Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

162121 Views 602 Replies Latest reply: Feb 7, 2013 9:53 AM by DD1509 Go to original post 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... 41 Previous Next
  • marathon15 Rookie 36 posts since
    Jun 8, 2007
    Currently Being Moderated
    105. Jul 7, 2007 10:59 AM (in response to coloradolora)
    Re: Hip Arthroscopy & Labral Tear: Please help!

Hi Sg
    They cannot conclusively say it is a tear until they are actually in there. I had said in an earlier posting that my doctor in Boston, ordered a 'cocktail shot'- combination of cortisone, numbing agent and something else. He told me that it was for pain relief but also for diagnostic purposes. If the shot didn't 'wear off' then the pain would most likely have been from inflammationif it did, it confirmed the tear. As soon as my shot wore off, I went back to the doctor and he scheduled surgery for me. And I know what you mean about the pain in bed. That has been a recent phenomenon for me. I have had great difficulty getting into a comfortable position in bed. It is so achy. As I said earlier, I am having surgery in August. At this point in time, I probably shouldn't be exercising at alleverything seems to hurt after I exercise. Even the eliptical. It doesn't hurt when I am doing it--but I am achy afterwards. I was dancing at a family event recently-had a great time, but couldn't sleep that night and the next morning I was so sore.  I'm a amazed that you can still train for a triathalon. I wish I could but I am truly uncomfortable. I am having the surgery so that I can eventually get back to running, biking,etc. Sue

• lakeview60613 Rookie 6 posts since
    Jan 30, 2007
    106. Jul 7, 2007 12:43 PM (in response to coloradolora)

Hi All,

Just discovering this thread. I wish I'd seen it sooner. I am four days post-surgery for a labral tear on my left hip. Like many of you, I had a frustrating period of bouncing from doctor to doctor, with most of them telling me it was "nothing" or that "I needed to rest more" or "just ice it". This went on a couple of years until I started to be convinced it was all in my head. After a disastrous 5-mile race in March I went to yet a new doctor, and told him I wouldn't leave the office without a real diagnosis or at least an action plan for finding one. This doctor was patient and listened to me, and it took him about a half-hour to decide it was probably a torn labrum. He sent me for an MR Arthrogram and that confirmed it.

From what that doctor said and the little I was able to research on my own, it seemed pretty clear that surgery was the only solution. I went in for surgery this past Tuesday at Northwestern Memorial (Chicago).

So far so good. The day of the surgery itself was rough. I couldn't hold down any food or water and any movemement (even a slight shift in the way I was sitting) was painful. But by the next morning I was much better. I ditched the crutches by day three, and there is no noticeable limp at all. I'm pretty amazed at how much better it feels already and how quickly the recovery is going. I'm going to try my first post-surgery workout today (something easy and non-weight bearing).

I'm glad I got it over with. I should say that even though right now I'm optimistic, I haven't really tested the hip yet to see how much better it is than before the surgery. I'm waiting for the post-op visit with the surgeon on Wednesday for the go-ahead to try any kind of stress-testing on my new and improved hip.

As far as impact on other parts of life, I only had to take one day off from work, the day of the surgery itself (Tuesday). The next day was a holiday (July 4), and Thursday and Friday I was able to work from home pretty comfortably. I fully expect to be back in the office on Monday and completely able to work a full day / week.

Good luck to all and thanks for your stories.

Best,
    --Tim

(35 year old male)

• hutch052 Rookie 5 posts since
    Jul 7, 2007
    107. Jul 7, 2007 4:56 PM (in response to coloradolora)

to chicago surgery, who did your surgery, I have a labrum tear also and impingement in the left hip...

questions,
    did the surgeon fix the impingement or just the tear.

any details would be great. I live in chicago and schedule surgery with philippon in colarodo in november earliest he would take me, just wondering who you used in chicago?
    and what they did to fix you.

• lakeview60613 Rookie 6 posts since
    Jan 30, 2007
    108. Jul 7, 2007 6:02 PM (in response to coloradolora)

Hutch,

November seems a long time to wait. I was disappointed at having to wait six weeks. Anyway, the physician who first diagnosed me properly was Dr. Joel Press at the Rehabilitation Institute of Chicago. He then sent me to Dr. Jason Koh at Northwestern. Dr. Koh was my surgeon. Not much (nothing) about him on this thread but if you do a web search you will see he's no lightweight. The surgery was to both repair the labrum as well as the impingement. I plan on asking more questions about exactly what he did when I go in for my post-op visit this week.

