Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

56044 Views 330 Replies Latest reply: Feb 2, 2011 11:56 AM by Goterps007 RSS Go to original post 1 ... 18 19 20 21 22 23 Previous Next
  • chavez333 Rookie 6 posts since
    Sep 1, 2007
    Currently Being Moderated
    285. Feb 3, 2008 10:17 PM (in response to skypenny)
    Re: Coming Back after ACL Surgery ?

dear skypenny,

you posted this a long time ago, but I'm really curious to how your doing know. I'm four months into the recovery of my acl/meniscus surgery and I've spent over an hour reading all these inspirational stories. It's helped me aton, just to know there are other people going through the same thing with me.

I hope all is well.

• skynickel Rookie 5 posts since
    Feb 5, 2008
    286. Feb 5, 2008 10:37 AM (in response to chavez333)

Hi chavez 333.  It's me - Skypenny.  I was unable to get back into this site after they changed it - so I finally just adopted a new name - Skynickel- but it's me. It will be 3 years this Feb. since I first severed my ACL, MCL and all my medial meniscus skiing.   I had meniscus repair (microfracture surgey) in adition to ACL.  As you know from the thread, I fought hard to come back - maybe I pushed too hard - but it is hard to know! I am definitley back, but in a different place.  I skied on my hamstring grafted knee for the first time last month and it was GREAT.  (I coudl have skiied last year but conditions were not good and I was chicken).  I had a series of running injuries that sidelined me on and off for months since I started to come back.   I will never know if these were related to the injury or if the cause was somethign else.  But after the last weeks long lay-off, I I finally let go of any big miles and am really enjoying running 3 - 6 miles about 3 or 4 days a week.  This is how I started as a runner 30 years ago. Sometimes I don't even wear a watch.  I was never fast anyway.  I am in overall better shape now than when I was "just" a runner, but  I don't thave the same endurance that only big miles can give you. And I really do miss the distance. Maybe someday ... But now  I am taking it slow - obeying the 10% rule and not being hooked on how far, but focused instead on how great it is to be healthy and have no pain when I run, ski, swim, lift etc.  I am really glad I did not choose to "live with" the injury.  LIfe is great. I learned patience.  Thanks for asking.

• Bronx-Dave Rookie 11 posts since
    Jan 29, 2008
    287. Feb 6, 2008 5:56 AM (in response to skynickel)

Hey all. I had my ACL surgery yesterday. Last night sucked my bum -- way more painful than I thought it was going to be. I hope I'm past the worst of it though. Been using the ice machine .. use the CPM machine for the first time today. Oh, and we don't have a bathroom on the 1st floor of our house -- so I've been navigating the stairs pretty well already.

My wife's been great.

My dog's confused and the ice-machine thing scares her.

• russhater Rookie 7 posts since
    Feb 8, 2008
    288. Feb 8, 2008 7:55 PM (in response to skypenny)

This site rocks!  I ran my first marathon in October and was instantly hooked on running.  However, in January I tore my ACL in a basketball game.  Of course I was not dunking the basketball in an overtime game with seconds to go in the league championship, rather I lightly jumped up for a pass in a stupid intramural game and landed awkwardly.  So, long story short, I had ACL recon 8 days ago using my own patellar tendon graft and had some meniscus repair.  The pain is not as bad as I would have thought, but the thing that is killing me is I am still feeling somewhat dizzy and spaced out.  I stopped taking my pain medication 4 days ago in hopes of clearing my head, but so far, it really hasn't helped much.  Sky, I read that you felt pretty messed up for a while after the general anesthesia during your surgery.  Did you do anything special to get that bad voodoo out of your system?  How log did it take to clear everything out until you felt normal again?  I would love to go for a jog to clear my brain...if only.  Maybe in a few months.  Also, not knowing if my meniscus is going to heal (my OS gave me 60%-80% chance of it healing), is it possible to train for and run a marathon on less than a full meniscus?  Once again, thanks for all of your input.  It has really helped to motivate and raise my spirits.

Jan 29, 2008
    289. Feb 8, 2008 8:21 PM (in response to russhater)

Hey russhater, I'm 5 days behind you. Had my surgery 3 days ago now -- I get to take my bandages off tomorrow. I had ACL recon. from a cadaver, and a partial meniscectomy. I was warned about loss of appetite and/or nausea after coming out of anesthesia -- no problem for me. I had a meatball parm sub 2 hrs after surgery 

I was told to do the CPM machine 3hrs, twice a day -- but I can't stand doing that for more than 3 hrs... so I've been doing it for 2hrs, three times a day. I'm up to 60 deg flexion. Also, today I realized that I had my crutches set up wrong, the hand holds were too low down -- I moved 'em up a notch and things got WAY easier.

As I said, pain the first night was REALL bad -- but has waned since then. I've been off the percocet since last night -- switched to 3 advils at a time.

