NEED HELP?|

1423 Views 3 Replies Latest reply: Jul 22, 2011 4:02 PM by tripolson
Larry Jacoinski Amateur 8 posts since
Apr 8, 2009
Currently Being Moderated

Jul 21, 2011 7:23 AM

70.3 meltdown

Hi Guys,

I just completed the 70.3 Amica half Ironman in Providence RI.  At the begining of the run both of my quads locked up on me.  From that point on I could only jog 100ft at a time before they would lock up again.  I thought I had hydrated enough throughout the race:

• 300 oz of water/gatoraide during the bike
  • 2 bananas and one power bar on the ride
  • 7 GUs on the ride
  • Stopped at every aid station to get more fluid on both the bike and run

Was this cramping from lack of electrolyte/sodium?  Should I have consumed more?  Or could it be a lack of training (doubt it but you never know).  Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

• mjm 62 Pro 91 posts since
    May 18, 2008
    1. Jul 21, 2011 11:48 AM (in response to Larry Jacoinski)
    Re: 70.3 meltdown

Larry,sorry to here of your misfortune,it doesn't sound like low electrolytes but  total quad failure.I'm assuming during your training you did a lot of bike/run bricks.Did you incorporate leg training?Was the course hillier than you had planned?Tough lesson for sure,I'm a big fan of squats and calf raises and my "wheels" have not fallen off yet,28 triathlons,6marathons 13 halfs and I'm 49,best of luck,Mike

Cape Coral Yacht club sprint 1:03

FGCU sprint 1:03

Columbus Marathon 3:50-2010

Gator Half Ironman 5:43-2009

Venice sprint 1:09/25th overall

Captiva sprint 1:04

• pacificfit Legend 147 posts since
    Jan 9, 2008
    2. Jul 22, 2011 11:17 AM (in response to Larry Jacoinski)

Typically you see quad and medial glute spasm occur just as much on the bike as on the run, and in that case, it is usually due to either tight or adhesed external rotators from upper hip immobility. Usually, that type of immobility is traced to a stuck sacroiliac joint, or a gluteus medius section that needs soft tissue work or trigger therapy.

I suppose it’s possible that your run spasm could have been due to training leading up to the race on the bike, or your bike utilization at the race, in which case you could have your SI joint adjusted and do a ton of foam roller work on the external rotators.

However, if this were more of a nutrition issue, I would certainly be looking into: A) potassium (bear in mind that adrenal exhaustion, overtraining or inadequate recovery will cause increased sodium excretion and potassium retention, which can lead to elecrolyte imbalances and cramping); B) magnesium (over 75% of endurance athletes are deficient, and this could be addressed via use of a topical magnesium rubbed into arms and legs pre training/racing, along with 250-500mg magnesium citrate like Natural Calm before bed each night); C) glycogen depletion (unlikely if you were fueled up, but certainly possible).

Hope that helps!

Ben Greenfield

My blog is at http://www.BenGreenfieldFitness.com

Also, I'm giving away a free 7-part series on "How To Become Superhuman" at http://www.SuperhumanCoach.com

• tripolson Pro 75 posts since
    Oct 15, 2007
    3. Jul 22, 2011 4:02 PM (in response to Larry Jacoinski)

Did you actually drink 300 oz. of fluid during the ride or is that a typo?  If you did, my best guess is that you depleted your electrolyte levels by drinking too much water.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points