Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

53307 Views 330 Replies Latest reply: Feb 2, 2011 11:56 AM by Goterps007 RSS Go to original post 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 23 Previous Next
  • wkm99 Rookie 337 posts since
    Jun 30, 2006
    Currently Being Moderated
    45. Jul 12, 2006 7:09 PM (in response to skypenny)
    Re: Coming Back after ACL Surgery ?

I had ACL recon w/bioabsorbable screws not metal ones and allograft and partial menisectomy where 30% of my medial meniscus (cartilage) was trimmed or "cleaned up."  Post-op was !@#%^*, iced the knee a lot with that cooler contraption thingy.  Did PT when I came to after general shortly after they wheeled me out of OR,  !http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/eek.gif|src=http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/eek.gif|border=0! , also at PTist site, PT homework at home and oh had that CPM machine for a few weeks at home.  Gradually did more PT both home and at gym w/PTist, stationary cycling, nothing hardcore, always ended with icing and elevation which felt good.  After workouts at home I'd use frozen peas or corn and elevated knee, leg, foot for 1/2 hr.  Exercise was moderate with bike riding w/o traffic around neighborhood for short workouts, some walking.  Again, nothing strenuous and I never over did it.  At 6 months post-op I was given the go-ahead to run but again OS (orthopedic surgeon) said to do the walk-run-walk thing keeping in mind that workouts shouldn't be too long otherwise I'd go backwards in my recovery/rehab.  I'd walk for a long time, incorporate some running and ended with a walking warmdown.  This went on for weeks, months until eventually I could run more and walk less.  I always run every OTHER day and rest on non-running days and if I insist on exercising on non-running or rest days, it's some easy bike riding, walking the dog, swimming and non pounding on the joints exercise.  Knee feels good, no pain.  I only get pain if I increase my mileage too suddenly instead of gradually so I've learned.  Also, I'm very careful now.  No slipping, twisting, stepping off a curb absentmindedly, no tripping, falling or doing anything clumsy.  No stopping-on-a-dime sports such as basketball, soccer, tennis, baseball, etc.  Remember good hydration.  Dehydrated joints will hurt more.  Drink water, eat healthy and less.  I keep my weight down since even a slight weight gain will hurt my knee or so I've noticed.

• niana Rookie 14 posts since
    Jul 8, 2006
    46. Jul 13, 2006 8:56 AM (in response to skypenny)

Hey OS NITRO ,

thanx a ton for ur reply..i really really appreciate it...well my parents r in india and i really wanted to go and see them...i had my first PT on the 11th of july and my PT said tht i am way ahead of schedule....my operated leg feels very strong..he is going to put me on the bike today ..my ROM is already 129...and i am just 3 wks post op....still have 2 months left for the trip..so i have a lot of time for PT etc.and i am so glad tht u r doing ok coz..man in the begining i thought wot have i put myself into...lol...but every day my knee keeps on getting better and better...i am 40 yrs old female..so dont play basket ball..but was doing taekwondo for the past 3 yrs..theres where i tore my asl..also i do a lot of running on the treadmill..after reading ur comments and comments of the other members here i feel grt and positive tht i will get back to my normal self....thanx a ton once again for ur advice and goodluck to u...

----

• Deluxehorsehitter Rookie 19 posts since
    Jul 17, 2006
    47. Jul 17, 2006 1:31 AM (in response to skypenny)

I'm so glad I found this thread! You guys are great!!!
    In July of '05 I was riding through a fog bank on my Sportster at about 9:30 at night when I slammed into a horse standing in the roadway. The doctor diagnosed me with a sprained MCL and sent me on my way. I sucked it up until about four weeks ago and made another appointment. They did an MRI(finally) and found that I had trashed my miniscus( both sides) and torn my ACL, but only sprained my MCL( I guess his first guess was accurate).
    I had the surgery last Monday, 7/10/06, a ACL reconstruction (via the Patellar) and both miniscus were repaired (I'm not sure of the procedure or the extent). I started PT the day after surgery.
    I had stopped running about four months before the accident. I had just became a full time single dad, had burned out and just couldn't seem to find the time to run. Needless to say NOT being able to run has really fueled my fire to get out on the road.
    Since my doctor and PTA's arent runners I find it hard to relate my concerns to them, so I did a search and found you guys. Isn't the internet great?

A few questions:
    How strong will my knee be when it's fully healed?
    What should I expect as far as stability?
    Once I'm able to start running again do I need to wear a protective brace?
    I used to run trails and gravel roads a lot, will this be a no-no?
    Will there be a time when my knee will feel like it used to?
    I'm really afraid that every pain and twinge will play mind games with me, what sensations are normal on the way to recovery?

Anyhoo, thanks for all of the informative posts! You guys are truly inspiring!!!

Jul 17, 2006
    49. Jul 17, 2006 11:13 AM (in response to skypenny)

Skypenny, thanks so much for the info!
    You are so right about patience and compassion, very well put.
    The part about your other knee had me rolling, sounds like something I'd do!

