Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

752 Views 2 Replies Latest reply: Jul 18, 2011 3:35 PM by ALDEA MARIE RSS
fish4funlady Rookie 4 posts since
Jul 17, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Jul 17, 2011 12:51 PM

All these 5's mean something

Hello all - newbie here. I'll be 55 this week, and as I take stock I see I'm 5'5" tall and 55 lbs. over weight.  Whoa, all these 5's! So I've decided to add another 5...this time a goal to run a 5K. Now, all these years, me 'n the DD "girls" haven't been so keen on running. My current routine included spinning class 4-5 times a month, 30-minute weight loss intervals on the  treadmill 2-3 times a week, hot yoga every now and again and strength training 2-3 times a week.  I don't know why, but now seems like the right time to start running! I'm going to begin the C25K program at 6:30 in the morning. I downloaded Running Mate Media podcasts, I have a new pair of professionally fitted New Balance shoes and a well fitting sports bra and I'm ready to rock. I have several questions I'd love to get some experienced input. I'll put them out as individual questions. Thanks in advance for input and advice! Wishing us all success!

• cmtpt53 Amateur 28 posts since
    Jun 26, 2011
    1. Jul 17, 2011 3:47 PM (in response to fish4funlady)
    Re: All these 5's mean something

Welcome!  And Good Luck!  There are so many people on this forum who are here in the same or similar situation to you, that finding motivation is never a problem and no question goes unanswered!  I myself am in the midst of week 6 of the program and have tried dozens of different workout programs.  This one is the first on to successfully get me running!  It could be because of where I am in life, but I think it is because this program is designed to show you progress quickly.  I never imagined that I could run a mile without walking and on Friday I ran 2 without stopping! (and lost 20lbs along the way).  It sounds to me like you are ready for success! You've got your shoes, bras and podcasts, now all you have to do is get out there and kick some asphalt!

• ALDEA MARIE Rookie 3 posts since
    Jun 23, 2011
    2. Jul 18, 2011 3:35 PM (in response to fish4funlady)
    Re: All these 5's mean something

Happy Birthday!  You are committed to this goal, I can tell.  It will be life changing too.  I also am 55 (1/2), 5'5" and lost enough weight to enjoy exercising again.  You will feel and look younger too.  Congrats on your new age-defying adventure!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...