Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

56692 Views 330 Replies Latest reply: Feb 2, 2011 11:56 AM by Goterps007 RSS Go to original post 1 ... 19 20 21 22 23 Previous Next
  • ssjd Rookie 2 posts since
    Jun 21, 2008
    Currently Being Moderated
    315. Jul 1, 2008 8:19 PM (in response to chavez333)
    Re: Coming Back after ACL Surgery ?

thank you so much for your reply! it really helps to know that others are going thru the same thing cuz a lot of people just don't get it, and i can't blame them, but it's tough putting on a happy face for people when they ask everyday how you're doing and all you really wanna do is yell and say horrible! this site really is comforting...thanks again...

• trbrown Rookie 3 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    316. Jul 14, 2008 1:22 PM (in response to skypenny)

I am 14 weeks post ACL surgery. I had a complete tear with no other problems. I have followed a strict PT schedule for 12 wks that included swimming, biking, and eliptical. I started running 12wks post op currently up to 25 slow minutes on the treadmill. At what point can I take my running outside and when can I change from "running for therapy" to "running for fitness"? I don't want to go up too quickly; at the same time I want to push myself to get back to where I used to be. Which was about 3x a week with a long run around 10 miles. Thanks for any advice!

• skynickel Rookie 5 posts since
    Feb 5, 2008
    317. Jul 14, 2008 1:41 PM (in response to chavez333)

This is skypenny, originator of this post and now  3 years post- op ACL. The last few comments have been amazing - I agree and want to re-emphasize  -take your time; take baby steps; have faith in yourself.  Appreciate being forced to slow down (understatement.) .  You will look back at this as a turning point if you use your rehab time right  - and you will build up all kinds of muscles you never knew you had.  You will cultivate compassion for peole who have issues with movement.  You will become patient. You will heal.  I remember sitting on the subway one day, right after I got out of the brace but was still on the cane and looking at the woman across from me- her knees and legs were perfectly matched. I felt so blue - my knee always hurt, I limped, my legs would never match again - one was like a stick with freckles on it, and my  scar was so ugly.  WRONG. Pain subsided over time (completely); scar faded (can barely see it) and legs match perfectly again.  Many of  you are much much younger than some of us (I was 49 when I had surgery - 2 docs (fatsos !!!) wouldn't even consider me as a patient because I was too "old." Huh  ???I ran 4 marathons in my mid- forties !!  (I found an athlete doc.) You young'uns will heal fast. Me - honestly it took three years until I had no residual pain in my hip or my leg - but it kept getting better and better and it is ALL behind me now.  My PY stretche

s are part of my work out routine. And this  weekend I biked 17 miles; ran 7 miles (on pavement) and swam a mile and a half.   I could have done more but I wanted to watch the Red Sox.  You'll get there - in baby steps. Time flies.

• russhater Rookie 7 posts since
    Feb 8, 2008
    318. Oct 6, 2008 7:03 AM (in response to skypenny)

Hey guys

Just wanted to let you all know that I just completed my first post-surgery marathon this past weekend almost 9 months after my surgery to replace my right ACL and repair a torn meniscus.  I had no knee pain and had a great time.  My finish time could have been better had the rain and cold not have been so relentless, but I completed the 26.2 miles and it was a pretty cool feeling of satisfaction when I crossed that line.  Just wanted to remind anyone going through this that a torn ACL/meniscus does not mean that your running days are over!

• softcrush Rookie 1 posts since
    Oct 12, 2008
    319. Oct 12, 2008 1:12 PM (in response to skypenny)

Hi Everyone:

Been reading through all the touching stories. WOW...  thank you all for writing such details and inspirational reports. Some of you sound sooooo very quick to bounce back.:) 

I'm at the very edge of going through with the surgery I think.  I haven't gotten a complete diagnosis yet, which is frustrating, but I think I'm headed toward a meniscus/ACL surgery.  I have been through a lot in my life and WAS busy recovering from a long illness (years).  I never let it get me down because I knew the whole time, I would get my running back. Just as I was getting really well again feeling like my normal self, things took a turn for the worse...when one injury begot the next. Now... I find myself in this unthinkable position.  

