Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

39471 Views 284 Replies Latest reply: Oct 6, 2011 5:47 PM by midwifemom RSS Go to original post 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 Previous Next
  • Shayronnie Amateur 12 posts since
    Aug 2, 2011
    Currently Being Moderated
    270. Sep 5, 2011 8:35 PM (in response to njdollhouse)
    Re: July 11th C25K!! Who else is running!?

I’m still in!  I finished W6D1 today.  It went okay.  I must say I was so surprised with W5D3.  I was pretty much dreading it.  I mean, 20 minutes nonstop!  Are you kidding me?  But I did it and I really felt like I could have kept on running.  Yeah me!  I am right on track to finish this program and run my scheduled 5K later this month.

As far as my reward for finishing this program?  I think a new pair of running shoes will be the perfect gift to myself.

NjDollhouse – You should try DailyMile.com.  Very easy way to keep track of your route & pace. 

Ailie13 – Your race, your pace.  Keep up the good work!

MidwifeMom – Hope you are feeling better soon!

ThinBound – Sorry to hear running is out for you.  I know at this point in the program, I am slightly addicted to running.  It would be hard to have it taken away.
    ThickGirlRuns – You are doing awesome!  I hear you on the baseball cap.  I don’t really like hats but seem to be staring directly in the rising sun on my runs lately.  I am thinking a visor for me. 
  • capivara Amateur 20 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    271. Sep 6, 2011 3:45 AM (in response to ThinBound (Jaime))

Hi everybody,

I'm reading the posts and celebrating successes and understanding the setbacks.  We have been on vacation, traveling to visit family for a while, and I have not gotten any runs in.  Last I completed I believe was W7D1, and it went slowly but fine.  We won't be back for a while yet so my plan is to move back to week 3 or 4 and pick it up again when we return.  You know how it is on vacation with family! - eating a lot, not watching the calories, etc but great fun.  The schedule is not important to me, I know I will finish C25k when I get back, it will just take me longer.  Jamie - sorry about your news, hope you can develop another fun fitness plan.  Hang in there everybody.  I have an early November 5k fun run in mind, can everybody post when they do a fun run?  That will be inspirational.

• thickgirlruns Amateur 26 posts since
    Aug 8, 2011
    272. Sep 6, 2011 4:46 AM (in response to Shayronnie)

Good Morning Ladies...

Well...I'm still alive and kicking and I have to say, yesterday I truly felt like a runner.  I was determined to get outside in the cool weather and rain...and run.  Lo and behold I did.  I repeated W8D3 to see if I could make it the full 28 minutes, and I did.  I went to my new place that I run, in the rain, grabbed a baseball cap (hence the reason why I want to treat myself to a lightweight baseball cap after this week) and I ran.  There were a couple brave souls that were out there running and some cyclists and I kept plugging right along.  I think the rain must have done something to my speed because I was able to do 2 miles in 26:30...and I walk/ran 4 miles in 56:15...which amounts to a pace of 14:03.75 min/mile...which is way cool for me.  I feel pretty encouraged about it and the route is scenic...if anyone is familiar with Atlanta, it's the Freedom Parkway Trail (the beginning of the Stone Mountain Trail)...One day I want to do the first leg of the trail that I start on (starting at the MLK Center)...and its 8 miles.  I'll probably have to take the train back...or have someone meet me at the end because if I'm going to run about 8 miles...I dunno if i'm ready to walk 8 miles back .

I think its a great idea to post our runs to motivate people...and to gauge our progress.  As we complete the runs, maybe we can add them to our signatures.  The month of October is going to be super ambitious for me...but i'm up for the challenge...and the t-shirts (mainly the t-shirts...don't judge me...i have to have something to look forward to since there are folks that can complete a 5K about as fast as I can run a mile).

October 1-Firefly 5K (Atlanta, GA) ** this one will be at night...and we will have glow-in-the-dark items and they will light the path in the park.

October 16- AIDS Walk & 5K Run (Atlanta, GA) ** this is my first year running this 5K, but my 5th year participating.

October 22- Run Like Hell 5K (Atlanta, GA) ** this one is taking place at Oakland Cemetery and we will run through the cemetery and the surrounding historic neighborhood.

