Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

41347 Views 284 Replies Latest reply: Oct 6, 2011 5:47 PM by midwifemom Go to original post 1 2 3 4 5 ... 19 Previous Next
  • 2011ANewMe Rookie 2 posts since
    Jul 11, 2011
    Currently Being Moderated
    30. Jul 11, 2011 2:41 PM (in response to ThinBound (Jaime))
    Re: July 11th C25K!! Who else is running!?

Hi Everyone....I too have all the excuses not to exercise, my treadmill is covered in clothes that need to be hung up, and the couch calls my name each night after dinner!  But today is different, today is the day I am officially becomming a runner!  I am 37 years old, have a full time job, and have a wonderful 8 year old son, and have NEVER run (not even to the mailbox) before.  I hope to stay committed and finish the journey with everyone!

Courtney

• Poizonivey Rookie 7 posts since
    Jul 10, 2011
    31. Jul 11, 2011 3:24 PM (in response to 2011ANewMe)

Day 1 is offically done!! I would be lying if I said that it was a walk in the park (it was actually a walk/ run in my basement). I was wondering if people are doing the C25K for weight loss or just want to get out there and run. If you are doing it for weight loss, I would highly recommend using the Myfitnesspal.com website. It helps track your calories and exercise. The support there is amazing as well! I look forward to the next 9 weeks, and I hope I can encourage you and learn from you guys as well!

• JaimeLF Amateur 20 posts since
    Jul 10, 2011
    32. Jul 11, 2011 6:16 PM (in response to gymgrace24)

GymGrace24-Welcome!  I can relate with the pushing yourself to hard!  Here's to going at a slower pace this time. 

Jaime-Aww I bet your little one misses his buddy.  Especially if he doesn't remember it really hurting. 

Trina-Enjoy your run!  I did need major motivation.  But if I don't get up, I don't get anything accomplished before the 10 month old keeps me running all day!  I had to sleep with my cellphone in my pillowcase with the alarm on vibrate so I didn't wake anyone up LOL

AmyMB70-I have looked at the Warrior Race as well.  I am going to shoot for the Merrell Down and Dirty which also looks fun.  What are you doing to train for the obsticles?  I have been wondering what I should add to plan for those. 

MissyVal-We have several military wives in this group!  Thanks for your husband's service!  Welcome to the group.  Another MyFitnessPal fan.  I must check this out!

*Oh yea and if I haven't thanked the other ladies with military husbands-Thanks for their service as well!*

Poisonivey-Ahhhhh *drool*...I would love to live in Colorado!  I would love to do the C25K on a treadmill, but do not have one.  I might sign up for a YMCA membership and will then run on the treadmill there.  Congrats on tonights run!!!

Couch2IcecreamTruck25K-Welcome!

TrailBlazer-Thanks for the encouragement!

Nyla100-Welcome!  I love yoga, but have fallen off that wagon more times than I care to admit!  Here's to making it through the program this time!

Courtney-Welcome!  I had a treadmill and it was old and getting run down and became a clothes hanger, so I got rid of it.  I kind of wish that I had it back now LOL  Welcome

• TrinaAK Amateur 12 posts since
    Jul 10, 2011
    34. Jul 11, 2011 9:14 PM (in response to ThinBound (Jaime))

Congrats to everyone who have completed run/walk #1 of a few more to come! 

I'm probably going to alternate between treadmill and jogging outside depending on the time of day and weather.  I always wonder if I'm going fast enough on the treadmill.  Would anyone know what a good speed to start out would be?  I know that speed isn't the most important at this point, but just curious to see if I'm in a good ball-park or not.

Also for the most part, were people thinking about doing the jog/walk 3 times a week or every second day?

Thanks for the input!  Hope everyone had a great Monday (although I wish it were Friday)!

Trina

• edrev Rookie 5 posts since
    Jul 12, 2011
    36. Jul 12, 2011 7:06 AM (in response to ThinBound (Jaime))

Count me in. I'm going to need the extra support! I'm a 27y/o grad student, married, no kids yet. I have to split my time between states for school, so right now I'm in TX with my husband/"coach" (haha!) but in a few weeks I have to leave for another semester (right at the beginning of Week 5). I've never done this before and I'm worried about having to go the rest of the program myself.. hope I can give and get some encouragement here.

• HarleyGlynn Rookie 3 posts since
    Jul 11, 2011
    37. Jul 12, 2011 7:09 AM (in response to ThinBound (Jaime))

Hi all!  I am so glad to see that there are so many who will be doing this with me!  I started a running program a while back but it lasted only a couple weeks before I became discouraged because I wasn't making the mileage in the time it said I should.  Although it claimed to be a beginner plan for a half marathon in 10 weeks, I think I was a little over ambitious taking on such a big run having not run at all in 3 years.  The C25K seems much more manageable and the support of everyone here will keep me moving (I hope!).  Plus, I just started a new job working in the running division for a major charity and seeing all of the people committing to run for such a great cause inspired me to really get back into running so that I can run a race for the cause, too!

I intended to start last night but things did not go as planned (I'm sure you can all relate to life getting in the way).  Anyhow, I am definetely starting tonight, I am making the time, and now I have all of you to hold me to it!  Ideally, I would like to run Mon, Wed, and Fri in addition to my usual workout routine following BodyRock.tv (I'm addicted!)  Combining the two I should definetely lose the last 10 lbs I have been working at!