I'm pretty sure that the twisting event happened six months ago, and that left me with the patellar subluxation, meniscus tear...and lax ACL.  The MRI only shows a mild sprain with the ACL...but since the knee is unstable, I have to keep looking for a doc to take it seriously. I have chronic sharp pains that foster swelling in my joint line.  Both legs are injured and the ankle is injured. I've got to somehow climb out of this mess.  It looks so daunting...and I keep trying to unwind how it all happened...looking for an exit door.

Thanks for letting me post...

~S:)

efforting knee injury diagnosis
  • aamy2121 Rookie 1 posts since
    Jan 15, 2008
    320. Oct 24, 2008 2:01 PM (in response to russhater)

Hi,  I am 10 weeks post op and just started light jogging last week.  I have been doing bike and eliptical to suppliment the cardio.  I have been experiencing shin pain (sort of like shin splints but not).  Anyone else experienced this?

• runs4fun Pro 169 posts since
    Aug 23, 2007
    321. Oct 27, 2008 1:50 PM (in response to aamy2121)

Could the shin pain be related to tightness in your calf and hamstring muscles? It's not uncommon for persons who've had ACL surgery to have some difficulty with that.  Another possibility is that your biomechanics have changed due to the altered strength profile post-operatively.  Are you wearing the same shoes you were before?  Perhaps a different shoe is in order?  It might be worthwhile to get a gait analysis done either by your therapist or perhaps you've got access to a technical running shoe store that has people there that can watch you run and see if the shoes you're wearing are correct? 

Just some food for thought, Janet

Treat the cause, not just the symptoms.... http://www.runningstrong.com

• BronxDaveZ Rookie 2 posts since
    Jan 25, 2009
    322. Jan 25, 2009 6:52 PM (in response to skynickel)

Hey skypenny, and everyone else:

I've been reading and posting to this thread since late 2007. I had a complete tear of the ACL in my right knee with some miniscus damage as well. I had a new (dead guy's) tendom put in on Feb 2nd of 2008.

So, it'll be a year post-op next week. And today, I ran my first 1/2 marathon -- not just since the surgey, but ever. I iced it down later at home and all is well.

Hang in there. It gets better so much quicker than you think

• briamarie22 Rookie 7 posts since
    Feb 11, 2008
    323. Jan 26, 2009 4:34 AM (in response to BronxDaveZ)

Congrats Dave!! That's awesome.

I've been doing great as well. I set a new half marathon PR in October, and am getting ready to run another one in a couple of weeks. I'm hoping to do a full marathon in october. After my half my knee did go kind of nuts, and I actually went to the surgeon after a few weeks of physio to make sure it was not my ACL or meniscus. She said she was pretty confident it was ITB friction syndrome (also what my physio said), which was great news by comparison. I do find if I run outside the side of my knee gets kinda sore but I am anything but religious about icing afterwards. The surgeon said my ACL was perfect and my knee did not test positive for anything to do with meniscus so with that relief I have been running like I've never ran before.

Hope everyone else is enjoying similar success!

~B

• skynickel Rookie 5 posts since
    Feb 5, 2008
    324. Jan 26, 2009 6:43 AM (in response to skypenny)

Hi !

Its' Skpenny (a/k/a skynickel)  Bonxdave - that is AWESOME. I am so encouraged.  The longest I have run since coming back was 10 miler befoer Thanksgiving.  A race wodul give me a goal.  My regular  weekly total is closer to 15 - 20 these days but I do a lot of cross trainign so it adds up.  My LR is usualy 5 or  6 - but maybe its time to crank it up again. I was just so happy to be back at all, with no pain. My 3 mile lunchtime  runs are so great, especially in this cold crisp weather.  Big news for me - this is my second seaon back on the alpine skis. (That is how  I got injured.) Scary at first, but I stay on runs I can handle  (tranmsalte - EASY ones) and I knock off after lunch instead of skiing all day like I used to. (There is a lot to be said for a post-ski fireplace at the base lodge, with a beer and some conversation)  I am psyched to hear of your victory !

