Skip navigation

NEED HELP?|

1439 Views 1 Reply Latest reply: Jul 23, 2011 8:46 AM by susan-n-the black dog
SirenSongWoman Rookie 1 posts since
Jul 6, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Jul 11, 2011 9:59 PM

Walking (vs. other methods) for Slimming Calves?

First, I'm new here and this is my first post so Hello. 

I'm hoping for some thoughts about my big paranoid issue/obsession:  My calves are a hideous 19" at their widest point.  Between trainers and pt's, opinions are split over whether my calf composition is mostly fat (which is largely fixable) or muscle (which largely is not).  I'm the only "big legged" woman in my entire family (no genetic predisposition) but I'm also the only one whose calves had to be strong because I was quite overweight for fifteen years.  When I lost all the weight my calf size did not budge.  Thus, the obsession began in earnest.  Then I developed a left adductor issue that caused off-and-on issues leaving me mostly benched for two years.  Of course, I gained back most of the weight I lost before a pt (with training in Functional Movement Screens) fixed me.  As I start my return to activity I'm reevaluating my objectives (first, work to slim my calves; then, my legs; then all of me) and scrapping everything I used to do (a lot of weight training, very little cardio) until I at least get the legs slimmed down.

I know my focus for what I'm after now should be on endurance exercise.  Just starting back, I'm doing A LOT of walking which is definitely having an impact.  I see new definition and my super-curvy lower legs (small ankles... then the big BULBS!) are looking even curvier, which I would never have believed possible.  I'm also seeing chub coming off around my knees...  As I take my long trail walks I'm passed by runners, bladers, and cyclists and, naturally, I automatically calf shop ('I wish I had those...').  That's when I started wondering 'What IS the best endurance activity for slimming legs with the least likelihood of building more calf mass?'

I'm really hoping to hear from people who've slimmed their legs (calves, especially) and what worked best.  Please please please.  I welcome your opinions and I ain't too proud to beg!

Thanks in advance

• susan-n-the black dog Legend 425 posts since
    Jun 11, 2009

LOL, probably not walking!  Seriously.  I don't have huge calves but as I have lost weight over the years and done miles and miles of walking I have gained calf muscle.  They don't wiggle like they used to but I have huge calves and I'm convinced I always will.  Sometimes we just have to accept what we cannot change.  I will tell you that my formerly large calved co-worker lost a good deal of calf size by bicycling instead of hiking

Susan in CA
    Brazen Racing Bear Creek 10k Aug 09
    Brazen Racing Rocky Ridge 10k Oct 09
    Brazen's Turkey Trot 10k Nov 09
    Walked the Golden Gate Bridge - too cool!

Monterey Big Sur Internationl Half Marathon.(10mile walk)

Brazen's New Years 10k Jan 10

Brazen's Bear Creek 10k MUD FEST Jan 10

Finally, back out on the trails!

Blossom Trail 10k March 2011

Miracle Miles for Kids - May 2011

Brian Waterbury Memorial Rock to the Pier 10k - July 2011 Happy Birthday to me!

So many miles...so little time...

I did it - I signed up for Big Sur - April 2012

Unless you faint, puke or die...keep walking - Jillian Michaels

I can't come in last because I am ahead of those who didn't start!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points