I awoke this morning to a very stiff knee, my PT said that this could be expected after five days and to expect a drop in recovery before it rebounds back.

I'm off to therapy now and looking forward to it.
    I hope everyone has a great day!

• Currently Being Moderated
    50. Dec 21, 2007 11:33 AM (in response to skypenny)

Hello All-
    I am new to this - was training for my first marathon for 5 weeks (following a cross between the Galloway and the Higdon training regimine - getting up to about 20-22 miles a week) before I tore my ACL in a State Championship soccer tournament (3 weeks ago). I am 34 years old, played soccer in college and never had any type of injury. Ran a few short distance races to stay in shape over the years, but wanted a new challenge.

I have decided to have ACL reconstruction (hamstring tendon) and go into surgery on Thursday. I was wondering if anyone out there chose to stay awake - or at least loopy and sedated, rather than the general anestesia and being put to sleep.

The marathon I had planned on running has a half marathon. This is about 5 months away... does anyone think that if I started running again in 2 months that I may have a chance to at least run in it and finish? Also, any soccer, tennis or basketball (pivot sports) players out there that can give me some idea of how long it took to get back out and play competetively? I know I must be patient, just curious.

My overall goal is to run in the marathon (Charlotte, NC - I'm in Raleigh) by December 2007 and to play in a soccer tournament in July of 2007.

Thanks and I am enjoying reading the posts.
    Good inspiration!

[http://This message has been edited by SoccerPlayer8 (edited Jul-17-2006).|http://This message has been edited by SoccerPlayer8 (edited Jul-17-2006).]

Jul 17, 2006
    51. Jul 17, 2006 11:43 PM (in response to skypenny)

SoccerPlayer8-
    Sorry to hear about your injury.
    I didn't have a choice as far as sedation went, I was put under with general anesthesia. I did get a femoral block and it did help with the pain. I have a pretty high pain tolerance, but when I first awoke from the sedation my first thought was "what the hell did they do to me?". The pain was intense at first but that may be due to my patellar being the donor ligament.
    I hope all goes well!!!

• niana Rookie 14 posts since
    Jul 8, 2006
    52. Jul 18, 2006 8:29 AM (in response to skypenny)

Hey SoccerPlayer 8,

Goodluck to u for ur surgery..i also had my acl reconstructed on june 22 06 ( hamstring tendon } I tore my acl doing taekwondo....i dont run marathons but do run on the treadmill 5 miles a day / 5days a week.Like deluxe horse hitter said i also didnt have any choice as far as sedation went ,i was also put under general anesthesia , my surgery went off pretty well ,woke up to no pain at all...was feeling really great after i woke up and thru out the day after my surgery BUT the next day was the worse,had no pain at all coz i was advised to take the pain killers prescribed around the clock but i had nausea and tht also very bad one..loll...it was from the anesthesia as it was wearing off..so as a precaution pls ask ur doc to prescribe somthing for nausea incase u need it..i also passed out in the restroom tht day....besides tht day...everything has been going grt....i have started my PT....and am really enjoying it...have already started biking...the exercises ur doc tells u to do after the surgery at home..u shud do them ..i did and the first day i went for my PT my range of motion was already upto 127....{ thts grt according to my pt..loll}abt ur running ..i am not sure if u'll b able to run in two months but then only ur PT can tell u tht...and yep u really need to b patient and take one day at a time...

U take care and pls let us know how u doing after ur surgery and how did it go.....all the best once again.

• drojewski Rookie 54 posts since
    Dec 5, 2007
    54. Jul 18, 2006 11:09 AM (in response to skypenny)

Soccerplayer8, I too was totally knocked out for my surgery. I didn't have a choice either. Like skypenny said, even though it's a routine surgery they are doing some major re-wiring.

As far as running a half marathon 2 months after surgery. I would talk to your PT guys and listen to them. I highly doubt you will be able to run a half marathon in that short of time. I had my surgery on Dec 21 and it was 5 weeks after my surgery that the PT's put me on a treadmill. But, it was for only shorts periods and they had me hanging onto the rails. The PT's said they have never seen anyone recover as quickly as I have. Even with my quick recovery I wasn't even close to being able to run a half marathon. It's a slow process and you don't want to re-injure that ACL. I didn't run a half marathon until Memorial Day weekend. I think you should re-think the half marathon and wait until you have totally recovered from this surgery. Let us know how it goes.
    Tell us how it went.

Hi skypenny!

• runawaymum Rookie 6 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    56. Jul 20, 2006 5:41 PM (in response to skypenny)

Hi guys, this is a great thread , I  had ACL ( hamstring graft ) and Lateral Meniscus repair done 17 Oct 05 so just over 9 months out.

Generally I'm really pleased I had the surgery done , I couldn't do any running beforehand and was constantly having problems with the knee 'slipping', same as you describe Marycrow. I think I've been quite lucky with my recovery going so well .I think someone else posted about going into surgery fitter than ever before, I just wanted to add that I was the same and I'm sure it was a major help to my recovery. The surgery itself was 'keyhole' , I had exercises given to me to start doing same day basically and my pt had me back on the exercycle after 10 days even though I was still on crutches.