• firelady06 Rookie 6 posts since
    Feb 10, 2009
    325. Feb 11, 2009 5:52 AM (in response to skypenny)

I had the dreaded triad back in 2000. I was in an ankle to hip brace for 6 months and then a smaller calf to just above the knee brace for another year. It was almost 2 years to the date that I could finally run pain free. I still prefer running on softer stuff. Tried running on a dirt/gravel bike and hike path only to have my knee swell and be sore for 3 days.  Good luck. Oh, I am 50 yrs old by the way. The story may be different for younger people.

• nevergetaclrepair Rookie 1 posts since
    Jul 7, 2009
    326. Jul 7, 2009 10:40 PM (in response to skypenny)

what a mistake in getting my acl repair constant pain never will be the same..........use to love to ride my horses but now cant and have had to sell my horses as a result  BAD DECISION  FOR ANYONE TO GET ACL REPAIR!!!!!!!

• firechick9 Amateur 13 posts since
    May 15, 2008
    327. Jul 11, 2009 11:36 PM (in response to skypenny)

I had a complete ACL repair back in 1/04 using part of my patella tendon and well as medial meniscus repair due to a basketball injury.  I had followup surgery in 4/05 to remove scar tissue that was hindering complete movement.  In July 07 I was able to complete 60 miles of walking over 3 days as part of the 3 Day Walk for breast cancer.  Last year I started running again and though I was never much of a long distance runner, started to train for a half marathon.  Since then I have completed 2 half marathons and a number of 5Ks.  So far this year I've completed a couple of 5Ks and am currently training for a sprint triathlon and the Marine Corps Marathon.  Recovery was a slow and painful process but I had a great ortho and PT.  Neither one is overly crazy about my running but my PT (I try to keep in touch with him), has wished me the best of luck with the first full marathon.  I hope this never happens to anyone who has never gone through this but if you have, don't give up hope. Oh I almost forgot, I continue to play basketball (at times) and an avid alpine skier (again).

• BronxDaveZ Rookie 2 posts since
    Jan 25, 2009
    328. Feb 17, 2010 7:28 PM (in response to skynickel)

Hello all:

So, I wanted to put another post up about ACL recovery. I had my ACL replaced (complete tear, some miniscus damage, dead guy's tendon used) just over two years ago (Feb of 2008). Now, I know that everyone's body is different, everyone's injuries are different. But I wanted to put something out there about recovery.

First (not just from my own experience, but from *MANY* others who I personally know who have had ACL surgery as well) -- you will recover. You're knee will be awesome (as long as you do your PT and keep your knee strong). Of course there are instances of unsuccessful ACL surgery, but I think it's an overwhelmingly successful proceedure. I was not a runner BEFORE my surgery, but about 1 year post-op I ran 2 1/2 marathons, and am running the NYC 1/2 in March.

Second, you will have set backs. You will. Trust me. Between about 9 months post-op and now (2 years+ post op), I've had about 3  .... what I like to call "Knee Spazz-out Episodes". Where, for no reason at all, my knee just started hurting. I wasn't running at the time or working out. Often it was when I hadn't been doing anything on the knee for quite some time. But as long as you're good to your knee, you ice it when it's sore, and rest it when it's hating on you, you'll be fine.

Oh, and I signed up for the NYC marathon yesterday.

Anyway, this message thread was a great resource for me before and just after my surgery, so I wanted to add a little more to it.

• briamarie Rookie 2 posts since
    May 29, 2007
    329. Jan 2, 2011 6:02 PM (in response to skypenny)

Just trashing some old e-mails, and I came across a post notification from this thread.

I am now 3 years!! post-op. CRAZY.

My knee is phenomenal, and I am in the best shape of my life. I took up triathlon last year, and did my first half ironman in June.

Check out my blog -- http://legalb.wordpress.com if you are in need of some post-ACL repair motivation. This thread was very helpful to me during some dark times. ACL repair is scary, and there are a lot of horror stories. But like others here have said, most outcomes are positive.

I truly hope everyone is doing well, keeping active, and strengthening their knees

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...