral menisectomy. Reinjured MCL in Sept. from coming back too fast. Now I am back on treadmill again (walk/run - short increments.) I do lots of PT and lots of cross training so still quite strong and in OK shape. But I need some encouragement - or else a reality check. Would like to get back to double digit runs on the weekends and my annual marathon. PT thinks bad idea. I have not really run any serious miles since my injury last February.(Also, I am kind of scared to run outside because I might fall and rip my leg up again....) What's your story ?

----

[http://This message has been edited by Karl Markeset (edited Oct-29-2007).|http://This message has been edited by Karl Markeset (edited Oct-29-2007).]

273. Oct 30, 2007 8:06 PM (in response to skypenny)

quote:

Originally posted by Karl Markeset:

A question to everyone who has had ACL surgery? I ruptured my ACL two weeks ago playing soccer and I'm trying to make the best decision regarding which type of reconstruction option to choose. Like many of you, I want to (have to, actually) get back to participating in my sport, so I am curious what your experiences have been with each type of surgery (patella, hamstring, cadavear)? What do you recommend? There is so much conflicting info. out there on which is the best approach. I'm 38 and a male. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks!

Sorry to hear that Karl. I also tore mine in Soccer,Im 39. I am 4 weeks post op from a PT graft,.I would say to return to soccer PT is going to be top choice. Look at what most professional's have. Having said that my co woker had a cadaver in the same week and his rehab has been much smoother. If you want to ride a desk and quit soccer then maybe cadaver is a better choice ( plus increased cost for the donor) . What does your OS recommend ?
    Good luck in your decision,

• Gman059 Rookie 3 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    Currently Being Moderated
    274. Nov 4, 2007 7:42 PM (in response to skypenny)

Six months and six day post surgery - first half marathon.  Not fast, but I know I'm back!

Good luck to all of you who have gone through the same.

275. Nov 6, 2007 4:53 PM (in response to skypenny)

Well - based on everything I have read and heard I pretty much told my doctor, I want the PT graft because I want to be able to play soccer again.  He pretty much said OK.  Didn't really challenge me much, which makes me wonder. Ya I heard the cadaver graft is easier in terms of rehab.  Anyway, thanks for your response.  I hope your rehab is going well. By the way how long were you on crutches after the surgery. I am trying to determine if I can travel on a plane internationally 22 days after surgery - doctor advises against this though.
    Thanks, K.

quote:

Originally posted by dl7265:

Sorry to hear that Karl. I also tore mine in Soccer,Im 39. I am 4 weeks post op from a PT graft,.I would say to return to soccer PT is going to be top choice. Look at what most professional's have. Having said that my co woker had a cadaver in the same week and his rehab has been much smoother. If you want to ride a desk and quit soccer then maybe cadaver is a better choice ( plus increased cost for the donor) . What does your OS recommend ?
    Good luck in your decision,

• 1cor1613 Rookie 18 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    276. Nov 12, 2007 9:27 AM (in response to skypenny)

I'll post a race report in the appropriate thread later, but I just wanted to let my fellow "wounded soldiers" know that I just completed my first marathon post ACL replacement(s).

I was able to achieve all of my race objectives (time, negative split, race the last 10K, have fun) and had NO PAIN in either of my knees.

My thanks to all of you on this thread who encouraged me with your testimonies.  You have been an inspiration to me and I thank God for the blessing that Skypenny gave us with this forum topic.

277. Nov 28, 2007 8:58 PM (in response to skypenny)

Hey. I tore my ACL and MCL this past summer playing soccer with some family. I'm a varsity college cross country and track (10k) runner, but obviously missed this past cross country season. Tomorrow will be 4.5 months since my surgery and as long as the brace comes in I should be able to start running again. Any tips on how to increase the mileage safely but not too slowly? or even a starting point? I go to school in a pretty hilly area so the treadmill might be best to start off with, but I'm not too sure. Before I tore up my knee I was averaging between 50-60 miles a week and getting ready to bump up to 60-70 miles a week. I had a hamstring graft. Any tips would be great. I have enjoyed reading this thread and found it helpful. Thanks!

278. Nov 30, 2007 7:31 PM (in response to skypenny)

Help!  Had ACL replaced (cadaver) 8 months ago and meniscus repair.  Felt really good, working out regularly, elliptical, strength training, walking, short jogs.  Did something stupid- ran a Turkey Trot race on Thanksgiving day- only 5 miles- just to prove to myself that I could do it.  Lots of aches and pains all over my body- not use to running- but now just KNEE pain- right under my scar.  Knee feels weak and buckles sometimes now.  Using Ibuprofen to manage the pain- feel almost good as new until that wears off.  What have I done to myself?  Any suggestions- icing and elevating when I can.

279. Dec 10, 2007 8:26 AM (in response to skypenny)

tntfinn, how is the knee pain now?  did you end up getting it checked out by your doctor?  I also tore my ACL (on 9/10) and had surgery using cadaver (on 10/12).  Its 8 weeks now and my doc advised me not to job till about 12 weeks postop.  how long did it take for you knee to stop feeling stiff?  I currently walk about 2 miles everyday (for work) and my knee feels stiff, doesn't hurt just stiff.

