Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

163448 Views 602 Replies Latest reply: Feb 7, 2013 9:53 AM by DD1509 Go to original post 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 41 Previous Next
  • Brownie028 Rookie 13 posts since
    Jan 25, 2007
    Currently Being Moderated
    60. Feb 11, 2007 9:28 PM (in response to coloradolora)
    Re: Hip Arthroscopy & Labral Tear: Please help!

Hello E2S,

Hmmmm. So it's your left hip, right? What exactly is this ball-of-foot motion you used? Also describe those 'foot-drops' and 'rapid leg lift/drops' more; I wonder what you were doing those for anyway?

Brownie

• rru2s Rookie 8 posts since
    Oct 4, 2005
    61. Feb 12, 2007 8:19 AM (in response to coloradolora)

quote:

So it's your left hip, right? What exactly is this ball-of-foot motion you used? Also describe those 'foot-drops' and 'rapid leg lift/drops' more; I wonder what you were doing those for anyway?[/B]

My RIGHT hip was injured 12/31/06, don't know if somehow related to compensating after meniscal tear to LEFT knee 7/31/05. I'm getting worried as the rehab for knee was complete, but after sitting around with hip injury for 6 weeks knee motions seem less smooth.

BALL-OF-FOOT running is exactly the Pose Method (www.Posetech.Com), nothing more.

Two types of drills that I do before each run are impact intensive: Play the link "Warm-Up" and look at the rapid one-legged foot drops shown 40% into the movie (I do two sets of 60 on each leg, about one per second). I also do the forward-leaning foot drop shown 60% into the movie (I do one set of 45 on each leg, a little faster than one per second). LINK:

http://www.posetech.com/video/index.php/weblog/archives/P27/[/URL" target="_blank">

• Orthopodrunner Rookie 8 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    62. Feb 13, 2007 8:36 AM (in response to coloradolora)

rru2s,
    The approach you are taking seems reasonable. Avoiding high impact training for 6 weeks may resolve the problem if it is not structural (labral tear, stress fx)
    Your meniscal tear may flare from time to time since they may be stable and not painful but they rarely heal completely.
    Most active pts like yourself find a conservative program like the one you are doing maddening especially without definitive diagnostic tests (MRI)
    I could certainly see why you would want to see an OS just to be as informed as possible regarding your injury.  If you are uncomfortable/impatient about your 6 week layoff (should be close to 6 weeks now) seeing an OS is reasonable +/- MRI.

• Yeehaaaa Rookie 2 posts since
    Feb 5, 2007
    63. Feb 17, 2007 1:49 PM (in response to coloradolora)

Brownie and all of my fellow hip sufferers,

Thanks you for responding back to me. Sorry it has been awhile since i got on this thread. I just had x rays done again for Dr. Phillipon. They have to have xrays and some other stuff before they see you. I have been talking to Madeline at the Steadmand Hawkins Clinic in Vail and she has been great. I can't wait to go see them. They found a large bone fragment in my hip joint after doing xrays last week. They want to do a CT Scan to get a better idea of what is going on. I'm wondering if the first surgeon that cut off some of my labrum missed the bone fragment.

Thanks,
    Ryan

• valleyrunner Rookie 6 posts since
    Apr 23, 2006
    64. Feb 19, 2007 12:25 PM (in response to coloradolora)

Hi everyone,

Well, after this nine month build up...I had my labral surgery on Feb 8th at Steadman Hawkins with Dr. PhilipponWhat was estimated to be a two hour 'standard' labral repair surgery, turned into a five hour surgery due to issues they found when they went in (I ended up with the bone shaving, but also an IT skin graftI was pretty shredded in therethey said the surgery is generally two sutures and I came out with six sutures.) I'm about 11 days out of surgery nowif anyone is going to do this thing, write me first! I'm very optimistic, but the amount of time out of work, dependant, the amount of care that's required (and all of this for an extensive amount of time) is impossible to over-estimateit is impossible to do this procedure, as his protocol indicates, without a 24 hour caretakerwhich I am lucky to have.
    Today I just started my 'week two' PT exercises and I'm feeling excited with very small victoriesfor instance, being 'allowed' to bend past 90 degrees! The 'full return' to sports dates are 7 months out, but my PT schedule has me possibly swimming in a month or so. Anywaylots I could go on about, but just wanted to thank everyone and offer myself as a resource for anyone going into this thing---Best, Laura

