Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

163336 Views 602 Replies Latest reply: Feb 7, 2013 9:53 AM by DD1509 Go to original post 1 2 3 4 ... 41 Previous Next
  • tpenn40 Rookie 44 posts since
    Sep 19, 2006
    Currently Being Moderated
    15. Oct 6, 2006 10:13 PM (in response to coloradolora)
    Re: Hip Arthroscopy & Labral Tear: Please help!

About 11 months ago I had shoulder surgery for a torn labrum, and a bone that was digging into my supraspinatus rotator cuff tendon.

Obviously it's not the same surgery, but the labrum as you know is a pad of cartilage type stuff that stabilizes the ball in the socket. It won't heal itself. I did all sorts of physical therapy, etc. before changing doctors & finding out what it was.

The GOOD thing about this is - we have the medical technology to fix these things now.

I was a powerlifter, loved lifting heavyweights, and couldn't stand it that I couldn't do it. My shoulder is fine now (at least the one that I had surgery on), but the other shoulder is having the same pain (yes I started lifting heavy again...)

I'll eventually have surgery on it, but have some "life circumstances" I'm dealing with now, so it'll have to wait for a year or 2.

Frustrated that I couldn't lift, I turned to running. I'm still a "beginner", been running about 2 months now, but I'm up to 20-25 miles/week, and am planning on running a marathon in about 7 months.

My point with telling you all this is - if you can't run, find something you can do while your surgery heals. The sooner you have it, the sooner you'll be running again. Do ALL the physical therapy they tell you, no matter how much it hurts, and you'll heal much faster.

I'm 40 and I did just fine.  Good luck!

• Currently Being Moderated
    16. Oct 10, 2006 12:00 AM (in response to coloradolora)

I am about a month post-op for two labral tears (superior and anterior) and for a necessary illiospoas release (it gets cut).  I also have a torn gluteus medius tendon which will require a second suregery.  The injury may be as old as 13 plus years.  For the last four years the pain had been intractable and progressively disabling.  Eventually, I could not sleep, eat, stand, sit, or walk.  I had intense groin pain, lower back pain, hip girdle pain, thigh pain, butt pain.

Except for what I would expect from any surgery, my pain level is already cut in half. I can walk again. Now let me give you some background info about me. I'm close to fifty but was a national and world ranked athelete for years. I tried out in two events for an olympics by invitation from the US Olympic Committee and was also a world ranked miler. I have had three ortho procedures, two were labral tears of the shoulder. Overall, this procedure was a piece of cake. If you are having problems now that are slowly worsening, I can't imagine that you are going to not eventually need the surgery. The tears don't heal. I was out on a four mile hike (as always working through the pain) when suddenly I could not take another step and I was over a mile out. I was then on crutches for the next 4 months until surgery.

I think you are scheduled with Mark Phillibon. And get realistic, you won't be able to get in touch with him until you see him. There are about 7 orthopods who do this surgery (Boston, Vail, Tallahassee, OK, San Diego, San Francisco, and St. Louis). For the person in DC, please check out Dr. McCarthy (sp?) in Boston. Dr. Phillibon has a big name and is very good but Dr. McCarthy may be the name amongst those in the profession.

I had that deep lower ab pain and worked for years on stretching my illiospoas, but it was always tight and irritated. Anyway, it was part of the injury and it rolled over the hip joint incorrectly. Therefore, it was released. It will increase the recovery time but I feel so much better. Of course, I need to work on deep core, but that is no big deal.

Hang in there - it is not as scary as it seems.  Honest!

• jamielyn76 Rookie 1 posts since
    Oct 20, 2006
    17. Oct 20, 2006 10:31 PM (in response to coloradolora)

I had the surgery to repair two labral tears 3 days ago.  The surgery went well and I am already feeling a difference in my hip area- the clicking is gone.  Recovery- I am still on crutches- but not sure if I need to be.  I have a follow up with the surgeon in 3 days- I am going to take it easy until then.  I am anxious to see when I can start some sort of work out routine- although today I did an upper body and ab work out without permission- but listened to my body and I felt as though I could do it.  I took pain meds the first two days- mostly to allow me to sleep.  I understand that I will be starting physical therapy- water preferred- starting next week.  I already feel pretty good and am thinking I will recover sooner than the expected 6-8 weeks- but I will know more once I see the surgeon at the follow up appointment.  I recommend the surgery- I suffered through cronic pain for several years before the diagnosis- I cant wait to be able to do the physical activities I used to do.