Russhater -- good luck on your recovery. Interested to watch your recovery along with my own.

• briamarie22 Rookie 7 posts since
    Feb 11, 2008
    290. Feb 11, 2008 6:31 PM (in response to skypenny)

Hi everyone, I posted in this thread back in May when my tear was diagnosed. I had ACL reconstruction on Dec 19/2007 (hamstring autograph), so this Wednesday marks my 8 week post-op anniversary. I am so anxious to get back running. I'm a first year law student and just did my first moot court (mock trial) last week, all I wanted to do after was run off the adrenaline! But nope, went home and ate instead. Subsituting food for exercise as a stress relief mechanism is taking its tole! haha Right now I am still going to PT 3X week, and to the gym 2 days a week on top of that (intervals on the bike + upper body weights/abs). 

I go to school out of province and so I have been referred to an OS here for follow up. According to this surgeon's post-op protocol "light jogging" for 10 minutes can be started after 8 weeks.. I'm meeting with her tomorrow so I will see if I get the nod!!

My knee has been feeling pretty good, overall. Definitely much better than it did before surgery. My knee problems date back to a fateful soccer game in summer of 2004, so I had learned to live with a certain amount of knee pain and instability. It is awesome to be able to do half squats with a stable knee!! I hadn't done a squat in years before this PT! haha I have almost my full range of motion back, and my quad is slowly but surely coming back to life. I'm still wearing my brace whenever I leave the house. When was everyone here allowed to ditch the brace?? Doesn't do much for my social life but I recognize its importance. The last thing I want to ever do is go through this again.

I hope everyone is doing well.

Jan 29, 2008
    291. Feb 12, 2008 5:47 AM (in response to briamarie22)

Good luck on your recovery briamaire. The brace cutting into your social-life huh? GOod thing I'm married ... thus have no social life. 

I just had my first P.T. yesterday. Went well. I actually ended up getting a bit of the flu the weekend after my surgery. Let me tell you, ACL Post-OP plus bad head cold really SUCKS. I'm off the ice-machine and am getting ready to be done with the CPM machine in the next day or so. I'm ITCHING to go out for a long walk (on crutches of course) -- but it's a little too icy out there for my tastes.

HOpe everyone's recoverying well. 

Feb 11, 2008
    292. Feb 12, 2008 11:51 AM (in response to Bronx-Dave)

I had great news this afternoon guys! The OS said I am allowed to start jogging!!! Weehoo!! I am also allowed to wear heels, use the leg extension machine at the gym, walk as much as I want, and start weaning my knee off the brace. I live in eastern canada, so we've got quite a bit of slush and snow.. she said if the roads are good, don't need to wear the brace. She said to just take it day by day. She said my graft feels strong and my doctor did a great job.

Just thought I would share some good news!

• NSM08 Rookie 1 posts since
    Feb 12, 2008
    293. Feb 12, 2008 12:17 PM (in response to skypenny)

I tore my acl, mcl and slight tear to the meniscus back in Feb 2001 while skiing.  Had surgery and pt.   I ran a marathon in 2003....Just got back skiing in Tahoe.  Knee feels great.

Feb 8, 2008
    294. Feb 12, 2008 1:50 PM (in response to Bronx-Dave)

I have had thee PT sessions thus far and I am itching to get on the bike.  I am 11 days postop with a PT autograph and I have gotten my knee to 120 on the Biodex, but only to 105 on my own.  I need 110 degrees before my therapist gives me the OK to jump on the stationary bike.  I am still having problems sleeping, but I am totally off pain medication with the exception of a Tylenol hear and there.  I am on one crutch, but I think I could ditch it if I wanted to...around the house I hobble instead of use the stupid crutch.  Maybe this week sometime.

I think it is amazing how everybody has different techniques depending on the doctor.  I have heard of wearing huge braces for weeks and CPM machines  for 20 hours a day and ice machines.  My OS gave me a brace to wear for 1 day, no CPM machine, no ice machine, and PT 3 days after surgery, and told me to ditch the crutches at the 6 day post op.  He doesn't beleive in braces and told me not to waste my money buying a custom brace and to just use a ziplock bag of ice when needed.  I wonder why there isn't a strict regimen that everyone follows and if there is one way that is better than the rest or if they are all equally good.

The thing that I am learning quickly is that this will be a long road back, but I am starting to understand the importance of recognizing your tiny improvements, as small as they may be.  Just doing a simple leg extension 2 days ago killed, but today I was able to do it pretty easily.  Even though it isn't a big deal, I think that it motivates me when I see myself move in the direction of being fully recovered.  As long as I can say I am moving forward, bring on the pain!  I can't wait to report in this forum that I ran my first marathon after this ACL experience...that will be sweet!

Jan 29, 2008
    295. Feb 22, 2008 11:56 AM (in response to russhater)

Hello all.

