Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

612 Views 2 Replies Latest reply: Jul 19, 2011 10:50 PM by crl8686
ThinBound (Jaime) Pro 113 posts since
May 31, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Jul 17, 2011 9:17 AM

Outside run at a lower pace or not?

Need some advice. I've just finished week 1 of C25K and all this time  I've been running in place at home and doing great BUT today I went  outside (since it was cool) and tried to do the same week 1 run with the  jogging stroller. It wasn't nearly as easy! I can't run at my usual  workout time with him since it's late and he's already in bed but I was  thinking I should start daily running outside (at wk 1 pace) even though  I'll be running wk 2 indoors...keeping my outside runs a week behind my inside runs. I have no idea if I'll have to run with  my son on my race day or not so I want to be prepared. It was hard but I  had a great time this morning. What do you think, daily run with  stroller at lower pace to build up endurance or not? Basically on the days I'm not running indoors, I'd run outside weather permitting.

Thinbound (Jaime)

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,422 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    1. Jul 19, 2011 12:01 PM (in response to ThinBound (Jaime))
    Re: Outside run at a lower pace or not?

Are you "running in place" indoors or on a treadmill?  It is NOT recommended to run on consecutive days during C25K.  So your choice is to run indoors or outdoors with the jogging stroller.  Clearly you'll run faster by yourself than with the stroller but pace is not a factor in completing C25K.  It is a matter of doing the workouts.  So do whichever one works for you on a given day.

Len

Len

• crl8686 Legend 1,306 posts since
    Nov 11, 2007
    2. Jul 19, 2011 10:50 PM (in response to ThinBound (Jaime))
    Re: Outside run at a lower pace or not?

If you're actually running in place, you're using very different muscles from either street running or treadmill running. Running in place is better than nothing, but it's not particularly good training for a race. I think you'd be a lot better off dropping the running in place and instead following the C25K program outdoors with the jogging stroller.

2014 highlights...

@ 5K: Angels Baseball Foundation 5K, Anaheim, CA, 24:15

Friends of the Villa Park Library 5K, Villa Park, CA, 24:10

Coronado Independence Day 5K, Coronado, CA, 24:36

@ 10K: Great Race of Agoura - Old Agoura 10K, Agoura Hills, CA, 50:31

Fiesta Days Run, La Canada, CA, 50:29

LA Cancer Challenge, West Los Angeles, CA, 50:25

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points