These are the ones I'm registered for so far...I think i'm only going to do 1 in November and 1-2 in December, depending on if I attempt a 10K.  I have to allow for these races in my budget.  I really want one of my races in December to be a 10K...but I don't know just yet, I might just stick to the 5Ks until the New Year.  I'd love to do a New Years Day Race too.

Take Care Ladies!

• ailie13 Amateur 13 posts since
    Jul 27, 2011
    273. Sep 10, 2011 4:58 PM (in response to thickgirlruns)
    July 11th C25K!! Who else is running!?

Hi all,

I DID IT!!! Completed my first 5k this morning in exactly 39 minutes. Not the fastest but I did it! I took a 1 1/2 min walk break at about 1.2 miles and another 1 1/2 walk break at 2.1 miles, then a 30 second walk break at 2.9 miles. I ran with a girlfriend who is a seasoned runner and she very unsefishly stayed with me - it made a huge difference to have her to chat with and for encouragement. I finished strong and as soon as I came though the chute I felt really queasy and had to duck behind a tree. I got sick but it was all water and I was fine right after and replenished with some gatorade and a banana. I know that sounds horrible but it really wasn't awful. I think the nerves, relief and just being tired having run further and for longer than I have ever run before took a physical toll.

So I am taking a couple of days rest and then I will contine to repeat W9 for a couple of weeks until it feels a bit better. It is great to have one down and I look forward to running another in October and improving my time a little. I think I am most pleased that during the entire race, I never thought of quitting and I never said "I can't." That is huge for me.

Hope you all are doing well and having good runs. If I can do this I know you can too!

• njdollhouse Amateur 28 posts since
    Jul 12, 2011
    274. Sep 12, 2011 6:47 AM (in response to ailie13)

Allie--that's so awesome! Congrats on the first 5k! You must be so proud. Mine doesn't come up until Oct 29. I'm excited because it should be crisp fall weather.

Last week was not a great week for me. I ran Sunday and then couldn't go out for days because of the rain. I finally went out Thursday morning and it was just a bad bad run and I stopped 8 minutes in. So I went out Friday and got my 30 minutes in but I felt like I had to fight my way through the last 10 minutes, and even wound up pausing twice for 30 seconds in order to push through. Since I only had two runs for the week, I decided to go out with a friend Saturday morning at the track. Again, another bad bad run and I stopped after about a mile (humid, hot, not shade, BORING!)

So I woke up this morning and I was determined to push through my slump. Was just hitting my stride about 8 minutes in, and my phone came out of the holder and crashed to the sidewalk. The battery popped out and I hastily tried to put it all back together. But, I didn't let that snarfu get in my way. After about two minutes or less of reassembling myself, I picked up where I left off. Restarted the app, and ran through the warm up, and past the halfway mark. So that makes it about 30 min for running today, plus a 2 min mid-run break.

I am finishing up the program now and I've decided to spend a few weeks getting in a comfortable place with running the 30 minutes. I'm also walking a couple of times a week for an hour and will do some cross training (30 Day Shred) 2x a week. By next month, I'll start figuring out how I want to increase my mileage. I really look forward to be hitting 5 miles a run, four times a week, but one thing this program has taught me is that it is a slow, steady process!

Edited to add:

It's now been officially two months since I started running. I've never been so committed to exercise before. Interestingly enough, over the course of the two months, I've actually gained weight, about 4-5lbs. However I have toned up enough that people think I've lost weight. I didn't expect to actually lose weight doing this, calorically we just don't burn enough especially w/o drastic calorie cutting, but I also didn't expect to gain weight. My eating habits have more or less been the same. I just felt compelled to put this out there because I think a lot of people reading about the program may have weight loss expectations. At the average of 100 calories a mile, it's just unlikely to see the scale move w/o diet changes.

Now that I am completing the program and my body is adjusting the regular exercise, I do want to improve on my figure. It's not really about a number on the scale (although it's always very nice!) but I do want to lose some fat and tone tone tone. I've started tracking my food and exercise in hopes that I will see some changes in the next few months.

