Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

28841 Views 361 Replies Latest reply: Nov 30, 2007 5:15 PM by spicegeek RSS 1 2 3 ... 25 Previous Next
sweetP062 Rookie 24 posts since
Mar 13, 2002
Currently Being Moderated

Feb 14, 2006 5:53 PM

Stress fracture success story - part 2

There was a thread like this going on a while ago, but I decided to re-create it for those of us who have just recovered in the past few weeks to give those who are currently suffering hope.  I found this a big source of inspirarion for me hearing the success stories of mtmom, chinaplate, and others when I was still in the depths of my injury.

Basically, I was suffering with a femoral stress fracture for 4 long months. No running at all!!! I just started running again on January 29. At first it was really hard, and I could only run 2 miles at a time without a walk break, but less than 2 weeks later, I won a 5K in conjunction with the Birmingham marathon. Then yesterday I ran a SLOW 13 miles. So, just be patient and let the injury run its course, and you will be back in no time.

As a side note, I just want to warn everyone not to start back until their bodies are ready.  There were 2 times that I tried to run, but knew after just a few steps that I wasn't ready, so I quit.  I think that if you just let the injury run its course, it is a whole lot easier to get back into things.

• mbannon Rookie 1,542 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    1. Feb 14, 2006 8:03 PM (in response to sweetP062)
    Re: Stress fracture success story - part 2

Well, this isn't a success story YET, but hopefully it will become one before the prime Spring running season...

In late December I decided I probably had a stress fracture in my lower tibia - too cheap to go to the doctor, though, plus I know they'll just tell me to stop running for "x" number of weeks. I can supply the "x." So I stopped running for 6 weeks, but did lots of swimming, elliptical, and stationary bike.

My first run back was wonderful. Three miles at my regular ol' pace with no problems other than very sore quads (wasn't expecting that, but no big deal). That was my only run that week. The next week (this would be last week) I repeated the run and again felt good. But a day or two later the pain returned to my lower tibia. I'm not sure if it's exactly the same pain, but it's close enough to have me worried.

So I guess it's another 4 weeks or so off, then another test run or two.  In the meantime I am bound and determined to actually improve my aerobic capacity and will be sure to do more squats and keep up the toe raises - don't want to go through the shin splints phase again!

----

Running To My Future
    Me[/URL" target="_blank"> and My Log[/URL" target="_blank">
    The
    Newbie Wiki[/URL" target="_blank">

• PerfesserR Amateur 153 posts since
    Sep 7, 2005
    2. Feb 15, 2006 9:36 AM (in response to sweetP062)

quote:

Originally posted by mbannon:

So I guess it's another 4 weeks or so off, then another test run or two.  In the meantime I am bound and determined to actually improve my aerobic capacity and will be sure to do more squats and keep up the toe raises - don't want to go through the shin splints phase again!

Me too, I just tried some easy runs after 8 wks off for a tibial sf. No go--still some pain in the area. Arrrgghhh.
    Anyway, listen to your Doc, but mine said no weight-bearing exercise at all because it stresses the fracture, that would exclude squats, I would think.

• TexasRose Rookie 12 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    4. Feb 18, 2006 8:03 AM (in response to sweetP062)

Thanks for sharing these stories. It helps me keep things in perspective! I just got my boot yesterday for a tibial sf and no running for 8 weeks. I don't have access to a pool, but I can do the recumbant bike. I hope that and my lifting will keep me in shape until I can do weight-bearing exercise again!

• chinaplate Rookie 51 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    6. Feb 21, 2006 3:05 PM (in response to sweetP062)

Hey SweetP,

So glad to hear you are doing well. I am having a set back week. I was doing about 7 every other day or so on the TM but started to have a lot of issue with my injured side. A month ago I also had some issues with my good side, but worried less as I didn't freak out over reinjury.

I think that I ignored some signals my last couple of runs and then it all hit. Some soreness in the original spot and lots that could be due to a tight psoas (which was what originally caused my fracture). So I'm trying to take at least a full week to do no running, take a rest day or two, and mostly swim or bike. Hopefully it will calm down!

Back at 13 already seems amazing to me!! Keep at it and congrats!

CP

• Crossranch Rookie 5 posts since
    Sep 23, 2005
    7. Feb 21, 2006 10:38 PM (in response to sweetP062)

I am glad to hear others working thru this too.  So to join in, another almost I hope success story.  I had/have a real bad stress fracture of the tibia.  It happened on October 29th. 

