Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1045 Views 2 Replies Latest reply: Jul 7, 2011 7:17 PM by See CB Run RSS
See CB Run Rookie 2 posts since
Jun 26, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Jul 6, 2011 9:49 PM

Princess Run Half Marathon at Disney World-Who's with me?

I have been running for about a month. I love the feeling of accomplishment that running gives me. I ran my first 5K back in October 2010, Race for the Cure. I planned on walking that day, but my son begged me to run. So I ran. And I could barely walk the next two days. Anywho, in June, a friend called me and asked me to join her for the Princess Run at Disney World in February, 2012. I was shocked that she would ask me. But then I though, "Why not?" I started out running one mile and have worked up to four miles. I don't know much about training for a half marathon. I have a bit of weight that I would like to drop. I am most concerned about staying motivated to keep on working toward my goal. Ideally, I would like to run three days a week and cross train once or twice a week. I have eight months to go and a lot of ground to cover. I know that I can do this. I can't wait to cross that finish line.

• thoroughbred21 Amateur 19 posts since
    Jun 11, 2011

Very exciting!  That looks like a very fun race -- all through the Magic Kingdom and Epcot Center.

I too am using a half-marathon as a training motivator.  I signed up for the Rock and Roll half in St. Louis MO October 23 2011.  (My son lives in St. Louis so at the very least I will get to visit with him...but this marathon and half include rock bands at each mile interval so I think the atmosphere will be party-like.).

I am using the Hal Higdon half-marathon training plan which does include some cross-training days as you specified, and gradually increases your distance over the space of about 3 months.  I'm liking it quite well. You have allowed a generous amount of time, so you could adjust the schedule accordingly.

Here's a link in case you want to check it out:

http://www.halhigdon.com/halfmarathon/novice.htm

Best wishes in your training plan and hope the Princess goes well for you!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points