Aug 8, 2011
    275. Sep 12, 2011 1:09 PM (in response to njdollhouse)

Ailie- Congrats on your 5K...I guess October 1 will be here before I know it.

njdollhouse- I'm glad you said this : It's now been officially two months since I started running. I've never been so committed to exercise before. Interestingly enough, over the course of the two months, I've actually gained weight, about 4-5lbs. However I have toned up enough that people think I've lost weight. I didn't expect to actually lose weight doing this, calorically we just don't burn enough especially w/o drastic calorie cutting, but I also didn't expect to gain weight. My eating habits have more or less been the same. I just felt compelled to put this out there because I think a lot of people reading about the program may have weight loss expectations. At the average of 100 calories a mile, it's just unlikely to see the scale move w/o diet changes.

As far as the running, that Week 8 was a monster of a week for me...and it took me a couple of added tries before I could do it.  One thing I have to say...I loved how you picked that phone up...put it back in the case...started over and hit the ground running (literally!)

People have these delusions of grandeur about what they will get out of C25K and are upset or stop running because they didn't lose weight after the 9 weeks or *gasp* they gained weight.  I gained 3 lb doing C25K...I didn't alter my diet too much and I really don't pay enough attention until pants are just totally falling off of me to notice if I've toned up.  I feel like C25K is just a tool to get us on our way...a ramping off point if you will..as we get faster and stronger, with some diet modifications...we will get leaner.

I finished W9D3 yesterday...I slowed my pace down considerably...I mean considerably.  However, with slowing my pace down to a point where I could sing the songs on my iPod.  I read an article on active.com where they said that a comfortable pace is where you are able to have a conversation...if you are wheezing and sucking wind, that means you need to slow down.  Following that advice, checking my posture often and focusing on my breathing, I was able to run for 45 minutes without stopping.  It took me 49 minutes to run the 5K...but I felt well enough afterwards...I probably could have done another mile, but it was dark...so I passed.  I just wanted to get the 30 minutes knocked out without gasping for dear life...without being in excruciating pain, but I wanted to be challenged...and challenged I was.  I'll work on speed next...and I've been told that your speed will improve as your endurance improves, kinda like training for a 10K could help improve your 5K speed.  I also walk/run areas that have lots of hills on the weekend...so when I'm down on a flat surface, I fare a LOT better, because if I can tackle the hill...I'll be a monster on flat land.

I think I'm just going to keep at the 30 minute runs until after my October 5Ks, instead of repeating C25K...after my 5K runs...I'm going to attempt to tackle Gateway to 8K in November (or before Halloween).  I hope we check back in with each other from time to time, so we can see and celebrate each other's progress and pick each other up when we have rough weeks.

Wish me luck...I'm going to go to a speed clinic this evening and see what pointers I can pick up regarding improving my speed...because I would love to be able to run a mile in under 10 minutes one day.

Aug 2, 2011
    276. Sep 12, 2011 7:34 PM (in response to thickgirlruns)

capivara – Keep at it!  You will get there when you get there.

thickgirlruns – You will do that trail, I have no doubt!  Sounds like you have several fun races coming up.  Good luck!  Thank you for bringing up the advice about what a comfortable pace is.  See my post below about my run yesterday...

ailie13 – Congratulations on completing your first 5K!!  So cool!

njdollhouse – Good for you for pushing through your slump!  I didn’t even realize we had been running for 2 months until you mentioned it.  Yeah us!

I ran my W6D3 yesterday.  I only made it 19 of what should have been 25 minutes.  I was sucking air.  Hard.  I never felt like I found my groove.  Breathing was off.  Rhythm was off.  I had trouble saying “good morning” to people as we passed.  That is not normal for me!  It wasn’t until last night that I thought to check my pace.  I was running a full minute fast than my usual.  Ugh!  No wonder I was struggling.  Thanks again to thickgirlruns for posting about running at a comfortable pace!  I now know I need to slow down so I can talk.  Morning run, here I come!

Aug 2, 2011
    277. Sep 13, 2011 8:26 AM (in response to Shayronnie)

W7D1 today and I did all 25 minutes of it!  I ran at a very comfortable pace, making myself say hello to everyone just to test my ability to do so.  No problem, except when I got home and figured my pace.  It was a whole two minutes slower than my W6D3 run.  Think it might have been too slow.  I felt like I was moving in slow motion and it was 1 minute slower than my normal pace.  Oh well, at least I did it.  I will just have to work on figuring out this whole pace thing while running somehow.

