Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

2104 Views 6 Replies Latest reply: Jul 15, 2011 3:31 PM by SusiSez RSS
Katie21784 Pro 128 posts since
Apr 5, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Jul 7, 2011 11:17 AM

Odor from Shorts?

I sweat when I run...a LOT.  And I sweat all over.  I know that's not lady like, but that's just how it is when you live in Mississippi and are running in this heat and humidity.  The problem I'm having is the odor about 30 minutes to an hour after my run.  It seems to mostly be coming from my shorts...which I can see, because half the time when I finish a run, it looks like I peed in my shorts from the sweat.  (I know this isnt' a pleasant topic, but hopefully besides helping me it will help someone else!)  I've been wearing the Under Armour shorts which are supposed to have the anti-odor technology.  I've also have a couple pair of the Nike Tempo shorts which do the same thing.  Even though my shirts and sports bras get just as wet, for what ever reason, they don't seem to have as much of an odor as my shorts.  So is there a different brand of shorts I could wear that would block the odor better or is there anything else I can do to help with the odor?  Or am I just a freak and the only one that has this problem?

Follow me on Twitter: @KatieRUNning

Race Results

6/4/11 - Salvation Army Dash From Disaster 2 Mile Run - 18:55.5

6/25/11 - Tomato Festival 5K - 28:15

7/4/11 - The Great Commission 4 Miler - 37:30 (2nd place in my age group)

7/9/11 - Swinging Bridge 5K - 31:12

7/16/11 - Hit The Bricks 5K - 28:36

8/6/11 - Run For The Son 5K

Find me and follow my training on www.mapmyfitness.com by searching for katie21784@gmail.com

• Run4Coffee Pro 143 posts since
    Feb 1, 2011
    1. Jul 9, 2011 7:29 AM (in response to Katie21784)
    Re: Odor from Shorts?

Katie,

I can be the foods you eat or drink.  Garlic?  Pizza?  It happens to me too.  I sweat really bad even at 57 degree out on my morning runs.  I eat like a pig though.  lol  No diet in my life...That's why I run!

• dwm082 Community Moderator 1,063 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    2. Jul 10, 2011 2:52 AM (in response to Katie21784)

Have you tried using any of the specialty detergents? Products like Penguin Sport Wash, Win, Pro Wash, or Sports Suds are a little pricey, but they're generally pretty effective. I've been using Sports Suds and it's done a nice job with my stinky running clothes.

One thing that's interesting about the Sports Suds product is that the manufacturer suggests that you run a couple of loads of old towels or rags with a double-strength dose of Sports Suds to eliminate residue from your washer. I ignored that the first time, and my clothes were still pretty stinky. I followed their suggestion and the next load came out perfectly.

I've had decent results with all of the other products. If I had to pick one of the others, I'd go with Pro Wash.

I've read other suggestions about using vinegar or baking soda, but I haven't tried either. See: http://running.about.com/od/shoesapparelandgear/f/smellyclothes.htm

Let us know if you try any of these and whether they work for you!

Don

2012 Race Schedule

Providence Marathon (4:48:55)

Buffalo Half-Marathon (2:03:16)

Chicago Marathon (October 7)

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,389 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    3. Jul 10, 2011 5:30 AM (in response to dwm082)

If you're talking about removing the odor during the wash, Febreze Laundry Odor Eliminator does a good job, even using less than the recommended amount.

Len

Len

• racebug313 Amateur 25 posts since
    Oct 18, 2010
    5. Jul 11, 2011 8:56 AM (in response to Katie21784)

i sweat more than i thought was humanly possible so i can relate, especially here in the florida heat and humidity!  i do love tide sport with febreeze for all my running gear, and another thought might be to wear a running skirt... ?  at first i didn't think i would like them, but i'm not a fan of shorts on me and had to find something cooler.  they might be a nice option if you have to go out after a run- won't see as much sweat marks and the skirt layer might also mask a bit of the smell.  i've gotten them online, at new balance, and recently found a few i really liked at target for less than $20 with the ipod/key pocket even!

good luck!

You have a choice- you can throw in the towel, or use it to wipe the sweat off your face

Crossed the line...

Komen Race for the Cure 10K: 1:08

Spartan Challenge 5K + obstacles: 33:05

Creaky Bones 5K: 30:59

St Pete Turkey Trot 10K- 1:07

Gasparilla Half Marathon (1st!)- 2:42

Coming up:

Oct-       Chicago Marathon

• SusiSez Amateur 29 posts since
    Apr 15, 2011
    6. Jul 15, 2011 3:31 PM (in response to Katie21784)

Oh, Katie! I'm so glad it's not just me! But I don't have the excuse of living in the super-humid South any more. Don't apologize for the topic--as you can see multiple people have concerns about it and we've all tried to develop a strategy.

For me it's the bras--they just get icky. I've taken to using Felsnaptha laundry soap. I have to rub the shorts and sports bras by hand with it, but it cuts the sweat smel pretty well. I also sometimes add a good size scoop of plain baking soda to the washing machine. I also find that air-drying the clothing outside after putting them through this treatment makes a difference. I shy away from the Febreeze and other chemical stuff because I have super-sensisitve skin; however, one of my good friends uses the Tide w/ Febreeze on her and her husband's workout clothing.

Good luck.

Susana

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points