Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1337 Views 5 Replies Latest reply: Aug 9, 2011 5:48 PM by Kenton19
RunninOnE Pro 74 posts since
Apr 10, 2008
Currently Being Moderated

Jul 14, 2011 7:09 PM

Looking to add healthy protein to diet - suggestions please

I've been training since March for summer racing season. Training is going fairly well, but experienced some pretty serious energy issues and had to shut it down for a bit and ease back into mileage. Now I'm back at full speed and training hard again. I've had some energy issues the past year pretty regularly. A typical week of strong training is 60 miles with two hard workouts between 8-10 miles and a long run between 16-20 and easy days the other four or three easy and one off day spent on a road bike.

A few things that have changed:

1) Just went through significant stress at work, at a pretty stressfyl job (that I am now pretty used to)

2) Just moved into new home (after getting married)

3) Have been in training non-stop the past 5 years with only about one month off total in the past 60 (not including a "down" week every fourth week)

4) Have struggled to maintain a consistent weight and have fluctuated about 15 lbs the past 24 months

5) Have added more intense weight regimen past 6 months

My doctor suggested I add more protein, but she admitted that sports nutrition was not her strong point. My friends are all rugby players or weekend warriors who play basketball once a week, and they say everything from eating a ton of chicken breasts a few nights a week (hello aversion to poultry!) to taking a protein supplement after every workout (sounds pricey). I will admit, I have gotten back into nutrition the past 6 months to regulate my weight and that has worked a bit, but I struggle to get much protein on fruits and veggies and turkey sandwiches. And I hesitate to add red meat and still am concerned about mercury from fish, probably unnecessarily.

My questions are:

1) Protein supplements - just after weight work or after runs?

2) Chicken/Turkey? How to keep from getting old

3) Healthy fish suggestions?

4) Anything I am not thinking of?

Look forward to everyones' suggestions!

Act like a horse.  Be dumb.  Just run.

- Jumbo Elliot

Smile, it confuses people.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points