• njdollhouse Amateur 28 posts since
    Jul 12, 2011
    278. Sep 14, 2011 11:18 AM (in response to Shayronnie)

Shayronnie: Congrats on a great start to week 7! I think Week 7 was my favorite week. I hope you have as much fun with it as I did. That was the week that made me feel like a runner.

thickgirlruns: I am wicked impressed by your endurance. I think I need to slow down a bit. One of the reasons I stopped running with my friends was that it got to difficult to run and chat.

I've been having an issue all summer that I think is starting to impact my running a bit. I have an appt to see my primary care physician who specializes in gastroenterologist. Basically I think I may have developed IBS or something very similar, which is problematic first thing in the morning. And I think it is leaving me dehydrated which is making my early morning running a problem. So...while I wait to see him, I'll drink water before I go to bed and two glasses first thing in the morning and have coffee after I go running and see if that helps.

I also downloaded the Bridge to 10K app today. Back to intervals! I've decided to go ahead and start the program on Friday morning. First run is 10min run, 1 min walk 4x. I'll slow my pace. If I stay on schedule, I will be able to run 10k by the time my 5k race comes up. Which would make the 5k race easier I would hope!

• capivara Amateur 20 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    279. Sep 17, 2011 7:40 AM (in response to ThinBound (Jaime))

Hi everybody, congrats on all of the miles and minutes done! Back from vacation, I backed up and did 2 days of week 4, it went fine, and it is on to week 5 next Monday with an early November 5k fun run in mind. 

Aug 8, 2011
    280. Sep 18, 2011 2:58 PM (in response to Shayronnie)

Shayronnie- Congrats on making it the 25 minutes...the fun thing about being this far along in C25K is we can play around and discover what a comfortable pace is.  Like you said...when you were able to do 19 of the 25 minutes, you realized you were going a full minute faster than your normal pace...but when you were able to complete the 25 minutes, but it felt like you were running in slow motion, however you were a full 2 minutes slower than your pace in Week 6 Day 3 and 1 minute slower than your normal pace. Unless you are on a hard and fast time table, the benefit to not having the intervals anymore is that you get to figure out a comfortable pace for yourself through trial and error.  My pace decreased by about 1:40 from Week 6 to now...I keep telling myself that I'm swapping speed for endurance and hopefully I can find that happy medium and gain a little more speed.

njdollhouse- I mix it up a little...I have my day where I'll go alone.  That's usually my thinking time where I just enjoy the solitude and I may focus more on breathing or posture and my pace probably will be slower, but I'm using that time to pay attention to my form, think and just enjoy being outside since the weather has cooled down and I'm so grateful.  My other two days, I run with a group and there are a couple of people that I keep pace with and they are good for motivation because they'll push me and make me laugh or we'll talk a little.  I've been tackling more hills and actually running on the dreaded pavement...but I have to get familiar with all kinds of terrain. 

I'm glad you are getting checked out by your doctor, so you can figure out what is the source of your stomach troubles, so you can be back in business for your early morning runs.  Definitely let us know how you've been doing in the meanwhile.  I checked out both Bridge to 10K and Gateway to 8K...and I was like "intervals...YES!"  Don't let me find out you decided to turn cartwheels for your 1 minute interval because we've become so accustomed to going the whole way through.

capivara- Welcome back from the vacay and onward and upward to Week 5 for you...that November 5K will be yours to tackle and own.  You'll definitely have to keep us posted on your runs too.

n2trung- Welcome and congrats on completing W1D1...i'd probably that say that ranks up there as one of the hardest days.  I didn't really set out to lose weight doing C25K, it was about endurance for me...I know that my weight loss will come faster as my mileage increases.  I will say that I've lost inches because I had to replace my running capris this past weekend.   