• carissaks Rookie 6 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    18. Nov 13, 2006 3:16 PM (in response to coloradolora)

Jamielyn,

I thought I’d check in again in the hopes that someone else posted. I’m so glad you’ve written in so soon after your surgery. I’m having my surgery in nine days, Nov 22nd and my nerves are getting the better of me. It was comforting to read about yours. And your speedy recovery. Especially about your having suffered through the years of chronic pain, as I’ve had mine for over 3 ½ yrs. I’m anxious and hopeful I’ll be able to return to running, pilates, ice skating, anything as I used to be able to do them too.
    How are things going now? It’s coming up on a month post-op now?

Thanks again for sharing.

Carissa

• tyonkovich Rookie 44 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    19. Nov 18, 2006 2:08 PM (in response to coloradolora)

I wanted to thank you all for posting this thread, since you are giving me very good material to discuss at my doc's appointment.
    I've been battling my injury for 3 months. I got a diagnosis of hamstring sprain at the head of the muscle around the hip joint area, but my PT did not buy it...
    My symptoms are very similar to what I read here. I am scared, but at the same time, I feel that having a diagnosis is the best thing, even if I eventually have to face surgery.

Carissa - I wish you the best on your surgery! (((((healing vibes)))))

ybeal - I wonder if you have surgery... I am probably moving from Boston to Raleigh and will likely look for the doc you mentioned since he is familiar with the injury...

• runNYtrails Rookie 121 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    20. Nov 18, 2006 4:41 PM (in response to coloradolora)

If it is of any comfort or gives you any hope for recovery, I must add that I have had this surgery also and have had good results.  I am back to running at least as many miles as I did prior to the surgery though now I pretty much stick to softer ground and avoid pounding the downhills as much as possible.  Initially my Ortho doc told me 'no running' again. Ever.
    But I have made a better than expected come back and hope to be at it for a long , long time.    Post operatively I did not do any weight bearing activity for 1month and then was able to start walking after that.  I think I was running a  little bit w/in 2 months.  I was recovered enough to run the marathon distance w/in  6months and have since done some runs exceeding that distance.  Good Luck, i hope it goes well for You too !

• ekgunn Rookie 45 posts since
    May 26, 2005
    21. Nov 20, 2006 3:54 PM (in response to coloradolora)

I am so lucky to have found this post....about a year and a half ago I had a hip injury after I started training too soon after a marathon. So after a clear x-ray I took 8 weeks off and then slowly started running again and everything was good. I ran a spring marathon and then I just ran a marathon 4 wks ago. I felt really good so I pretty much jumped back into training and then the pain came back! It has to be more than a groin/adductor/hip flexor strain cuz I did the rest and ice thing without results. after reading all of your posts I can now suggest to my doc (who I see for the first time on monday) a possible labrum tear. I'm seeing a sports med ortho at Mass general hospital in Boston who specializes in hip injuries so we'll see. thanks again!

• Orthopodrunner Rookie 8 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    22. Nov 21, 2006 10:01 AM (in response to coloradolora)

Just thought I would add my 2 cents.  I am an orthopedic surgeon.  Although I do not do hip arthroscopy, I have treated many people (some runners) with labral tears.
    The labrum is piece of cartilage that surrounds your hip socket (acetabulum.) As others have posted it is relatively avascular so once injured it has little ability to repair itself. It can be a source for nagging hip (groin) pain especially in active people. In addition it can be responsible for some knee pain due to referred pain. Running with a labral tear should not be problematic in the short term 3-6 mo. However, there is at least a theoretical risk of extending an existing tear with long term running.
    Some patients do not have persistent symptoms so a trial of rest and crosstraining is reasonable for 3-6 months depending on your patience.  If it were my hip I would certainly try to run and be active after appropriate rest, PT etc. If this fails a hip arthroscopy is indicated.  Recovery from the surgery should not be extended for a uncomplicated arthroscopy.  Running within 2-3 months on a gradual basis is a reasonable expectation.  Do research regarding your doctor because as others have posted, there are not many "experts" in hip arthroscopy.  Good Luck!

• Nayola Rookie 3 posts since
    Sep 3, 2006
    23. Dec 21, 2007 11:47 AM (in response to coloradolora)

My husband had hip arthoscopy for a labral tear exactly a year ago.  His surgery was performed by a sports medicine doctor in Van Nuys, CA, who was highly recommended.

As of today, my husband is doing a LOT better but still is not 100% back to "normal," and definitely is not back to running like he once could. He still feels some discomfort in his hip on some days, especially if he tries to run for any length of time even on a treadmill. He is hopeful that some day he will be able to run pain free, but so far that isn't the case.

I know that everyone's recovery time is different depending on their exact circumstances. I was just wondering if there are other folks on the board who had this procedure a year or so ago who did not see "immediate" improvement (say, within the first 6 months to a year) but nonetheless did eventually return to running relatively pain free.

[http://This message has been edited by Nayola (edited Nov-22-2006).|http://This message has been edited by Nayola (edited Nov-22-2006).]