Its reassuring to read that alot of people say their knee just doesnt feel the same I have been struggling with it not feeling 'right' .. I still avoid things that might reinjure it but did do a three hour hike over some pretty steep trails just recently which was fine.

Does anyone have issues with leg length discrepancy post surgery . I think it is a result of having the original injury undiagnosed and not treated for nearly two years, during that time I was still doing tri's and kept up wrestling ( which is how I injured it in the first place). I seem to have less flexibility in general in that leg , not just the knee , probably from unconsiously 'protecting' knee all the time. I find that if I dont exercise , particularly cycling , for a week or so my knee actually feels worse like it has less strength, has anyone else experienced this?

On the bright side I am running 20k a week building up to half marathon ( off road even ) in October, and don't have any problems as long as I keep it slow. Have been using the Maffetone method also on this site and 'touch wood' it works really well . Have also done alot of cycling, and have posted several PB in races over the last few months.

Good luck to you all post and pre surgery , its definetly a long grind but well worth it .

Jul 17, 2006
    57. Jul 22, 2006 4:39 PM (in response to skypenny)

Hey everyone :-P

My PT keeps telling me that I'll soon experience a sharp decline in strength, mobility, and stability. She showed me a graph that illustrated a period of growth followed by a sharp decline before rebounding. Had any of you experienced this after the surgery? If so what can I expect? I feel like I'm making great progress, but when I confessed to the PT that I was not using my crutches all the time at home she freaked a little. Now she has me paranoid. LOL!!
    Anyhoo, I hope all is good with everyone. You all are real spirit boosters!!!!!!!!

• drojewski Rookie 54 posts since
    Dec 5, 2007
    58. Jul 25, 2006 10:44 AM (in response to skypenny)

deluxehorsehitter,
    No I didn't experience any of that at all. I felt as if I was just constantly "climbing the ladder" of recovery. I did go in spurts of where I would notice a difference every so many days, but it was where I was feeling stronger or just better overall. I have days where I'm a bit cautious still. I really don't think about it at all anymore but, I can tell you when the weather is going to change dramtically now!

Skypenny! Things are great here just the normal stuff with my training. The heat and humidity are slowing me up but, before we know it fall will be here. Yep, I've got a fall marathon earmarked. I'm going to Detroit on October 29. I really didn't want to do this one but I need to re-qualify and I always run well here. I have alot of support here. My coaches biggest thing was, I know the course, it's in my hometown, I can sleep in my own bed, eat my own food and I'm familar with the weather. I have done Detroit twice before and was kinda bummed with the descion at first. I'm okay with it now. It will be fun to do my comeback race at home in the presence of my running partners and my VERY supportive husband! If I have a bad day (which I really don't think I will) I have two backup marathons (Philly or Memphis). I'm also doing a 50k trail ultra September 8. This will be used as training we walk up the hills and it's sopposed to be fun. I'm looking forward to it!!! How is your foot issue?? Keep in touch! If you want you can e-mail me, I enjoy talking to you!!

• OSNitro Rookie 7 posts since
    Jul 3, 2006
    59. Jul 25, 2006 2:54 PM (in response to skypenny)

Hey guys!

I just have a few thoughts relating to the previous replies...

I've heard of the decline in the strength of the ACL repair that was mentioned before...i've learned that it occurs when the vasculature that 'grows' after surgery (in order to repair and heal the damaged caused by such a surgery) declines, therefore decreasing the blood supply to the ACL. at this time the ACL is more vulnerable to reinjury until the muscles as well as the ligaments strengthen. Although i've heard of this, i didn't notice it in my ACL. I used crutches for about a day after surgery. Then i simply waddled around in the knee imobilizer. If i were to leave the house, i would bring the crutches just in case i felt weak or something. (luckily i wasn't too busy at the time of my surgery!!)

I had my surgery at the beginning of Jan 06, so I am almost 7 months out. A few weeks ago, i began playing basketball once a week with my college team. It's on a smaller court, so there isn't as much running involved, but consequently there is more pivoting! I've played in 3 games so far. I've found that i am unable to do everything that i could before (and believe me i knew that would happen!) For instance, i'm not strong enough to drive to the hoop, but i can shoot, run, play defense, slide...with no problems so far. After each game i ICE ICE ICE! it's sometimes sore the next day, but that's expected. I also do excercises to strengthen my quads/hamstrings and jog 3x a week when weather permits. So although i'm no where close to normal, I am happy so far with my recovery, and i'll keep you guys updated on how the season in the winter goes!

i do have one question/comment...
    I had the hamstring graft, so i have a 2" scar on the inner side underneath my kneecap where they harvested the muscle. Does anyone notice that the scar aches after excercise or simply sitting in the same position for a period of time? My knee/ACL itselft feels fine, but the scar actually hurts! Any thoughts?

Thanks a bunch!  And GOOD LUCK to everyone, especially those training for marathons! (something i could NEVER do!  )

1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 23 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...