• Jeepin Rookie 2 posts since
    Feb 22, 2007
    65. Feb 22, 2007 2:32 PM (in response to coloradolora)

I've had hip pain for more than a year and I just returned from an appoinment with my physical therapist who informed me, after reviewing my MRI results, that I have a labral tear and an osteochondral defect.  Tomorrow I'll be making my appointment for a consultation with a surgeon in the DC area.  I wasn't going to bother with the surgery but after reading these posts I think I might!

• marathon15 Rookie 36 posts since
    Jun 8, 2007
    67. Jun 8, 2007 9:27 PM (in response to coloradolora)

I have been reading your responses but I am writing for the first time. I have been a runner for 20+ years and have run 15 marathons over the past 10 years. I ran a fall marathon and then started having hip pain in Nov/Dec. A friend of mine had a torn labrum a few years agothe first time I ever heard of it. But because of her, I was able to ask the doc for an MRI with dyeI was diagnosed with a labral tear with arthritic changes and FAI(Femoral Acetabular Impingement) . I have been seeing a doctor at MGH-Dr. Asnis. We started with a cortisone injection into my hip in March which I was told  was done for pain relief as well as for diagnostic purposes. Right after I had the injection, I started seeing a PT at MGH. I was able to run again and Garth, my PT was working on strengthening and stabilizing my hip. I ran pain free for 2 months but my pain returned about 3 weeks ago. The diagnostic part of the shot was that it showed that my pain was not just a result of inflammation but was in fact a result of the tear and/or the impingement. I am now scheduled for surgery in August to repair the tear, clean out the joint and smooth down the femoral bone. I was fitted with a brace today and was told I would have to wear  this post-operative hip brace for 10 days to 4 weeks following surgery. I was also told that I would have a machine at home for continuous ROM. I do think I'm doing the right thing. Dr. Asnis doesn't believe that I will return to marathoning but I am holding out hope that I will run again pain free. I would love to hear from someone who may have had this surgery at MGH and maybe even someone who has had Dr. Asnis. I am impressed with him-he is young but he is trained in hip arthroscopy and my orthopedist told me that the younger guys are the ones that are coming through med school trained in this technique. He told me that the surgery would be done in Waltham and although MGH is a teaching hospital-he doesn't allow the residents to take part in the surgery--just to observe. Please give me any feedback for those who may have gone through the same thing I am. I feel some confidence reading about some of the recoveries and return to running. Sue

• mags16426 Rookie 10 posts since
    Jul 11, 2006
    68. Jun 9, 2007 10:06 AM (in response to coloradolora)

I had the labral tear surgery and am doing well.  I had the brace and machine post-surgery.  I think I used the machine for 3-4 weeks.  The same with the brace.  I had this contraption that I had to use when I slept too so my hip wouldn't turn inward.  It was a long recovery - I don't think I was running comfortably for about 3 months.  And short runs at that.  However, with patience and PT, I got back into it and am fine.  I have done several half marathons since iwth no problems.  Now, I am not a fast runner and never was, but have not had trouble with my  hip and the racing I do.  I have never done a marathon but it's my goal to do one.  I don't think I'll have any trouble.  Just don't hold yourself to a time table.  I had my surgery done at UPMC in Pittsburgh - Dr. Phillipon.  He's no longer there - he's in Colorado now, I think.  But anyways, he was very good.  I think it's VERY important for you to have a great physical therapist.  That's the key.  Good luck to you.

• marathon15 Rookie 36 posts since
    Jun 8, 2007
    69. Jun 15, 2007 3:22 AM (in response to coloradolora)

It is reassuring to hear that you are back running. How long ago was your surgery? And did they repair the tear or just debride the joint? I was told that if possible, they will try to 'stitch' the labrum back together, but if it is badly torn, they will just clean it up. Besides the torn labrum, I have bone on bone because of arthritic changes. During the surgery, they are going to smooth down the head of the femur--did you have that problem as well? I was also told that with recovery, I should be able to run again but not marathons. What did your doctor tell you? Thanks for your help.

