Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

865 Views 1 Reply Latest reply: Jul 14, 2011 10:18 PM by Allie Baba
uncgirl4life Rookie 1 posts since
Jul 14, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Jul 14, 2011 4:48 PM

Tummy dilemma when running!!

I have my first 5k on Saturday and I'm really looking forward to it except for one thing...what if my tummy decides that it's time for me to "go" and I'm in the middle of the race?? My race is at 7pm. I have been training in the mornings and it's very rare that I get through the whole run w/o having to get off the treadmill and go. I know, TMI, but I figured you all would have good suggestions. I have run a few times in the evening (I have 3 small kids so I am usually putting them to bed, etc in the evening and then too worn out to run!) and my digestive system has held up for the whole race. I am just really starting to freak out about this...I guess they don't have porta potties along the way for a 5k since it's a relatively short race. Anyway, thanks for humoring me and my "personal" questions!

• Allie Baba Rookie 3 posts since
    Mar 1, 2011
    Currently Being Moderated
    1. Jul 14, 2011 10:18 PM (in response to uncgirl4life)
    Re: Tummy dilemma when running!!

Ha...Well first of all I don't think we are worried in this forum about TMI....That is what we are here for.  The only thing I can suggest to you is to stay hydrated, and eat early in the day. In your specific case do not eat any later than three hours before your race. Try to go to the bathroom beforehand...but in all reality, when push comes to shove you can always "Go" somewhere. For a 5k the next bathroom will be at the finish line, however if you REALLY feel that you will never make it to the end, then bring some TP and see what happens...I see people all the time making a pit stop in the woods. No-one cares.  Everyone is concerned about their own time and pace.  Good luck.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points