I'm now 15 days post-op (right knee ACL allograf, partial medial meniscuscetomy). Had my first post-op doctor appt 2 days ago. Dr said everything looked good. Everything's aligned correctly, and he told me to ditch my crutches. Actually, he told me I don't even need my brace when just walking around at home -- but to be careful (of course). Even better -- I could now shower normally and I don't have to sleep with the brace on anymore -- which is very uncomfortable. Doc says he's ordering me a smaller, more agile ACL brace -- the one I have now is large, bulky -- and dangit if I can't get it to stay on right without slipping some when I walk.

So yesterday was my first day walking on my own and also my first day back to work -- which means commutting into Manhattan. I was psyched to be back. I'm back home again today though -- big snow storm here in NYC.

I don't quite have full extension (a few degrees left) and my flexion is past 90deg, but not quite 100deg. Doc says I have to work on those. There's no straight-out PAIN -- just lots of pretty good soreness. I'm glad to be at least USING the leg and I can't wait to start working it some more -- it's all mushy .. blech.

Hope everyone else out there is healing up ok.

Feb 11, 2008
    296. Feb 29, 2008 10:37 AM (in response to skypenny)

I jogged for the first time today! 10 weeks, 2 days, post-op. Felt pretty weird. I only did 5 x 1 minute intervals @ 4.5mph, but it's a start. My surgeon had given me clearance to jog at 8 weeks, but physio was a little more hesitant, so we waited a couple of weeks. Physio says ligament wise my knee is now quite strong and it is a matter of building strength and confidence in the knee.

My knee was hurting on the outside and at the top of my tibia. PT said this was okay- IT band and something about "torsion"? She told me I can do the jogging increments at the gym on the treadmill and maybe try a lap around the track if I'm feeling up to it. I think I'll stick to the Tmill though, because that is what my surgeon suggested.

Boy oh boy, it's going to be a lonnnggg road back to normal running.

Jan 29, 2008
    297. Feb 29, 2008 11:18 AM (in response to briamarie22)

Congrats Bria..

I won't pretend like I'm not jealous ... ahhh ... to jog. I'm 3 weeks, 3 days post-op, and I'm just to the point where I can comfortably ride the recumbent bike for any extended period of time. Good luck with your running.

Jan 29, 2008
    298. Mar 5, 2008 11:18 AM (in response to skynickel)

1 Month down....

I had my ACL recon. 1 month ago today. The knee's on the up-and-up. I swear, even a month out, there's hardly any major scarring or anything, you can almost hardly notice -- not that I was in line for a major knee-modeling contract before hand anyway. But the healing has been coming along pretty nicely, without much pain -- though with LOTS of soreness (different than pain).

My P.T. said he liked how things were looking today. He has me walking on the treadmill,  1 to 1-1/2 MPH backwards, then side-stepping, and going pretty smoothly on the bike. I can actually work up a sweat at the gym now. My flexion is at 110 (only 95 a week ago), and I have 1 more degree to go on my extension to bring it straight actively (passively it can be pushed all the way).

I got upgraded to a better brace -- one that was a bit smaller/sleeker. They say I can use it for sports later down the road -- but I can't, for the life of me, imagine doing anything active with this thing on. Does anyone have a brace that they've used for sports that is actually not annoying to wear?

Anyway, hope everyone is healing up ok.

Feb 8, 2008
    299. Mar 5, 2008 2:37 PM (in response to Bronx-Dave)

bronx...sounds like things are going well for you.  It is cool to see how the other side fairs...You had a allograft, right?  Tomorrow will be 5 weeks since my patellar tendon autograft recon, and I honestly could not ask for a better recovery.  I don't mean to sound boastful, because I know that there are people that struggle with the recovery, but for me it has been fairly steady and much less painful than I was expecting.  My PT has been dropped to once a week, which I take as a sign that things are going very well.  I am 10 degrees away from full flexion, and have full extension.  I can walk at a brisk pace now with very little gimp, can ride a bike, even play golf if the snow would ever melt.  I have lost 1 and 3/4 inches in my quad though (1/2 inch since surgery), so I still have a lot of work getting it back.  Is your repaired leg shrinking like crazy too?   Having had the PT graft, I am sure I lost all future knee modeling work as well.

One thing that was kind of a downer; I was expecting to be able to run at 9 weeks.  Well, since I had a meniscal repair as well with my ACL recon, running has been postponed to 3 months, which I don't understand very well.  I was told that the meniscus would take 4-6 weeks to heal.  If it is healed at 6 weeks, why do I have to wait another month after it is healed before I can try it out on a nice slow jog?  Seems to me that once it is healed, I should be able to stress it, right?  Does anyone have any advice on how to tell if it is healing without doing anything stupid?  Not knowing is torture.

By the way, my OS is a strong disbeliever in braces, so there won't be one in my future, so I can't help you on your brace question. 

Anyway, I should be stretching now, right?  I'll check in later.  Good luck everyone.

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...