Skip navigation

2217 Views 18 Replies Latest reply: Jul 26, 2011 7:41 PM by Jim__767 RSS 1 2 Previous Next
DougSloan Amateur 15 posts since
Nov 25, 2008
Currently Being Moderated

Jul 22, 2011 1:25 PM

No box left?

Another question.

Late in the game, after much sliding and batting, the batter's box (and catcher's) lines are completely gone. Can a batter be guilty of stepping out of the box at that point? Does there remain a mythical box that the batter is required to remain in? Thanks.

• Rich_Ives Legend 1,283 posts since
    May 25, 2007
    1. Jul 22, 2011 2:06 PM (in response to DougSloan)
    Re: No box left?

Erasing the lines does NOT mean there is no batter's box any more than erasing all the foul lines means all hits are fair.

So the answers to your two questions are

Yes

Yes

It's located and sized by rule.  An umpire will often redraw part of it with his foot or a borrowed bat.

Are you related to Larry1953 and/or typikon?

• NELL_blue Legend 303 posts since
    May 21, 2010
    2. Jul 22, 2011 2:44 PM (in response to DougSloan)

I sure know it gets tougher in the later innings, but I always have a good sense of the box from years of standing back there. I will say it doesn't get abused much in my opinion!

Better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it!

• TheMouth__1 Legend 917 posts since
    May 30, 2007
    3. Jul 23, 2011 7:25 AM (in response to DougSloan)

If the Batters Box gets eroded through normal play (sliding and catchers and umpires movement) I will redraw the lines with a bat.  If a batter starts to erase them as he is in the box, I will stop him.  The batters box is always a constant in the game.   TM

• STL__Ump Pro 133 posts since
    May 2, 2001
    4. Jul 25, 2011 11:44 AM (in response to DougSloan)

As others have said, Yes... but I would be hard pressed to call an out for illegal contact with no box lines for anyone to see what he had stepped out of.

He'd have to be WAAAYYY out of that imaginary box for me to call and out.

May 25, 2007
    5. Jul 25, 2011 12:08 PM (in response to STL__Ump)

1) The box isn't imaginary. It's more like Harvey.

2) You should have a really strong feel for where it is by now.

3) Redraw it as others have suggested.

• STL__Ump Pro 133 posts since
    May 2, 2001
    6. Jul 25, 2011 12:31 PM (in response to Rich_Ives)

1) The box isn't imaginary. It's more like Harvey.

I concur...

2) You should have a really strong feel for where it is by now.

I do thank you very much...

3) Redraw it as others have suggested.

I do, but in our late summer sand box those lines tend to disappear pretty fast.
    May 25, 2007
    8. Jul 25, 2011 2:47 PM (in response to DougSloan)

The batter has to be in the box.  Have the umpire redraw it and tell them to get into it.  It's not rocket science.

• beowulf37 Legend 219 posts since
    May 25, 2007
    9. Jul 25, 2011 8:55 PM (in response to DougSloan)

There IS a box.  However, any umpire who "redraws" the box should have his head examined (although he'd be in the waiting room with a bunch of rats).  If you want to bring those big wooden baox markers in after each half-inning, have at it.  A batter has to be WAY out of the box to have it called late in a game, and even then, it's probably the umpires fault for letting the batter set up close enough to be considered "out of the box".

Listen to rats all you want, but any umpire worth his salt will NEVER have to make that call.

May 25, 2007
    10. Jul 25, 2011 9:27 PM (in response to beowulf37)

Your proctologist called - he found your head.

• beowulf37 Legend 219 posts since
    May 25, 2007
    11. Jul 25, 2011 9:59 PM (in response to Rich_Ives)
    Right alongside the "out of the box" call the rat wants....  rats being rats........  can't change their nature.  Can't win the game?  Can't be the rat's fault.  Must be the umpire's.  Batter was an inch out of the box when he hit that HR?  Although there are no lines left to actually tell?  THAT'S the real problem.  Right?  Rat?
  • TheMouth__1 Legend 917 posts since
    May 30, 2007
    12. Jul 26, 2011 4:59 AM (in response to beowulf37)

Say "Cheese" Wolf......the mayor of your village called and they want you to come home.    TM

• Mike_CVUA Legend 593 posts since
    May 25, 2007
    13. Jul 26, 2011 5:23 AM (in response to DougSloan)

Doug,

Consider the case when you league is too chintzy to buy lime for the lines and the box, or you are doing a game after a rainstorm.

Most of the time, the batters will stand correctly, and you don't need to nudge anybody.

However, in the younger game, you will see kids square to bunt, and their foot will be either right on top of home plate or right behind it.  This is an easy call for an IBB.  But I quickly point out, you better be 100% sure.  You can surely make your case that the foot was out of the box then.

But hardly any other time!  So don't go looking for trouble!

In one case, I noticed that the batter was way back in the box, and sometimes he stepped BACK to swing.  The umpire borrowed his bat and drew about a 3" line at what he felt was the back of the box.  He was more interested in the safety of the catcher rather than leaping on an IBB.  For youth ball, this is probably useful and proper.

JMO.

Mike CVUA

• PirateMike1973 Amateur 14 posts since
    Jul 11, 2011
    14. Jul 26, 2011 6:09 AM (in response to Mike_CVUA)

I think most of the posts here are correct- if the lines have been obscured during the course of the game, then by all means the PU can (& should) re-draw the lines, most importantly the front & rear lines.  The safety of the catcher on the rear line and common sense on the front because some batters who will edge forward when they think an off speed pitch is coming.  All the umpires I have worked with would have no problem re-drawing the lines, if they think there is a developing issue or abuse of the lines being "gone" due to play/rain etc.

In practice, most fields, no matter how well cared for, have "spots" in the box where the majority of batters stand.

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points