Skip navigation

NEED HELP?|

9707 Views 23 Replies Latest reply: Jun 1, 2012 1:11 PM by BlackHillsMom 1 2 Previous Next
BlackHillsMom Amateur 26 posts since
Jun 29, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Jun 29, 2011 9:03 AM

Thinking About Trying This Thing

Hi there. I am a 35 yr old mom of two. I have an office job where I sit for very long periods, which has taken a toll recently. I am trying to get back in shape. I have been getting back to the gym the last couple of weeks, and it feels great. My body really craves it. I recently came across info on the Iron Girl Sprint Triathlon...it will be in a location just a few hours away from me at the end of August, so I got to thinking...could I do that? IDK. Par tof me really want to do it, and it would be a great motivator for getting in shape. I haven't ridden a bike or swam in years, and I am not a runner. Am I crazy for even thinking about it?

• Julie Ann Hackett Legend 228 posts since
    Nov 20, 2007
    1. Jun 29, 2011 9:35 AM (in response to BlackHillsMom)
    Re: Thinking About Trying This Thing

You aren't crazy!  Its great to have a goal like a race to motivate you to get back in shape.  The Iron Girl Sprint Tri was my first triathlon and three years later I'm still hooked.  When I did mine, it came with a free training plan on Active which was very helpful since I had no idea where to start.  I don't think they do the freebie anymore, but I would highly recommend purchasing one of the training plans.  I think its about $30.  If Iron Girl still offers the mentors, sign up for that and you'll have someone local to go to with all of your questions - that person might even organzie some group trainings so you can meet others who are beginners.  Another great way to learn more about the sport is to check out your local tri shop or bike shop and see if they have any clinics.  My local bike shop had free "bike 101" and "tri 101" clinics.  You might even make a few friends at the clinic that you can train with.  I met a girl at one of the clinics who was training for her first race too and we are still racing together 3 years later.  If you have a chance to volunteer or just watch a race before you do one that will give you a good idea of what to expect on race day.  I hope to hear that you've signed up.  Iron Girl is a great venue for a first race.  Best of luck with your fitness journey which ever path you take.

• Niftygirl16 Expert 54 posts since
    Feb 9, 2011
    3. Jun 29, 2011 1:56 PM (in response to BlackHillsMom)

Hello there!

I live in a small town as well and I have been training for my first sprint tri alone too.  I just signed up for it before really telling anyone I was doing it.  I think it was better that way because no one had the chance to try to talk me out of it or try to make me question myself.  It really has motivated me to work harder and do things I really haven't done.......such as swimming.  I found a local community college that has cheap "lap swim" hours and I have been doing that.  The first night I felt like a kid on his first day of high school.  I was SO nervous!  But I think training by myself has also given me alot of confidence that I didn't really know I had.  I am going for a bike ride with a friend tonight (she is going to do the bike portion) but other than that I have done it all on my own.  YOU CAN TOO!

But like the other poster said, check around.  You never know!  And at the end of it all, now matter where you finish in the standings........YOU will officially be a triathlete .

I say if it's something you want to do.......go for it!

Keep us posted!

Michelle

"At the end of every hard earned day people find some reason to believe."

Completed Races:

• 10/31/10 - Monster Mini Dash 5k (Providence, RI) - TIME 33.54
    • 3/19/11 - St. Pat's 5k (Providence, RI) - TIME 31:51

• 8/7/11 - Jerseygirl Sprint Tri (Long Branch, NJ) 1:32:23
    • 10/2/11 - Wish it, Dream it, Du it Duathlon (Smithfield, RI) 1:50:33
    Feb 9, 2011
    5. Jun 30, 2011 10:14 AM (in response to BlackHillsMom)

I can understand the time crunch with it being two months away and with you not having the background in the disciplines.  Not sure where you live but check to see if there are other events that you can use as a stepping stone like a 5k.  It really is a good place to start because it gives you a goal and most have a run/walk contingent so there really isn't any pressure.  You can add some biking to your training after that and you'll be well on your way even if you set the tri as a goal for next year.  That is exactly what I did.  I saw a triathlon advertised at the beach community I vacation at in August.  I thought it looked like something to shoot for.  I signed up for a 5k in September of last year and LOVED it!  And this is coming from someone who dispised running.  Then I thought back on that tri and decided to just go for it knowing I had plenty of time to train.

Check to see what is available.  I live in Rhode Island which in itself is a small place and there really are alot of these events around here so I have a feeling when you start digging you will find the same in your area.

Michelle

Completed Races:

• Moriates Legend 297 posts since
    Jul 19, 2008
    7. Jul 5, 2011 7:11 AM (in response to BlackHillsMom)

Signup, set your goal and do not look back.

GREG C. MORIATES

Owner/Coach - LET ME HELP YOU ACHIEVE GREATNESS!