• Bronx-Dave Rookie 11 posts since
    Jan 29, 2008
    280. Jan 29, 2008 11:04 AM (in response to Guest )

I have ACL surgery on my right knee a week from today (on Tue-Feb-05). ACL allograft (from a cadaver) and also some miniscectomy (forget from which miniscus, I think medial). I've been a little freaked the past few days, just trying to figure out what to expect. I just spent the morning reading the ENTIRE ACL thread. This is such a great resource. It really lets you see ACL rehab progress from so many different points of view and from different voices.

My right knee's been pretty crappy most of my life (I'm 32). I injured it on Dec 1st of last year, playing touch football (just landed weird on my foot, and CRUNCH). Complete tear of the ACL. I'm pretty bummed because I was planning on running the Bronx half-marathon in Feb. Before the past year or so, I'd never really been into running that much, so it's new to me. My doctor said my running had little if nothing to do with the ACL injury.

My goals are: 1) to run the Bronx half NEXT February 2) be in workable condition for my summer vacation to Cape Cod in July -- nothing major, just being able to bike, run in the surf, eat lobsters, ect. 3) do some major hiking by late summer and 4) be able to play football again by late fall.

Has anyone had experience with returning from ACL  and playing pickup football?

I've been doing pre-op PT since early December, going to the gym periodically (trying not to push my knee to hard though).

Am VERY MUCH looking forward to getting this puppy on the road -- the waiting has been awful.

• lmonsees Rookie 6 posts since
    Feb 12, 2004
    281. Jan 29, 2008 6:39 PM (in response to Bronx-Dave)

Hi Dave,

I don't have ACL experience with playing flag football but I play soccer, ski/snowboard, racquetball, etc and run regularly.

I'm a 30 year old, athletic and active female. I had ACL recon (hamstring) on my right knee in Sept. '06 along w/ partial lateral meniscus removal and medial meniscus repair. I then went back for a 2nd surgery Jan. '07 for arthoscopy scar tissue removal. While I can tell you my recovery was less than desirable with all my scar tissue issues (not normal - my body we found out just happens to produce a lot of scar tissue), I am well on my way to recovery. Up to running 4-5 times a week 25-30 miles a week, on my way to pre-surgery mileage and pre-surgery pace and also back to doing everything I was doing pre-surgery. My knee is still not quite back to normal, I'm stilling work on getting my full ROM back (just a little left), and building my hamstring strength back however in the end it was definitely worth it. As I'm sure you know... without the surgery it will be hard to resume flag football again as you'll always be paranoid...

Post surgery hang in there. I had a few down moments but throughout my recovery I maintained as much as my normal exercise level that I could. I listened to my ortho and PT but went all out on the stationary bike (biked on vacation) and whatever else they would allow me to do to maintain my fitness level.

Hang in there with your recovery as it is definitely not always fun... and good luck!

• Bronx-Dave Rookie 11 posts since
    Jan 29, 2008
    282. Jan 29, 2008 7:56 PM (in response to lmonsees)

Thanks dskier -- I know I've heard people say it before (about being able to return to FULL activity), but it's always reassuring to hear it said just one more time.

Now I just have to wait for the ride ... t-minus 6 days.

• marycrow Rookie 4 posts since
    Mar 14, 2006
    283. Jan 29, 2008 8:02 PM (in response to Bronx-Dave)

HiI tore my ACL and partly tore lateral meniscus 2 years ago. I was hit by a car while training for the Boston Marathon. Had surgery (cadaver replacementthey tried to use the hamstring but it was too narrow) the week of the marathon. I didn't find the surgery or PT too bad. The pain was not bad at all (thanks to the stuff they shot into the leg while I was out). I only needed one painkiller, and then switched to Tylenol. Nor was the PT too hardI regained ROM pretty quickly. THe hard part was not runningI walked all the time, even with the brace. But the result was that I ran Boston in 07, with a PR! The less good news is that I overcompensated with my good knee, and now have pretty bad osteoarthritis in it. I'm sure this is all related, and it's a bummer. But, try to be patient and you'll get back--and hopefully the patience will stop you from overdoing it until you have full use.

Good luck!

• Vintagerunner Rookie 11 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    284. Jan 30, 2008 9:57 AM (in response to Bronx-Dave)

Hi Bronx, listen to PT trainers and it all works out I had my ACL repaired att 44 in 1994 and still running, fixed it with one third of my patella tendon. Fixed 1-18-94, walking on rds. 2-15-04, lite running on treadmill under Pt supervison 2-18-04.

Did the cororate cup 9-18-04, 10k at Mahoney Stare Park

10-8-04, and 10k at omaha Riverfront Marathon 11-6-04, so if you follow the trainers rules you can make a complete recovery, I hurt my knee playing basketball and that next winter was back playing full court with out problems even though my wife would rather I dont play sports.  That fall in 1994 I also was back to playing flag football but was carefull and seemed to have lost a step but was getting older to so who knows. My brother blew his out playing college football and did not have it fixed and is looking at possible knee repacement 30 years later, have it fixed you will not regret it Good luck.

1 ... 17 18 19 20 21 ... 23 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...