I stayed completely off (kinda depressed) for Nov and Dec. Around xmas I tried running - 10 seconds on the treadmill and bingo - pain. So nothing but eliptical (boring) until about last week.

Then back on the treadmill for 1.5 miles. NO PAIN. Beautiful. Got proper shoes for my supination/ high arches (could the stability shoes have been a cause?). Have been running 1.5 - 2.0 miles on the treadmill about 4 or 5 times now.

Odd thing is there is no pain at the fracture spot while running - not even discomfort - but about 12 to 24 hours after it is sore to the touch at that spot. Fades after about two days.

Any ideas what this is? Feels almost like shin splints (which I have plenty of experience with) but its very specific to the quarter sized spot where the fracture was.

Also today noticed some discomfort right above the ankle on the same leg and some "cramping" on the top of the foot. Am I just using things that have been "off" for 3 + months?

Thoughts?

Sep 23, 2005
    10. Feb 22, 2006 10:18 PM (in response to sweetP062)

Thanks for the positive attitude.  Hopefully I'll be lucky enuf to stop at one and not try for three.  You are on the mark... no pain at all while running but soreness afterwards.  Seems worse later in the day (like now).  I am treating it like shinsplints - few days off and ice and advil. 

The good news is that I think the eliptical (as much as I don't like it) has kept me from loosing too much cardio fitness. Doing a mile and a half on the treadmill still seems like just a warm up - kinda a good feeling.

I am hoping to come back from this and do Whiterock at the end of the year.   Some friends did Austin but it was a bit cold.

• mbannon Rookie 1,542 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    11. Feb 23, 2006 1:09 AM (in response to sweetP062)

quote:

Odd thing is there is no pain at the fracture spot while running - not even discomfort - but about 12 to 24 hours after it is sore to the touch at that spot. Fades after about two days.

This is exactly what I'm experiencing right now.  I figured I'd started back to running too soon and was re-opening the fracture.  Does anyone actually know for sure (from MRI's or X-Rays or something) that their fracture was totally healed even though they still felt this pain the day after running?  It would be wonderful if I could start running again, I've been thinking I need another month off.  The pool and the gym have done wonders for my fitness level, but I'd still rather be running if possible.

----

Running To My Future
    Me[/URL" target="_blank"> and My Log[/URL" target="_blank">
    The
    Newbie Wiki[/URL" target="_blank">

• divechief Legend 359 posts since
    Aug 14, 2007
    12. Feb 23, 2006 2:13 AM (in response to sweetP062)

FWIW I've been told that a SF will show up as a hot spot on a bone scan for MONTHS after it's "healed"   After my orthopod gave me a cautious OK to return to running I still felt a little pain while running.  I choose to give it one more month before I resumed running.  After 6 months on the elliptical, what's another month?

I felt what's a month or two when I have my whole life ahead of me?

Good luck.
    Dave

----

about me[/URL" target="_blank">

Sep 23, 2005
    13. Feb 23, 2006 10:16 PM (in response to sweetP062)

To mbannon and divechief (and others).  Heres what I know.  I did the bone scan when this happened in late Oct and it showed a real hotspot.  The doc told me that xrays show nothing of a stress fracture until its healing or healed.  Then it shows some as new bone. 

I tried running around xmas (could literally only do 10 seconds on the treadmill) and like you said it hurt while running so I went back to the doc. He put me in a boot until Feb. Then I got the green lite to try running. He says based on xray that the fracture is completely healed... no risk of reopening it. He also says that if there is pain while running - stop.

No advice on what to do for pain after running. I have heard that the damage to the covering of the tibia can also show as a hot spot and I am guessing that this is what is hurting me. Similar to the separation of the covering from the bone that causes real severe shin splints. If it does not start to fade soon I am going back to the doc to ask.

But until then its lite running every second or third day or so and ice and stretching.  I am a bit torn - I agree with you "whats one more month out of a lifetime" but I think this has to be a bit of trial and error.

• Bienzi Rookie 23 posts since
    May 30, 2007
    14. Feb 24, 2006 7:40 AM (in response to sweetP062)

quote:

Originally posted by chinaplate:

I think that I ignored some signals my last couple of runs and then it all hit.
    CP

Please help me with this, what are the signs? I have a 'spot' in my ankle that if i turn it just right, it kills, it doesnt hurt to walk on it but found myself limping home on my last run. i have a half marathon in two weeks, eek!

Help!

----

me[/URL" target="_blank">

1 2 3 ... 25 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...