I can't wait to be a 5K finisher with you all!

• ThinMommy11 Rookie 2 posts since
    Jul 12, 2011
    38. Jul 12, 2011 8:39 AM (in response to ThinBound (Jaime))

Hey Everyone!! Last night (July 11) was my first night of running and I must say...it took all I could do to complete it. I was really just proud of myself for sticking to it and not giving up. I am 27 years old and a stay at home mom to a VERY active 4 year old little boy! If I had half of the energy that he had I think this running would be a breeze! My husband and I are actually trying to do this together, so it is great having someone to encourage me and keep me from giving up! Anyhow, I wish each and every one of you tons of luck! LET'S DO THIS!

Sheri

• Trailblazer68 Rookie 2 posts since
    Jul 11, 2011
    39. Jul 12, 2011 10:44 AM (in response to ThinBound (Jaime))

So I'm starting week 4 tonight and I'm not gonna lie, I'm a little nervous about getting through it.  I remember it from last year and this is a hard week.  Plus, to add to the run I'm trying really hard to work on my posture and technique when I run.  When I'm running with the correct form it slows me down but I can tell I'm not breathing as hard and feel like I'm getting a better workout in my core.  Of course, my husband runs faster than me so he kind of leaves me in the dust but that's ok b/c I don't want him to mess up his pace just to stay back with me.  Wish me luck tonight!! I'll let you know how it goes.

• JaimeLF Amateur 20 posts since
    Jul 10, 2011
    40. Jul 12, 2011 1:42 PM (in response to ThinBound (Jaime))

Jaime (Thinbound)-Congrats on your run last night!  I am ready to start running tomorrow. 

Trina-Not sure on speed.  I try to go fast enough where it is actually a jog but not too fast where I cannot breathe deeply through my nose.  I am not sure if that is right or not!

Edrev-Welcome!

HarleyGlynn-Thanks for mentioning bodyrock.tv.  I have never seen it before and have now spent all day on it.  I ordered most of the equipment to start working out with this program!  In fact I was so inspired, that I created an Incentive blog post complete with pictures.  If you want to check it out go to http://upyourawesome.com

Sheri-Congrats on the run!

Trailblazer68-  I am sure you can do it! 

• njdollhouse Amateur 28 posts since
    Jul 12, 2011
    41. Jul 12, 2011 3:56 PM (in response to ThinBound (Jaime))

Can I join in?

I started the C25K on Sunday and did my second run today. I am 38 years old, have two children, and I work at home part time. I'm determined to hit my 40s in the best shape of my life, and I'm really starting from scratch. I have not worked out consistently in a very long time and now that my kids are getting a little older, I'm carving out time to take care of myself.

I'm doing the program with a like-minded friend and it's really great to have the company. Here in NJ, it was 80 degrees and humid by the time I left the house. The air felt thick. If I did not have a friend depending on me to show up and stick to my end of the agreement, I am certain I would have skipped today. We were so proud. It really is 80% mental.

For the first time in my life, I feel determined and confident that I can become a runner and become FIT.

• indymamaof3 Amateur 10 posts since
    Jul 12, 2011
    42. Jul 12, 2011 7:24 PM (in response to ThinBound (Jaime))

Hi;

I walk/ran day 1 of week 1 today.  After finishing it, I thought that it would be so nice to have a group of friends who were doing the same thing, that I could really benefit from an encouraging support system.  So, when I came across this thread, I was so excited.

I am a 40 year-old mother of three boys and I need to lose weight.  I have walked in 2 mini marathons, unfortunately fell off the fitness wagon.  So, I decided to set my goal on being able to run a 5k, in hopes that I will find something that I enjoy and will keep doing it, even after the races.  I do really well when I have a definate goal (or deadline date a.k.a. race day), but I need to be able to keep going after that and not just be happy with reaching that minor goal, when my ultimate goal is to be a leaner, healthier and sexier momma.

• ThinMommy11 Rookie 2 posts since
    Jul 12, 2011
    43. Jul 12, 2011 8:19 PM (in response to ThinBound (Jaime))

Well although I know that it is recommended to take a day off to let your body recoop, my husband and decided to do the second day of week one today after starting on yesterday. I have to say that I could tell a HUGE difference. Yesterday I honestly thought I was going to die, but today it was as if I had more endurance and could just push it a little harder! For those of you out there who are just starting like me...hang in there! We can and will do this and will feel so much better in the long run!

• Ceviche Rookie 2 posts since
    Dec 11, 2008
    44. Jul 12, 2011 8:53 PM (in response to ThinBound (Jaime))

I'm going to jump on the bandwagon too.  I started running back in 2007, did a marathon in 2008, took a week off for recovery, and haven't been able to get (and stay) back in the groove since.  I've been doing some loose running - not paying attention to time, distance or pace - but now it's time to slowly add some structure with the end goal of a marathon in 2012.

BTW it took me awhile (ok, a pathetically long time) but I figured out how to upload a new avatar.  I copied a bunch of 75x75 avatars from Photobucket to my computer, de-selected the Purple Profile avatar in my Profile (just by clicking on it, basically), browsed and picked the avatar I wanted, and then clicked to upload.

1 2 3 4 5 ... 19 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...