Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

765 Views 2 Replies Latest reply: Jul 17, 2011 3:39 PM by cmtpt53
fish4funlady Rookie 4 posts since
Jul 17, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Jul 17, 2011 12:58 PM

Yoga and running

I'm starting C25K Week 1 Day 1 tomorrow. I've also been thinking of restarting a hot yoga practice on the alternating days. Any thoughts on if this is a good idea?

• Alissandrya Amateur 49 posts since
    Nov 29, 2007
    1. Jul 17, 2011 2:44 PM (in response to fish4funlady)
    Re: Yoga and running

Yoga may just be the perfect cross training for running as it builds endurance and flexibility.  It should help you avoid injuries.  Also, if you are trying to lose weight, the yoga is going to really help as the running in the C25K does not burn as many calories (especially in the beginning) as you likely need for real weight loss.  Best of Luck!

• cmtpt53 Amateur 28 posts since
    Jun 26, 2011
    2. Jul 17, 2011 3:39 PM (in response to fish4funlady)
    Re: Yoga and running

That is an excellent idea!  Yoga is perfect for runners because it helps improve flexibility, which can be a problem for runners who don't spend extra time on flexibility.  This will help prevent injury, which is a good thing, but yoga has so many great benefits on it's own!  I practice Kundalini yoga and every now and then throw in a hot yoga session, and I find it extremely refreshing and a great way to improve the body for running.  Definitely do it.  It will definitely be a good decision!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points