Well...my update isn't all that interesting.  I'm still running 3 days a week and I go to spin class 1 day a week. I want to take this stretching and pilates class my gym offers to possibly help with flexibility and increase my range of motion which should be pretty beneficial to runners. I'm trying to psych a friend of mine into starting C25K, but she's giving me excuses...so I managed to get her to walk with me, which is good.  Perhaps, I'll convert her sooner or later...but we usually walk about 4.5-5.0 miles, I teased her and said that once we make it to the point where we are walking 6 miles comfortably...I will drag her kicking and screaming to do this C25K....because my thought process is, if you can just about walk 10K...you will be able to run close to 5K.  I'm keeping my fingers crossed...and keeping hope alive that she'll be encouraged to start running.  I tried the speed training clinic a local running group hosted near me...it was a good learning experience for me.  I will go back from time to time just to see my improvement...right now, my primary focus is building up more endurance...but I checked it out and I survived it, which was important to me.  I felt the burn in my thighs...whoooo did I ever.  We did 1x800, 2x400, 2x200 and 2x100...When I woke up the next day i felt it in my groin area also...so luckily the next day was my rest day and I took it easy. 

So we'll see what I'm up against next week...this October 1, 5K is approaching rapidly!

Aug 2, 2011
    281. Sep 22, 2011 9:56 PM (in response to njdollhouse)

njdollhouse - Thanks!  You might check out http://losingweightinthecity.com/.  If I remember correctly, that blogger has ISB, too.  I was looking for a program to continue after C25K.  After looking into the Bridge to 10K, I think that's the program for me!

thickgirlruns - Thank you!  Your speed clinic sounds interesting.  I will start taking classes at the gym next week.  My schedule lightens up this time of year.  I am thinking pilates and weights for women.  Need to work on my core.

My 5K is this Saturday.  My two goals were to finish and not walk.  I checked out the course earlier this week.  I didn't realize there would be a huge, long hill the entire first half.  My new goals are to finish and only walk if needed, on that hill.  We will see!

• midwifemom Expert 51 posts since
    Jul 6, 2011
    282. Sep 27, 2011 2:54 PM (in response to ThinBound (Jaime))

Kudos to all of you!!  I have been off and on for the last 3 weeks, which has been very diassapointing.  After I completed W7 I was having pretty significant pain in my feet, knees, hips, shins.  I finally went to see the physical therapist where I work and he did an evaluation and basically told me "Your feet are not made for running, but we can make them that way" I have flat feet (which I knew) and collapsed arches (which I didn't know) he said they're severe enough that I need custom inserts and I really need to be wearing my good running shoes every day.  He also gave me some hip strengthening excercises.  So every 2-3 days I have been going to get my feet taped so I can run.  It has made an amazing difference, in that I have very little pain.  The down side is that I have gotten totally off track with my running.  I've run once a week or so, between my work and the rain getting in the way.  The last full run I did I could only go 20 minutes without stopping.  I've been running 3-6 mins, walking 3 mins for 25-30 mins most recently.  I did manage 31 mins on the eliptical last week, which gave me some encouragement, but that is not the same as running outside.  So I'm signed up for my first 5K on Sunday, and I'm going to do it, even though I will probably have to do walk-run intervals.

Keep pushing, Always!

Midwifemom

Keep Pushing, Always.

Midwifemom

Aug 2, 2011
    283. Sep 27, 2011 9:12 PM (in response to midwifemom)

MidwifeMom - Glad to hear you have a plan for your feet!  Good luck with your 5K.  Your race, your pace!

I ran my first 5K on Saturday.  It was awesome!  I actually finished it faster than I had expected.  I did end up walking a bit on the hill, but I'm okay with that.  I'm now doing the Bridge to 10K program.  Have my eye on a Halloween race!  I'm also adding strength & cross training in a couple times a week.

• midwifemom Expert 51 posts since
    Jul 6, 2011
    284. Oct 6, 2011 5:47 PM (in response to Shayronnie)

So the 5K went alright.  I ran the first mile in 12 minutes, I walked most of the 2nd mile in 17 minutes and then I ran most of the 3rd mile in 12, for a finishing time of 41 minutes.  I would have liked to run the whole thing, but I'm just not there yet.  I ran tonite, and I picked up at around week 8. Since I'm using my own music, I ran for 8 songs, which ended up being 29.01 minutes.  I think it's about 2 1/4 miles, maybe 2 1/2  I've never mapped my run, so not sure.  I plan to run Saturday and Monday at 29 minutes and then bump up to 32 for next  week. Hopefully when I get up around 35 minutes I'll be at about a 5K.

Good luck on you 10K, I hope someday to be doing that too!

Keep Pushing, Always!

Midwifemom

Keep Pushing, Always.

Midwifemom

1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...