Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

2293 Views 4 Replies Latest reply: Sep 24, 2011 1:44 AM by RNmommyof3 RSS
cmtpt53 Amateur 28 posts since
Jun 26, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Jul 14, 2011 7:10 PM

Running acne?

Ok, this may be a weird thing, but I don't care.  I have been having trouble with acne ever since I started really working out.  I think it has to do with the extra sweat, so I make sure to wash my face after every workout, nut I still have acne that just won't go away.  My skin looks horrible!  Now I'm 22, so I am young, but not pubescent, and I never had acne troubles when I was pubescent so I am really confused as to why my skin is rebelling.

I was just wondering if any other running newbies were having the same trouble, and if anyone had any treatment suggestions.  I take really good car of my skin and this is really frustrating.

• PaRaJiTo Rookie 6 posts since
    Jul 20, 2011
    1. Jul 20, 2011 11:41 AM (in response to cmtpt53)
    Re: Running acne?

I've noticed the same thing! I don't know what is going on

I'm on Week 6 and I was having the same thoughts as you - that maybe it is the running and extra sweat that is making my skin look so horrible.

Anyone have any tips to fix this? Does it go away?

• Julie Ann Hackett Legend 227 posts since
    Nov 20, 2007
    2. Jul 20, 2011 12:50 PM (in response to PaRaJiTo)

I still get a little bit of acne on my face, but don't think that is from working out.  I do get little pimples on my upper arms which I think is from sweat.  I started using a loofah in the shower and that seemed to help.  There are a few body washes out there that have drying agents in them to help prevent acne but I haven't tried them.  I don't think there is a magic cure.  I try to shower right after working out or clean up with baby wipes.

• Terranss Legend 268 posts since
    Feb 14, 2011
    3. Jul 20, 2011 1:31 PM (in response to cmtpt53)

When you first start heavily exercising, your body gets flooded with extra hormones, and glandular response can be overactive at first.  This could be contributing to the acne.  It should balance itself out for you eventually, with random breakouts here and there based on other factors, like stress, etc.  I'm male, and when I first started going to the gym there wasn't a thing I could do about the acne on my chest and back--no amount of scrubbing or showering would take care of the problem.  Now things are pretty much back to normal, even though I haven't changed my workout/personal hygiene routines.

Here's a link with a little blurb about body chemistry when you exercise.  It's pretty crazy to think that hitting the pavement causes all this to happen!

http://www.faqs.org/sports-science/Ha-Ja/Hormonal-Response-to-Exercise.html

• RNmommyof3 Rookie 5 posts since
    Jan 3, 2011
    4. Sep 24, 2011 1:44 AM (in response to cmtpt53)
    Running acne?

I have very dry skin but on forehead, when running, sweaty I get horrible acne.  Headbands help a little but not all the way.  If you have normal to combo skin anyway, maybe try the oily skin products where your breakouts are.  I find it's to harsh for my dry skin tho, so I just remember to wash when I get home, & hope it will even out eventually!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...