Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

5150 Views 20 Replies Latest reply: Jul 9, 2011 11:58 AM by Designeer RSS 1 2 Previous Next
RyanA1084 Rookie 5 posts since
Jun 28, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Jun 28, 2011 5:26 PM

IT Band Won't Heal

Hi everyone!

Back in February I started running and got a little too overzealous: I did too much too fast in lousy shoes and ended up with an aching pain on the outside of my right knee. I didn't run for a while and the pain went away, but since then every time I run it acts up again within a mile or so.

I did some research and all of my symptoms matched iliotibial band syndrome. Just to be sure, last month I finally went to a physical therapist (I'm a graduate student, so it's just a matter of making an appointment and walking across campus) and they gave me some strengthening exercises to do. Unfortunately, doing these exercises has made things worse, not better! instead of only having pain when I run, now my knee acts up after doing these exercises, after sitting in one position too long, sometimes when riding my bike, etc. It's frustrating! On a follow-up with the PT she also noticed that my arches fall when I stand, so she prescribed orthotics (again, hooray for student health insurance, which covered all but $5!). I just picked up the orthotics today, so we'll see if they help, but I am concerned about how slow my knee is to heal. The pain is generally pretty minor, but it doesn't go away very quickly, and when I try things that are supposed to make it better, it gets worse! I'm tempted to just return to my sedentary graduate student lifestyle and hold off on doing all these exercises until I'm back to where I was before going to physical therapy. At least then I could trust my knees for day-to-day stuff.

Has anyone else here had trouble with very slow recovery from IT band injury? Any words of wisdom?

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,336 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    1. Jun 28, 2011 6:48 PM (in response to RyanA1084)
    Re: IT Band Won't Heal

Here are a couple of recent threads that discuss ITBS.

http://community.active.com/thread/118902

http://community.active.com/thread/110639

Len

Len

• jeljohns Pro 106 posts since
    Jan 4, 2011
    2. Jun 28, 2011 7:07 PM (in response to RyanA1084)

I wish I had some positive advice, but I've been dealing with IT band for going on three months now.

Mine also got worse when I started the PT exercises. I didn't run for two months. I went to a massage therapist twice a week, plus Graston's/ART from the PT. Finally after two months I was allowed to run/walk. I had one week pain free and then I attempted a three mile run and now it is back again. Mine is caused by a weak hip that is putting stress on the IT band. After two months of exercises it's still not strong enough for running.  You need to figure out the root of the problem (not just heal the IT band) and unfortunately the body takes a long time to heal.

I also have flat arches. Although I'm not sure how I feel about barefoot running, I know that barefoot walking has helped strengthen my feet. Basically when I am home I have no shoes on. I do housework, yardwork, ect. with no shoes on. I also do my PT exercises and go to strength training class without shoes on. I don't really trust orthotics. Also, don't wear flip flops! My feet are so much better since throwing those away.

I would suggest if other activities bother your knee try some strength training with weights or bands. I was feeling the same way as you (wanting to give up and go back to the couch) but I'm not ready to throw in the towel just yet!

• LateRun Amateur 11 posts since
    Jun 24, 2011
    4. Jun 28, 2011 7:55 PM (in response to RyanA1084)

I think ITBS is my issue.  (Still trying to confirm it.)

And, it's been this way for 11 weeks and I'm still fighting it.

I'm not giving up yet.  Have you tried the foam roller?

Jan 4, 2011
    6. Jun 29, 2011 5:29 AM (in response to LateRun)

In my case it was so bad I had knots of scar tissue along the IT band. My PT said the foam roller wouldn't help because it just rolls on top of the scars. I had to have multiple Graston's treatments to break up the tissue. Hurts like heck, but my band felt much better after the swelling and bruising went away.

For PT exercises I don't have anything that irritates my knee. I mostly do hip exercises like the clam shell on the floor. After two months my PT graduated me to one legged squats, but I have to hold on to the wall to assist my hip. I also do a lot of core work, because my ab muscles are pretty lazy two. After two months of ab work they are just now getting slightly stronger. I'm not how your body is, but mine seems VERY resistant to change, which is frustrating!

• Damien Howell Legend 312 posts since
    Feb 27, 2008
    7. Jun 29, 2011 7:08 AM (in response to RyanA1084)

Paul Ingram who writes a blog in laymans language and the blog is evidence based has a written IT band syndrome. I believe you will find some helpful information.

Damien Howell PT, DPT, OCS - www.damienhowellpt.com 

• J mck Rookie 3 posts since
    Apr 16, 2008
    8. Jun 29, 2011 9:10 AM (in response to RyanA1084)

http://http://www.coreperformance.com/knowledge/injury-pain/iliotibial-band-friction-syndrome.html

I had hip pain so bad that some times I had to stop for a two or three minutes untill the pain went away.  This lasted for about a year not three days or a week like it says on most web pages. What I think that really helped me was the foam roller, it hurt like crazy at first but just took some time and frustration because I could not run. Also check your running shoes, they may have to much cushion. That was another problem that I was told at a running shoe store. Hope this web page helps.

Jan 4, 2011
    9. Jun 29, 2011 11:08 AM (in response to Damien Howell)

Looks interesting, but you have to pay to read it (which makes me skeptical). Have you actually purchased the entire article?

• J mck Rookie 3 posts since
    Apr 16, 2008
    10. Jun 29, 2011 12:56 PM (in response to jeljohns)

No I did not, but you can try going to yahoo and type iliotibial band friction syndrome. Thats how I found that page, don't know why it wont work when I try to open it from this community page.

Jan 4, 2011
    11. Jun 29, 2011 12:58 PM (in response to J mck)

Sorry, I was referring to Damien's post.

• Designeer Pro 125 posts since
    Jan 28, 2010
    12. Jul 7, 2011 7:12 PM (in response to RyanA1084)

I give a completely different advice, I have been posting about my journey to heal after a horrific bicycle accident.   It included left foot (neuroma and dislocated toe), MAMBO knee smash into the concrete right where the IT band attaches and of course the shoulder, a/c joint.....oh what fun its been......even a long period where I was calling the suicide hot line.............nice.

I tried everything to heal my beaten up IT band, I will wager it was the worst case of any on this site...............and you know what has cured it to the point I do fairly heave squats with weights now?  PROLOTHERAPY..............I am not a salesman..........I am in the economically deprived architecture field, all I gain from telling you about it is maybe better karma, which I need desperately, I must of been a bad guy last lifetime...........

• Designeer Pro 125 posts since
    Jan 28, 2010
    14. Jul 8, 2011 6:10 AM (in response to RyanA1084)

New evidence shows that ice and anti-inflammatories give away your body's ability to heal itself in which inflammation is the key to that healing...............this is the basis of prolo but I will not persist

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points