Good luck with everything. Feel free to ask for more details and I will be happy to provide if I can.

Best,
    --Tim

Jul 7, 2007
    109. Jul 7, 2007 9:32 PM (in response to coloradolora)

sounds good for you that you are off the crutches so quick, I am going to meet with Koh, I had heard of him, the more I think about it waiting to nov is long, philippon is the best at the hip scopes from what I have read and I have been on all the boards but I know koh would do a good job.  I will try to meet with him.

regards and thanks for info lakeview60613, I live in ravenswood area.

• marathon15 Rookie 36 posts since
    Jun 8, 2007
    110. Jul 8, 2007 5:08 PM (in response to coloradolora)

Tim
    So great to read your postingit sounds like you had the same thing going on that I didlabral tear and impingement. Let me know what the doctor says about what exactly they did. It was so reassuring to hear that you were off crutches so quickly. I intend to be back at work right after the surgery as well. Keep me posted on your recovery. I am having my surgery August 16th! Sue

Jul 7, 2007
    111. Jul 9, 2007 11:15 AM (in response to coloradolora)

to lakeview60613

• jentheroadrunner Rookie 34 posts since
    Jul 11, 2007
    112. Jul 9, 2007 10:20 PM (in response to coloradolora)

Hutch -
    Just to warn you...I had a bone spur shaved and re-attatchment of the tear a little over three weeks ago and I am still on crutches. From this site, I can see rehab options seem to vary. I was told by my doc here in Colorado that I probably won't be able to run until about December and it is NOT something one wants to rush through or you will risk shredding the tear to pieces. If this happens, think hip replacement and arthritic hip at a very young age. It has been incredibly hard to stay off and not push myself too hard but it will be worth it when I can run w/out pain next summer.

I am allowed to swim w/arms only at this point in time and hopefully can get on a stationary bike soon. Dr. Vidal performed my surgery. Both her and her husband specialize in the hip scope, philipponis good but you have to stay in Vail until healed. Feel free to ask any other questions and good luck.

I have had a speedy recovery (or so they tell me) and so far so good.

27 year old female

quote:

Originally posted by hutch:

sounds good for you that you are off the crutches so quick, I am going to meet with Koh, I had heard of him, the more I think about it waiting to nov is long, philippon is the best at the hip scopes from what I have read and I have been on all the boards but I know koh would do a good job. I will try to meet with him.

regards and thanks for info lakeview60613, I live in ravenswood area.

• blkaykay8 Rookie 13 posts since
    Jul 3, 2007
    113. Jul 10, 2007 8:42 AM (in response to coloradolora)

Hutch,

I would have to agree with Jen also. I had the surgery on May 11th and am still not where I want to be yet. They did go ahead and remover the tear on my hip.

I have all my strength back, flexibility, and range of motion back. However, I get pain when sitting, standing, and sitting. I also have tendonitis in the hip flexors which make recovery even harder. I will say that the pain now is not as bad as before the surgery.

Definately listen to your body after this surgery more than anything else. I think I was trying to do too much to get off my crutches and it back fired because I was on at least one until 7 weeks post opp.

Best of luck to you.

Jul 7, 2007
    114. Jul 11, 2007 8:16 PM (in response to coloradolora)

Tim

I called the NW scheduling first appointment is september, do you have a contact in his office you could post. that would help. If I could contact his assistant or something to see if I can get in sooner.

To the other posts, thanks for the reality check, I am planning on taking it real easy after surgery no pushing it for me. I am 45 so it's not going to be fun but I will do what it takes to get back. I just want to get surgery done and chicago is slow to get appointment with local surgeons. So I wait to get it done, I'd rather be rehabbing then waiting.

thanks,
    hutch

Jul 3, 2007
    115. Jul 11, 2007 8:35 PM (in response to coloradolora)

Hutch,

I know how you feel about wanting to get it done and over with. I am only 24 and have been dealing with this problem for over 2 years and it is horrible. I thought this surgery would make me feel great at 8 weeks but no such luck.

I am still having a hard time wearing regular pants.  I live in gym pants and athletic shorts.  I can get pants on for a hour or two and then my hip starts to swell and I can't stand the buttons and zippers.  If anyone else has had this probelm, can you please share your advice.

