Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

580 Views 1 Reply Latest reply: Jul 13, 2011 7:58 AM by BOSNPM
Rennmaus Pro 61 posts since
Jun 28, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Jul 12, 2011 7:14 PM

switching from low altitude running to high altitude running

I started running some months ago and currently am able to run up to 30min nonstop (I often combine it with walking beforehand and afterwards). I usually run different routes, often they include hills as well. I live at sea level and will spend a month at a much higher altitude (about 2,700 feet high). I plan to keep up with my running as I am used to run every day now, plus I am training for a 5k in the fall. I used to live at a high altitude for 20 years, then moved and have been living at sea level for over 10 years. So usually when I am at an higher altitude it doesn't really affect me, although last year at Big Bear (about 6,000-7,000 ft) I noticed it did affect me. Any advice on how to switch from low altitude running to high altitude running? oh I will be jetlagged for a few days so this needs to be taken into consideration, too.

Looking forward to any advice!

Britta

XTERRA Crystal Cove Trail Run 6k - 52:33.5

Redondo Beach Superbowl Run 10k - 01:05:49

Big Sur Half Marathon on Monterey Bay 11/18/2012

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...