• mags16426 Rookie 10 posts since
    Jul 11, 2006
    70. Jun 15, 2007 12:03 PM (in response to coloradolora)

Hi again.  My surgery was in 2003.  As far as how long the surgery was, I really don't remember.  They did sew the labrum tear and cleaned up.  Now, I did not have the femur thing you talked about. When I asked my doctor about running, he said no problem and that I should be able to run any distances.  He had done this same surgery to an olympic marathoner (I don't know who it was), but since I didn't know the name I don't know if she did more marathons.  I honestly think I'll be able to do a marathon with no problems.  Not fast, as I said, but not a slow poke either!  Good luck.

• jerseygirl002 Rookie 8 posts since
    Jun 15, 2007
    71. Jun 15, 2007 6:37 PM (in response to coloradolora)

Hi all...

I just wanted to say hello and introduce myself. I am 19 and dislocated & fractured my hip in July 2006 in a freak waterskiing accident.

I'll keep it short for now, but I am finally getting an MR arthrogram next Thursday to find out why I am still in so much pain. The OS thinks it might be a labral tear.

I'm terrified. This injury has already put my life in upheaval, and to think that it might be more serious than I thought (and that surgery might be necessary) has got me going crazy. I was extremely active and still hope to be, but I've been told by my PT to lay off of it until we know what's wrong.

I just wanted to say I am SO glad I found this post. I know I'm younger than most people who have posted, but it makes me feel so much better hearing about your stories.

I hope everyone is doing well, and thanks again,
    Christine

• jocko1886 Rookie 1 posts since
    Jun 15, 2007
    72. Jun 15, 2007 7:28 PM (in response to coloradolora)

Jersey Girl,.

I went through all of that whenever I was 12 (now 20)(freak skating accident). And after one of the operations i was good for a while, then about 6 months later I began to have a lot of pain again. The doctors were stumped and couldn't figure anything out with x-rays mri's arthrograms...and every other test in there arsenal. At this point we were all desperate especially me. So they went in and removed all of the pins lug-nuts plates and screws out of me, tested everything. Here the cause was I had a staph infection in the equipment.

It sounds horrible i know but that was the best place to get one (if there is a best place) Bc of the plate and bone it created a self contained environment so well that the infection couldnt spread elsewere. My doctors were shocked and had never seen it before, bc of how long it took b4 i felt it.

Keeping ur options open and if you have equipment in your hip, maybe you cold suggest to them a biopsy.

Just throwing my experience out there, hope they figure out soon.

• fancyshorts Rookie 28 posts since
    Jul 18, 2003
    73. Jun 17, 2007 10:27 AM (in response to coloradolora)

Hi all,

I'm so happy this post was started up again- I would love to start a "support post" if anyone is interested. I have been dealing with docs and evals since Aug, and they finally determined it was a labral tear after 3 MRIs and a CT scan. I am now working with Dr. Bryan Kelly out of NYC and hopefully will have the surgery end of August (getting married Aug 11th, so this injury has REALLY put a cramp in my plans).

What are those of you pre-op doing to keep busy? pretty much everything seems aggrevates it, including walking over a mile. was aqua jogging religiously but that made it worse. (just found out about a kayaking club in the area so might give that a go!)

Now i'm sticking to light roller blading and going on the exercise bike a couple times a week. miss the running, and would love to hear from those of you who are coping!!

also, i'm pretty nervous about the surgery- have most of you been back to normal w/the running after a yr post-op? I'm in my late 20s and in decent shape. scared this might take me out of the racing scene altogether.

thanks for your support!

fancyshorts

• kristina067 Rookie 20 posts since
    May 12, 2007
    74. Jun 18, 2007 2:03 PM (in response to coloradolora)

I had my surgery last week. I had minor symphoms leading up to the surgery and was surprised to hear that I had a large tear and taken care of with debridement. I also had osteochondroplasty pincer, iliopspas release and synovectomy. I believe it will be awhile before I can run again.

1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 41 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...