• carissaks Rookie 6 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    24. Nov 25, 2006 4:38 PM (in response to coloradolora)

I had every intention to post my reply prior to surgery. 

Tyonkovich, Thanks so much for wishes and healing vibes. The diagnosis was like a gift (almost literally – it was confirmed on my birthday). I finally had an answer, and one I didn’t question or doubt. Bitter-sweet moment.

runNytrails, After reading your message, I was able to let a breath out that I haven’t been able to. Yes, you’ve given me comfort and hope. Congratulations on your successful surgery and recovery. Marathon distance within 6 months! That’s fantastic and very encouraging. And I’m not even into marathon distances, but can very much appreciate what that means.

So I’m three days post-surgery and I have to tell you I’ve been nothing but pleasantly surprised. The pain was minimal in comparison to other surgeries I’ve had, and in fact with how much pain I was in when I first had the injury. I’m surprised with how quickly I was up on my feet. I’m on and off with the crutches in an effort not to over do it, but enough to work against the stiffness. Icing every so often. Also being careful of how I move and how much I move right now (rotation).
    Just took the bandages off today. I have a follow up with my doctor and start PT this coming week. Looking forward to it.

Thanks again to all those who’ve posted. I’ll keep you updated on my recovery.

Carissa

• runNYtrails Rookie 121 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    25. Nov 26, 2006 2:45 PM (in response to coloradolora)

Carissa - Glad to hear things are going well so far !  I'll be interested to see how things work out for You so keep us posted on your recovery and return to running !

Dec 14, 2007
    26. Nov 29, 2006 9:47 PM (in response to coloradolora)

Hey Carissa! I am happy for you. It sounds like you made the right decision and things will just get better from now on.

I finally went to a doc willing to cooperate. I told him straight: "I've been researching a lot about my symptoms and I would much appreciate if you could please rule out labral tear.

He totally agreed that it makes perfect sense and also wants to rule out muscle tear. So, on Tuesday I am finally having an arthrogram and seeing him later in the evening. Thankfully I work at a hospital and they were able to squeeze me in for the test and the follow up appt with the doc before my insurance expires.

Keep us posted about your progress!!! Very encouraging!

TY

• dsm2112 Rookie 2 posts since
    Nov 30, 2006
    27. Nov 30, 2006 11:55 AM (in response to coloradolora)

It is helpful to see others who are going through the same issues. 

I am a 40 year old casual runner who is fairly active. I have had pain in my right hip for 10 years and have been through multiple MRIs, PT, and doctors telling me i have bursitis/tendinitis but nothing wrong in my hip. In 1996 I had a hernia operation (which I think was misdiagnosis) from very bad groin pain.

Last summer a doctor ordered an MRI with contrast and a labral tear was found. I had an injection in August that helped relieve my pain for about 2 weeks. After a second opinion it was decided that arthroscopy would be a good solution.

I am having Hip Arthroscopy tomorrow morning and looking forward to hopefully relieving my pain.

Dec 14, 2007
    28. Dec 1, 2006 5:44 PM (in response to coloradolora)

dsm2112 - I hope you had a smooth procedure and recover well. Let us know how you're doing. (((((healing vibes)))))

• dsm2112 Rookie 2 posts since
    Nov 30, 2006
    29. Dec 3, 2006 9:35 AM (in response to coloradolora)

I had surgery Friday morning and it went very well.  I was taken to surgery around 8:40 and returned 10:45.  I was discharged at 12:45 pm.

My Doctor said it was the worst labral tear he had ever seen -- the back side of the labrum was shredded and the front part had a tear and large flap that was dislodged. He cut away and repaired the tears. The good news is that my doctor thinks my pain should be eliminated in the short run.

The bad news is that the damage was extensive and due to the years of rubbing on bone, there is arthritis and that I will need some type of hip replacement in the future. He thinks due to my age and relatively good joint structure it is likely that I would be a candidate for hip resurfacing or just placing a new cap over the joint rather than replace the joint.

The recovery has been much easier than expected. We got home around 2 pm Friday and I used crutches to get from the car to inside my home. I spent the rest of the day resting in bed and taking short walks to the bathroom without crutches. I took 3 sets of pills (oxycodone) friday afternoon and night to help me sleep.

Saturday I walked around without crutches and went up and down the stairs several times. I did not take any pills for pain. All I am taking now is 1 aspirin per day. This morning I woke up with significantly less pain.

I see the doctor a week from Monday to remove the stitches. He said that i can start to do some light exercises later this week.

I am glad to finally know after 10+ years that the source of my pain was real.  I am hopeful to have some relief in the short run.  I'll keep you posted on my recovery

1 2 3 4 ... 41 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...