Jul 7, 2007
    116. Jul 11, 2007 8:53 PM (in response to coloradolora)

who did the surgery?

Jul 11, 2007
    117. Jul 11, 2007 9:06 PM (in response to coloradolora)

I SO know how you feel with regular pants.  I wear gym shorts and other workout gear most of the time and jeans/other shorts for only a few hours at a time.  My skin is also very sensitive to where the incisions were made and I have had a reaction to the tape that held them closed for three+ weeks.  I don't get the intense swelling like you do but it is still so sensitive to touch.  One thing that is helping me is taking 2 aleeve in the morning, 2 at night religiously.  I was off my pain killers 3 days after surgery (I hate them!) and my PT instructed this for swelling/general soreness.  I also keep time pieces of soft tape over the incision just to protect it a little bit (PT also recommended this).  I think it helps with the rubbing of fabric, but like I said...a little bit of a rash in the surrounding area.  I don't know if you are icing or not post-surgery they gave me an ice belt that circulated cool/ice water over the hip non-stop and I wore it for about 72 hours straight and I still strap it on occasionally for soreness.  One other thing.  I don't know if anyone else has had to wear a night splint, but I have had to sleep with this large contraption on both feet for the past 3.5 weeks to keep my feet straight up (think toes toward the ceiling).  The Doc said this is to keep soreness of the groin/buttock to a minimum and keep it in the most neutral place.  It's a pain to sleep incredibly comfy with it but I think it has helped w/soreness.  Just a few thougths...

As for everyone else...it is a long process...it's nice to know there ARE other people going through the same thing...nobody has every heard of this injury and it's not a fun one. I think I feel like the crutches have become a part of me. THe pain is better, I am healing and I wish the best of luck to anyone who is going through this or getting ready for surgery! Take your time healing Hutch and to everyone else...hang in there!

quote:

Originally posted by blkaykay8:

Hutch,

I know how you feel about wanting to get it done and over with. I am only 24 and have been dealing with this problem for over 2 years and it is horrible. I thought this surgery would make me feel great at 8 weeks but no such luck.

I am still having a hard time wearing regular pants. I live in gym pants and athletic shorts. I can get pants on for a hour or two and then my hip starts to swell and I can't stand the buttons and zippers. If anyone else has had this probelm, can you please share your advice.

Jul 3, 2007
    118. Jul 11, 2007 10:01 PM (in response to coloradolora)

Hutch,

Dr Busconi in Worecestor MA did the surgery. Definately an awesome doctor and the people at his practice are so nice and and helpful.

Jen,

How far post op are you? I was on crutches for 7 weeks and I couldn't wait to get off of them. I should start taking the alleve twice a day but I hate taking pills and can never seem to remember to take it in the morning. I think that alot of it has to deal with an irratic sleeping schedule that I have now.

Are you back to work yet?  They are keeping me out of work the whole time because I have a desk job and sitting is so painful.

Jul 11, 2007
    119. Jul 11, 2007 11:39 PM (in response to coloradolora)

It will be four weeks tomorrow.  I had no stitches to close the incisions...they taped them shut which has caused the irritation.  I am a teacher so I fortunately have the summer off but I am taking classes from 8:15 - 4:15 everyday to get Montessori certified and I am forced to sit a lot of that time.  I brought in a "lounge" chair that has an adjustable back and I tend to sit in that as much as possible.  My hip actually felt great the first two and a half weeks (I was non-weight bearing that entire time) but then the hip flexors got sore when they allowed me to put 20% of my weight back on the hip.  It is bizzare how 25 pounds could cause pain in the hip flexor and all down the outside of my leg...but it did.  I had a freak-out (thinking I re-injured it somehow) and that is how I found this thread.  So yes, it hurts to sit a lot...I tend to do the ABC's with my ankle about 10 x a day because my foot gets so swelled at the end of the day from putting little to no weight on it.  I have been swimming daily using only my arms and the water feels good on my hip even though I am not using the legs at all...getting in and out of the pool can be difficult and everyone loves to stare but I manage.

I am NOT a pill popper myself but the Aleeve really seems to help. I sit it right by the toothbrush so I don't forget...I figure until I get over the hump I will take it.

If you don't mind me asking, where did you have the surgery performed? Are you in PT right now? I am headed to PT tomorrow...if there is any specific questions you have I can ask my PT...he's great and I have been working with him for numerous issues over the past two years.

jentheroadrunner@msn.com

1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... 41 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...