GCM Endurance

www.GCMEndurance.com

Team/Club Xtreme Multisports, Inc.

www.xtrememultisports.com

Blog: http://xtrememultisports.tumblr.com/

Become a Fan: http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Xtreme-Multisports/117254468321101?ref=sgm

Twitter: http://twitter.com/xtrememulti

Sponsors:

VCRC Bikes | FFWD | Synergy Sports| SportMulti | Skins USA | Rudy Project | Athletes Honey Milk | Honey Stinger | Tri Life Gear

• IronMakeover Community Moderator 738 posts since
    Jul 7, 2008
    8. Jul 8, 2011 9:38 AM (in response to BlackHillsMom)

Hi Lisa/Blackhillsmom,

I'm happy to read the encouragement within the responses here. :-)  Very cool that you're looking at your first tri (now or later) and that an IronGirl event is near. I did IronGirl Racine last summer and was impressed with the logistics and race overall.

I agree with your idea to sign up for adult swim lessons. I've taken a ton of courses/seminars, I love learning and swimming is an area where I expect to learn new things for decades! I also love our masters swim program.

Another option is to grab two friends and sign up for a relay. You each pick the segment that you want most and compete as a relay. It's a great way to check out the sport and get started even if you don't have all the experience or equipment to do a whole yet. Triathlon has SO many great options!!!

Keep in touch here & add me on active or facebook if you'd like.

Happy Friday,

Sara

Sara Cox Landolt

http://www.ironmakeover.blogspot.com/

• mjm 62 Pro 91 posts since
    May 18, 2008
    10. Mar 8, 2012 11:26 AM (in response to BlackHillsMom)

Lisa,glad you have started on the road to fitness!!Triathlon is very doable you just have to be good at time management .I'm married 2 kids 2 jobs but I can always find an hour to train sometimes a little longer on the weekends. a 10 mile bike followed by a 4 mile run takes me about an hour,.5 mile swim Sat/Sun morning then a little run, the trick is finding what works.I'll sometimes take a half a day off on Friday and do a little Tri.swim 30 mins go home get my bike do 20 miles then a 4 mile run all before the gang gets home from work/school.Don't sell yourself short there's an athlete in there somewhere it just takes some looking,best of luck,Mike

Cape Coral Yacht club sprint 1:03

FGCU sprint 1:03

Columbus Marathon 3:50-2010

Gator Half Ironman 5:43-2009

Venice sprint 1:09/25th overall

Captiva sprint 1:04

• NzAndy Pro 77 posts since
    Oct 23, 2010
    11. Mar 8, 2012 2:05 PM (in response to BlackHillsMom)

One of the great things about triathlons is there's so many to choose from.  I did one Sunday that was indoors and was 15 minutes per leg.  There are other really short ones available too which are ideal for getting started.  You can also find other options like duathlon (run-bike-run) and aquathons (swim-run).  You should also have some sort of goal in mind for what you want to accomplish on the day.  If you don't care about your final time then just concentrate on finishing which takes a LOT of pressure off you and is actually a pretty common goal.  I still do that with my longer efforts.

I'll assume you're going to start with a sprint or smaller which is really good news for a busy schedule.  You can already do the 5k (it doesn't matter if you walk some, I've done and seen plenty of walking in my tri's).  If you haven't started swimming yet be sure to get some instruction because proper technique is crucial.  Twice a week for 4 weeks will have you cruising like Flipper.  The bike is usually something you can get by on without a lot of extra work, depending on the course.  Just half an hour on each twice a week will get you ready for a short tri.  If you can combine them together that's ideal.

For my summer schedule I'm usually out at dawn running with my dog.  It's just under 5 miles to work so I bike more than I drive.  I get in some swims where I can and it works well enough for me to feel confident in tackling a short course.  You don't need massively long training times to be able to improve.  More is better to a point, but you need time to recover too so start easy and just go from there.

I don't think you're that far from being able to reach your goal.  Go for it and let us know how it goes for you.

Andy

Feb 9, 2011
    14. Mar 9, 2012 6:58 AM (in response to BlackHillsMom)

When I did my first tri (sprint distance) I only swam once a week and I did ok.  Like someone said earlier, if your goal is to just finish then you don't have to worry about your time so much.  Most races have "swim angels" in the form of either lifeguards on surf-boards, kayaks or hanging out with those "noodles" for you to hang onto if you need a break.  But I'll tell ya.......once that gun goes off and you hit the water your adrenaline takes over and you'd be surprised what you can do!  Once I finished the swim I felt as though I could do anything!

My race is in July and I'm going to start training April 1st.  I will still most likely do one night of swimming just because it's not my favorite thing in the world.  Hopefully I'll get more ocean swims in before the race as I just bought my first tri-specific wetsuit and I'm excited to try it out!!

You can SO do this!!  Once you sign up and put your mind to it you'll be amazed at what you can do!  And with a sprint distance you won't need to go insane with the training.  It's a good distance to get your feet wet without a ton of pressure and then you can see if you like it or not.  You'll either be like "ok, I did it and I'm not doing it again" or "Wow!  That was so much fun and I can't wait to do another!"  You're going to feel GREAT when you've completed your first race

Good luck and keep us posted!  We can help each other along.

Michelle

Completed Races:

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...